How to remove people from a family plan?

lilpadfoot16

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My mom and I have an issue with two members of our family share plan. They just joined in the February billing cycle, so their first bill was obviously going to be crazy high. They were warned, especially as they didn't take my advice and billed $317 to our account for two phones, one smart, one dumb, that it was going to be expensive that first bill for them. The bill came around and the only money they paid was for the phones. I'm not stupid, they were trying to be sneaky and trick my mom into thinking they'd paid everything.

So, then we get to March and they haven't made a single payment and we get the April bill. I sorted it all out fairly so everyone paid for their line, access, and usage charges, plus those two's past due amount and subsequent late fee. We're eleven days away from the bill due date and when I added up their amount (390), they flipped out and decided they didn't have to pay that much. They don't realize that that also includes the Get it Now downloads, 411 calls, etc that aren't free, taxes, and a portion of the main access fee. And when I called them out on it, they decided that they still didn't owe that much. I managed to trick them into paying at least the past due that was left after my mom and I made our payments for March's bill, which meant that they paid over a hundred dollars less than they should have had to and now think they aren't responsible for.

My sister's credit isn't good enough to assume liability and her deadbeat husband refuses to call/lies and says he did call to have his credit checked to assume liability. They just don't want to pay and neither my mom nor I can afford to foot their bills, especially when they've been so rude about it. The early termination fees are going to be a lot, since the lines are brand-new, so it's looking that we'll have to suspend their lines and either force them to pay for that (they won't) or foot that bill ourselves (which we can't afford to, my mom is on disability and I'm a waitress paying for school).

My question is there anything possible we can do to get them off our lines? I'm going to need some creative ideas, because my mom has called twice and talked to the supervisor level and they haven't been able to do anything besides tell her they need to speak to "deadbeat husband." My mom has all the info for him, but can't find anyone to pose as him. Is there any way for a higher up rep to force the liability onto someone who doesn't have good credit? My mom has health issues and isn't supposed to be stressing out, because it can trigger her seizures, so I'm trying here as a last resort.

Thanks for any help!

Reactions: chipspencer

Super_Mario

Banned
Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
There are two ways. You can either cancel the lines and pay the ETF or the other party (deadbeat) will need to assume the line, thus taking over responsibility of the other lines. No one can "pose" as him to do this because they will run a credit check, and doing so without the person is fraud. Bad situation, I hope it gets resolved.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I feel bad for you but Mario is absolutely right. Pay the ETF on the phones and be done with them. But you need to get possession of these phones. Once things are settled and back to normal sell the phones and hopefully recoup some of the loss.

sent from my Incredible using tapatalk

og_president

Banned
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Damn thats a f...ed up situation. I am sure you had doubts about leting tweekers on your plan, but it was most likely sympathy that let them on.

Like today, I gave a woman $5 that claimed to have lost her wallet and ran out of gas. Then I see her going in to a tanning salon

Only the thing you can do...Small Claims Court and sue for the E.T.F.

Swyped from my Gingerbread'ed Optimus S

lilpadfoot16

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
We actually ended up (as per a VZW rep's advice), reporting the husband's phone as lost/stolen so he can't use it anymore and activated a dumbphone for my dad to use. The other line is a dumphone already, so it's cheaper right now to allow them to keep that one, but as soon as we can ditch it, we're going to.

I knew they would pull this nonsense, but my mom is primary and let them on, but she no longer has sympathy for them after being called all kinds of nasty names and hours of the husband calling and harassing her to be let back on. Since he refuses to pay still, after racking up what's now almost $40 in calls to CANADA (!!!!) and using all kinds of fee per use services (blocked each as soon as we figured it out), he doesn't deserve a phone line anymore. The real unfortunate part is I can't sell either phone to recoup our losses, as the smartphone has a cracked screen and is probably beat to hell (husband is violent and has anger issues) and my sister's phone has spent a lot time in the hands of a three year old. Idiots, the both of them.

BKVic

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I know you cant cancel that other dumb phone line because of the ETF but cant you remove that phone from it? Id rather pay $9.99 for that line with no one using it then to allow them to use it for free.

BKVic

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Take both phones away and get a dumbphone off ebay and change the smartphone to a dumbphone plan and keep it and sell the smartphone.

If they are not going to give up their phones then buy two dumbphones off ebay and change both lines to those phones and keep them or talk to friends who need phones and split the payments.