[HOW-TO] Restore Nook Color to rooted stock

john_v

Q&A Team
Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok I"ve read through this thread, threads over at xda, and I'm kinda stuck on step 1. For background, I have a nook color that already had honeycomb on it (when I got it) and I want to take it back to stock and experiment with froyo and cm7.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to create the bootable sd. I'm struggling just to get the .tar.gz file into an .img file? I've tried extracting the .gz file with a couple of different programs, but I keep running into a dead end? Edit: I keep ending up with just a .tar file, can't seem to get it into an .img file to write to the sd card?

Final Edit: Ok, I figured it out...I had to unzip the .gz file, which gave me the .tar file. Then, I needed to unzip that .tar file which gave me the .img file.

Moving on ;)

Last edited:

DanInSD#AC

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
This thread has helped me a ton. I'm a noob and am playing with a bunch of roms.

1. Can I assume I can use the CWM sd bootable rom and use it to load any rom into internal memory?

2. Should I always format system then format data just to be safe?

3. Is there any reason I can't install Nook update 1.1 using a stock 1.1 rom found in one of the threads if I'm on 1.0.1 now? Is there something special about updating to 1.1 using the sideupdater?

Thanks!!!

mosiac00

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
--Installing: /sdcard/nook-complete-restore-1/charging.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "zoom2" || getprop("ro.build.product")
"zoom2"
E:Error in /sdcard/nook-complete-restore-1/charging.zip
(status 7)
installation aborted.

nookycolor,

I too, got the same message. Make sure you drag the zip.nook restore folder into the sd card, do not extract it. Just drag it and drop it in card after you download it. Mount the sd card and select the nook zip in the main menu. It will then load up. Take out the sd card and reboot your system. I hope that helps.

Reactions: orod2011
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have tried everything I know. I can get everything back to stock except the fact that I have only 3.7gb showing as available memory. I have searched everywhere does anyone have a way to get back to the stock 5gb or so. Please help. Thanks

saulleibow

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Saved my A__

Thanks, I was really under water, my rooted Nook would not let me into B&N, now
at lease I have my reader back. Sure miss full blown Android Tablet though:'(

Sarahmonster

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
--Installing: /sdcard/nook-complete-restore-1/charging.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
Assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "zoom2" || getprop("ro.build.product")
"zoom2"
E:Error in /sdcard/nook-complete-restore-1/charging.zip
(status 7)
installation aborted.

nookycolor,

I too, got the same message. Make sure you drag the zip.nook restore folder into the sd card, do not extract it. Just drag it and drop it in card after you download it. Mount the sd card and select the nook zip in the main menu. It will then load up. Take out the sd card and reboot your system. I hope that helps.

Hi, I am having a similar problem.

When I downloaded the file it automatically unzipped it. I made the same mistake that the guy above did.

So I went into the computer, compressed the file back down to a zip, put it BACK onto my card and attempted to boot it up again.

I get this:

-- Installing: /sdcard/nook-complete-restore-1.zip
Finding update pack...
Opening update pack...
Installing update...
Installation aborted

I've read through the comments but can't seem to find anything that is working.

I messed the damn thing up when I rooted it (my first attempt) and so now am trying to restore it so I can at least have my Nook back.

I would really appreciate if anyone can help..I've only had this thing for a day. Stupid me!

Thanks so much

DSparki

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Stuck on the "n" screen

Okay, so after successfully rooting my NC with auto-nooter 3.0, I went ahead and tried out the Honeycomb build. Liked it, and so decided to install internally. Then it started messing up; whenever I hit the power button to wake up the screen, it would flash onto the unlock screen for a split second, then go back to sleep. After some effort, I got the thing to turn off, and decided to try to go back to factory using your instructions here. After getting into CW and and successfully installing the restore zip using a second sd card, I rebooted, only to be stuck on the screen showing the "n" icon! It's been that way for some time (over 30 minutes), and I'm not sure what I should be doing at this point. Have things been screwed up beyond repair? Is there another zip file I should be using seeing as my NC came originally with 1.1? Please help!

htowngator

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Also, if I already have CWM installed on the device do I need to even download a bootable image or can I just load the 1.0.1 stock file?

hopkins3030

May 24, 2011
Visit site
>>Quote:
>>Originally Posted by l0m31n
>>this didnt work for me, still rooted.
>>I'll update the OP to clarify, this is intended to restore to rooted stock. To completely unroot, merely >>interrupt boot 8x. If that isn't working (because you installed clockwork or altered boot in some way) >>then do only the step in OP to restore boot (the system part shouldn't be necessary), then interrupt >>8x.

Just for clarification... the 'nook-complete-restore-1.0.1.zip' file is rooted or not rooted? I've had ADB installed on my laptop working with no problems, I flashed my NC and updated the driver but I can't get ADB to recognize the NC. Without having a replacement home app, how can I tell if SU is installed? I think I'm pounding my head against the wall trying to connect to a now non-rooted device.

dfishocc

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Help--trying to restore Nook Color to stok

I have followed the instructions at the start of this thread:
http://forum.androidcentral.com/bar...5414-how-restore-nook-color-rooted-stock.html

When I remove the SD card and attempt to reboot the Nook Color I get 2 screens before it just hangs up:
1st screen: Touch the future of Reading
2nd screen: the n screen with "Contains Reader Mobile Technology by Adobe Systems Incorporated"

It hangs on that second screen, not allowing me to do anything else.

I'm afraid that I have ruined my NC

Can you help me? I'm somewhat of a newbie when it comes to Android.

Thanks.

plschwartz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
installation aborted

Followed instructions to put CWR and complete-restore-1.0.1as zip

following formats, ran complete restore
got following messageE:Error in/sdcard/nook-complete-restore-1.0.1.zip (status 0)
Instillation aborted.

Tried several times.

I originally had 1.1 on the nook and upgraded to 1.2
help