How to identify if a tablet-optimised version of an app is available

ozaz

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm a long time iPad user thinking of switching to Galaxy Tab S8 when I upgrade soon.

One of my concerns is the relative lack of tablet-optimised apps on Android - which I keep hearing about in Android tablet reviews. However, it might be a non-issue for me as I don't really use many apps on my iPad.

Is there a way to identify if a specific Android app has a tablet optimised version prior to actually buying an Android tablet?

By tablet-optimised I mean an app that isn't simply the phone version scaled up to larger screen size.

Thanks

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
By tablet-optimised I mean an app that isn't simply the phone version scaled up to larger screen size.

I guess my first question is what would you consider to be tablet optimized when it comes to apps?

But as far as I know, there is no way to tell ahead of time unless the developer specifically mentions it in the app description. There have been times where a developer will have multiple versions of their app in the Play store, which can have restrictions so you only see the version applicable to your device.

For example, an older version for older and weaker phones restricted based on the OS version. If you have an up to date device, you'll get the current app version with all the current features. If you have an outdated phone, you'd be given an older version of the app that's compatible but isn't kept up to date. This sort of filtering is done server side based on the developer's filter rules, happening automatically to only show you compatible apps when searching for something. It's possible a developer could see up a filter for tablets, but there's no way for you to tell if that's what you are seeing.

ozaz

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I guess my first question is what would you consider to be tablet optimized when it comes to apps?

Apps that have modifications to their interface on a tablet to take advantage of extra screen space.
For example OneNote on iPad is not just a scaled up version of OneNote on iPhone

iPhone: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/microsoft-onenote/id410395246?platform=iphone
iPad: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/microsoft-onenote/id410395246?platform=ipad

But as far as I know, there is no way to tell ahead of time unless the developer specifically mentions it in the app description. There have been times where a developer will have multiple versions of their app in the Play store, which can have restrictions so you only see the version applicable to your device.

For example, an older version for older and weaker phones restricted based on the OS version. If you have an up to date device, you'll get the current app version with all the current features. If you have an outdated phone, you'd be given an older version of the app that's compatible but isn't kept up to date. This sort of filtering is done server side based on the developer's filter rules, happening automatically to only show you compatible apps when searching for something. It's possible a developer could see up a filter for tablets, but there's no way for you to tell if that's what you are seeing.

Ok thanks.

Thomas_George

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
When app developers publish their apps on the Google Play Store, they have to declare explicitly whether their apps only support phones or also support tablet or wearables. In addition, Google requires at least one tablet screenshot for those apps which support tablet devices.

ozaz

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
When app developers publish their apps on the Google Play Store, they have to declare explicitly whether their apps only support phones or also support tablet or wearables. In addition, Google requires at least one tablet screenshot for those apps which support tablet devices.

When you say supports tablets are you referring to provision of a dedicated tablet interface (rather than just the phone interface running on a tablet)?

How do consumers access info on whether or not a developer has declared tablet support for an app?

Are you sure about the screenshot thing?
From what I've read, I'm pretty sure Microsoft Outlook (for example) has a dedicated tablet interface, but when I access it's Google Play Store entry it doesn't include any tablet screenshots. This is the case even when accessing from a web browser on a PC without being signed into my Google account.

Thomas_George

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
When you say supports tablets are you referring to provision of a dedicated tablet interface (rather than just the phone interface running on a tablet)?

ANS: This varies from app to app. Some apps offer a full-new UI for tablets, while others only make sure they work well on tablets.

How do consumers access info on whether or not a developer has declared tablet support for an app?

ANS: In general, when you log in the Google Play Store app on a tablet, it will automatically have a match and only those apps which support your tablet will be available.

Are you sure about the screenshot thing?
From what I've read, I'm pretty sure Microsoft Outlook (for example) has a dedicated tablet interface, but when I access it's Google Play Store entry it doesn't include any tablet screenshots. This is the case even when accessing from a web browser on a PC without being signed into my Google account.

ANS: I am not sure abour Microsoft Outlook app.
But for example, open your web browser and navigate to the home page of the Google Play at first, play.google.com
Key in the keywords of 'pure smart unit converter pro' in the search box and then search.
Tap the first found app, Smart Unit Converter Pure/Free.
Check the screenshots of this app. Here you will find the last 2 screenshots are about that app running on a tablet. Right? :)

Last edited: