[How To][Links] ROMs/Themes and Kernels ~# Updated 3/20/11 #~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Can you flash theme over theme?

Or

Flash Rom over existing theme, reboot, then flash new theme?

Depends on how deep the customization of the themes is. If the theme you were running before has more and deeper customizations, chances are they are going to carry over and cause some force close issues. If you know the new theme has more customizations, no problem, just wipe cache and dalvik cache prior to flashing. If you're not sure which one has more customization, you will always be safe with the second option.

Last edited:
Reactions: k rock

floater#AC

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Depends on how deep the customization of the themes is. If the theme you were running before has more and deeper customizations, chances are they are going to carry over and cause some force close issues. If you know the new theme has more customizations, no problem, just wipe cache and dalvik cache prior to flashing. If you're not sure which one has more customization, you will always be save with the second option.

i didnt even think about that thanks for the info

cwd500

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I am thinking about flashing a theme, but if I don't like it is all I have to do is restore my back up I made in cwm?

sent from my super clean 2.9 fascinate

mengineer

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking about flashing a theme, but if I don't like it is all I have to do is restore my back up I made in cwm?

As long as you have a nandroid backup of just the bare rom itself, sounds like you do if this will be your first theme, with no themes on top of it yes, just clear the cache and dalvik cache first to prevent any problems, you should also do this before flashing a theme. If for any reason you have a problem after restoring the backup just reflash superclean from clockwork, you won't loose any of the data on your phone.

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
As long as you have a nandroid backup of just the bare rom itself, sounds like you do if this will be your first theme, with no themes on top of it yes, just clear the cache and dalvik cache first to prevent any problems, you should also do this before flashing a theme. If for any reason you have a problem after restoring the backup just reflash superclean from clockwork, you won't loose any of the data on your phone.

You can flash some themes right on top of others.. There may be some residual elements that are left.

Reactions: mengineer

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Actually I have found if you don't have a lot of stuff in your nandroid backup meaning the ROM plus about 5 or 6 patches and mods, it's probably better and quicker just to go into cwm and install each component again. Restoring a nandroid can take quite a while and Jakar99, Suicide Shift, and I have been finding all kinds of issues and problems trying to restore a nandroid backup that contains much more than just the ROM. You can read our trials and tribulations in previous posts in this thread.

Reactions: mengineer

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Restore Update E: Started by attempting to fresh install of SC 2.9.. ROM installed minus the market - restored from Ti Backup - forceclosed.. Attempted to fix permissions with ROM manager (3.0.1.x) - no luck.. did not fix permissions. Removed ROM Manager 3.0.1.x - Installed Adrynalyne's corrected version 3.0.0.7 - Fixed permissions. (rebooted). Reinstalled market from Ti Backup - Clean install of SC 2.9 - Fixed permissions (reboot) - Backed up with 2.5.1.x.

Installed NitroComb 1.0 - Succeeded.. Fixed permissions - Rebooted - and backed up - NitroComb themed ROM -

Restored most recent backup of SC 2.9 - Success.

Attempt to restore NitroComb themed ROM - Fail. Stalled at boot animation.

Overall 'minor' success in being able to install a new theme over an older backup - I had to fix permissions on the older base ROM to get the theme to install and not rebooting into boot animation and getting stuck..

Reactions: Landshark

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong.

Ive tried to flash2 themes today,both without success. I tried :TransBlueHoneyCmbV9 for sc2.91
and the 1.5 steel blue theme. Steel blue had major force closing issues and the TransBlueHoneyCmbV9 for sc2.91 had force closing loop issues.

Im running sc 2.9.1 on EB01 I wiped the cache and dalvik cache numerous times before flashing each,I even tried re-flashing both in hopes to get them running..really bums me out because I like both those themes...

I did notice as i was watching the phone as it flased,the status bar was moving up as data was being loaded that about half way thru it stopped and said it has finished successfully(dont know if that matters)

Last edited:

JaeKar99

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong.

Ive tried to flash2 themes today,both without success. I tried :TransBlueHoneyCmbV9 for sc2.91
and the 1.5 steel blue theme. Steel blue had major force closing issues and the TransBlueHoneyCmbV9 for sc2.91 had force closing loop issues.

Im running sc 2.9.1 on EB01 I wiped the cache and dalvik cache numerous times before flashing each,I even tried re-flashing both in hopes to get them running..really bums me out because I like both those themes...

I did notice as i was watching the phone as it flased,the status bar was moving up as data was being loaded that about half way thru it stopped and said it has finished successfully(dont know if that matters)

I started having problems with flashing themes recently as well.. almost all have been stuck at the boot animation screen and I have to battery pull and restore a backup. I was able to fix permissions with an older version of ROM Manager and get one to install but I have been having issues with apps not re-installing and lots of forced closes on my communication apps...

You may have to fresh install 2.9 then try to install the theme you want. - the only other option that has worked for me is to fix permissions then do the theme install.

Reactions: H2o

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
ill try that--:) Thanks
**EDIT**
It worked JaeKar99. I reflashed 2.9 and 2.9.1 (wiped the cache and dalvik cache before each) then went into ROM manager and fixed permissions,went back to CM wiped everything again and flashed the theme. Everything is working(so far)

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

mengineer

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for answering in more detail guys, I have to start adding better detail more often. Seems like the handful of yous are always answering a majority of the questions, and I know a nice amount of the info so it's seems only fair to do my part. Thanks for doing the tests lately too with nandroid. So far with every rom since SC2.5 I've tried to do a nandroid restore of just the rom and with 2.9 it finally worked but it took for ever. Like you said it's faster to just reflash the rom itself. On top of that though I've always tried doing a restore with the Honeycomb theme also and it never worked, but on 2.9 it kinda sorta worked. It booted up fully but after that it was vibration and force closure galore. With 2.9 I also tried doing a nandroid restore of Honeycomb flashed on top of Nitrocomb and got the same thing, booted up but constant force closures after that. I'm liking the way Honeycomb looks over Nitrocomb, it makes for a complete theme Google widgets and all, seeing as mob87's done working on Honeycomb. Never had a problem putting one on top of the other, I just always make sure to clear cache/dalvik between everything I flash and fix permissions for major changes.

Reactions: Landshark

k rock

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
What does fix permissions mean/do? I see it in cwm but have no idea what it's for.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Permissions:
When your phone boots up for the first time and apps are installed they create a corresponding data folder these folders are assigned a User ID. which the app apk becomes owner of. the ID is assigned in installation order.
Now if for some reason a data folder goes missing as in deleted or corrupted these UID's are regenerated but since they are not doing it in installation order the system instead assigns the ID in alphabetical order.. When this is done the data folders no longer match the application. So when the apk goes to look for its data it finds something that has nothing to do with it. BOOM force close city. We usually fix this by wiping data and letting the apk's reinstall thereby recreating its data folders and reassigning UID's .
when you fix permissions the system goes and corrects this alphabetical mismatch. And you are back to normal. Here is a visual representation of this

fixpermissionsexpl.png

How a Malicious app with root access could theoretically use permissions:
A malicious app could in theory create a Group ID and be a Co-owner of a particular UID, therefore retrieving whatever is created in the original data folder. Here is a visual of what this would look like

maliciousGID-1.png

Fixing Permissions:
Unfortunatly on both Red clockwork's cwm froyo and cwm ALL fix permissions option is broken.
In order to fix permissions you must do it through either ADB commands or from a terminal emulator.

Before being able to use either method to fix permisions you must flash THIS via clockwork (see post #5 flashing a zip)

All methods require superuser permissions (Root)

Fixing from terminal emulator
Download any free Terminal Emulator from the market
from the prompt($) type

$su

(superuser app may ask to allow permission, hit allow. this will change $ to # then)
then type

#fxpms

it should look similar to this

20110313061201-1.png

Fixing with ADB commands
If you dont know how to use adb you can follow this tutorial http://forum.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/56697-how-quick-adb.html and get familiar with it.
I'm assuming if you are attempting to use adb that you know the basics.

Option 1) from command prompt

>adb shell fxpms

adbshellfxpms.png

Option 2)from command prompt

>adb shell

#fxpms

fxpmsadb.png

Last edited:
Reactions: k rock and JaeKar99

madmike283

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Silly question - How to change theme back to SC 2.9

I haven't been around and changed anything on my phone in a couple of months. So today I upgraded to Superclean 2.9 non-voodoo. I'm liking the change. I then changed to Blackish Storm theme. I'm not sure I like it and would like to change back to the UI/graphics of the SC 2.9 theme. How do I do that? Do I have to flash the ROM again? Will that erase any of my setup, etc. if I don't choose to wipe data? Thanks.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been around and changed anything on my phone in a couple of months. So today I upgraded to Superclean 2.9 non-voodoo. I'm liking the change. I then changed to Blackish Storm theme. I'm not sure I like it and would like to change back to the UI/graphics of the SC 2.9 theme. How do I do that? Do I have to flash the ROM again? Will that erase any of my setup, etc. if I don't choose to wipe data? Thanks.

you will have to flash the rom again. you wont loose anthing. dont data and cache wipe. just flash rom.

Reactions: Sheepdog Elite

bubbadogg14

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
The only way I kno is reflashing the rom thru cwm.. U dnt have 2 wipe but I would try nitrodark nitrocomb or im likin trans blue honeycomb v9 rite now before flashin 2 stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tudi23