How to remove invasive 'Opt Out' Pop Ups?

A

AC Question

Hi fellow techies! As of yesterday, I starting having a problem with what appears to be pop ups showing up randomly on my phone. It is a tiny rectangle that's about 6×1 in cm and has either a small gray x in the top right corner or a gray 'close' option, with an opt out option. It is not limited to popping up only when on a browser. It pops up even in apps and on my home screen, when all apps are closed. Tried Avast antivirus along with Advanced Mobile Care, Airpush detector, and Stopbadapp in hopes of identifying it and removing it, but to no avail...it still persists. I also opted out of ads on Google thinking that was it. Any idea what is causing this? Is it a form of Malware or Adware? How can I get rid of it?

Bellum19

Dec 10, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Ok so it seems I have had the same issue as posted. Out of no where without even downloading any new apps, files, email attachments in recent days, I started having ads pop up on my home screen and in other apps. A small "Opt-Out" button was overlayed on my screen on the bottom left side.

Note- My system resources also spiked dramatically when I first started having ads. Slowing down my phone as a whole.

No anti-virus programs that I have used have picked up anything.

Safe mode did verify that the ads are coming from a third party app.

I deleted multiple apps from my device until the overlay disappeared and I have stopped receiving any ads.

Without knowing for sure on what app was causing it, it seems like it was an old "video to audio" app I didn't use anymore.

Also I recommend making sure any google email accounts do NOT automatically download file attachments when the email is opened. For what ever reason that is set to default. Simply go into account settings to change it.

Phone: Galaxy S6
Android

Hope this helps,
-Nick

Frank Milby

Dec 10, 2017
Visit site
Here's what i did to get rid of 'consumercare-optout.com' ads that shows on my android phone. First i did uninstall the HD Wallpaper apps, nothing happen the ads still showing up.
Then i uninstalled these 3 programs 'paid apps gone free', 'find a way addictive puzzle' and nostalgic sliding puzzle game. I don't know which one of the 3 is the culprit but the ads never shows up.

rodriguesisac

Dec 11, 2017
Visit site
Re: Traduzir para português remove invasive 'Opt Out' Pop Ups?

Entrei aqui para resolver um problema relacionado a um malwere, mas como tudo está em inglês, e eu não tenho intimidade com o idioma, gostaria de receber orientação em português.
Obrigado.

Kitteh Skittles

Dec 11, 2017
Visit site

This happened to me starting yesterday. I was able to see the name of the app doing it, it was music download player. I've had this app for months and it just started doing it yesterday. I deleted it and no pop ups so far.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Entrei aqui para resolver um problema relacionado a um malwere, mas como tudo está em inglês, e eu não tenho intimidade com o idioma, gostaria de receber orientação em português.
Obrigado.
203198db58de8a0be20c46af25d66cc8.jpg

This happened to me starting yesterday. I was able to see the name of the app doing it, it was music download player. I've had this app for months and it just started doing it yesterday. I deleted it and no pop ups so far.
Thank you for your feedback and welcome as a new member. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

S_coh36

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
I had this same problem and fixed it finally after 3 days! All you have to do is find the app with the adware and uninstall it. Took me forever and the culprit turned out to be Stubhub (so don't be fooled if you think only bootleg apps could have the adware).

I used the "lookout" app to identify the problem, a lifesaver.

madfadder

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi folks! I have the same fix that someone recently posted...

I had downloaded a new app on my phone, and the issue started. Some silly app for video game chat groups, not important or anything.

The issue 100% started when I downloaded this app. I had previously "uninstalled" by dragging the app to the uninstall trash can, but this apparently did not do the trick. I had to go into my settings, apps, and then uninstall from there.

Long story short: the fix is to delete all non-essential apps on your phone, and the problem will go away once you deleted the app that brought the pop ups with it.

Hope this helps!

ATX512

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site

One day I came out of the grocery store and my phone had a weird up date. Since then these ads have been showing up. After reading questions and replies, I know what to do.

I have a SG6 and there is no malware or viruses found on my phone. I know something ain't right! Wasting my time and money on spades.

Thanks

AlwayzInformed

Dec 18, 2017
Visit site
I downloaded stub hub for a show the other day, had no idea Stubhub could put viruses on your phone, but when I saw the reader above mention it was stub hub, it hit me. Just like the poster previously I got rid of stub hub, and no more virus :)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Finally i found Solution...
Its Google Chrome Browser...

Go to setting - apps- chrome- then uninstall it.

Solve....

What browser are you using instead? I should have thought that the trouble was more likely to be caused by the sites visited rather than by the browser, but I could be wrong.

balde98

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
On my Samsung galaxy s8 I had the same problem, but following your advices I discovered that it was caused by an app I installed yesterday, so my advice is to delete the apps that you have installed the day the problem was born

Pierre Maroun

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I also think this comes from websites to download mp3 files such as mp3skullz so the way I removed it (not sure if it will appear when I restart my S8) is to run the default Device Maintenance tool that comes with Android and it will detect a background app which is the opt out nasty adware. If you click on fix now it will remove it at least for the time being and then you need to find out what is the background app. Hope this helps!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky