How to manually read email accounts

TRB-in-Oz

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I've just upgraded from an S5 to an S9+

On the S5 I had all email accounts set for manually reading. I don't like the term sync as I'm not using IMAP nor syncing multiple devices. I'm just manually checking if I have any new mail when it suits me.

On the S5 Inbox screen it has 4 icons at the very bottom and one of them is a Refresh button (a circle with an arrow tip) and that is there for manually checking for new mail.

On the S9 I cannot find any similar feature. The only way I can get any new mail is to enable Auto-sync that I detest.

So I would appreciate some help from any genius on this forum, thank you :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try swiping down on the screen, which is the standard gesture for Refresh.

TRB-in-Oz

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome BD :)

Perhaps moving from an S5 to an S9 is too big a familiarity jump?

My grandkids would have figured it a flash.

Thanks mate :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So I assume that worked, right?

The S5 didn't get any higher than Android 6, while the S9 should be on Android 10 -- 4 major Android versions ahead. There have been a LOT of changes over that time frame.:)

TRB-in-Oz

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Yes, worked perfectly thank you :)

I checked and it is Android 10.

One other slightly annoying email thing... on the S5 there was a 'mark all' box to tick for bulk deletion. On the S9 there's no such box and each email individually seems to need a 2 second touch to get a tick. Annoying when I have a dozen to delete :(

TRB-in-Oz

May 23, 2021
Visit site
With long-press of any email I get a small window at the top containing an undo arrow with a count of emails ticked, a trash bin, an envelope icon that opens/closes on touch but does nothing else and 3 vertical dots that open up to offer only 'Add star'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia