How to Root the Droid 3

ScottSilverNJ

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
So yea I am still rocking the D3. I got everything to work and now have Super User and its allowing me to use the app that needed to be rooted, I read somewhere that you can delete the apps that verizon won't let you somehow? I did use the MotoFail thing and it worked for me, took me a few minutes but I got it.

Day late and dollar short but I am still here! Ha!

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
So yea I am still rocking the D3. I got everything to work and now have Super User and its allowing me to use the app that needed to be rooted, I read somewhere that you can delete the apps that verizon won't let you somehow? I did use the MotoFail thing and it worked for me, took me a few minutes but I got it.

Day late and dollar short but I am still here! Ha!
becareful which apps you remove, read the http://forums.androidcentral.com/dr...817-droid-3-apps-safe-remove-once-rooted.html
use titanium backup pro to freeze apps, or a app like root browser to rename by adding .bak to file name, or use [Script] Safe bloatware removal script (50+ apps)
or better install a custom rom like Minimoto or Steel Droid with safestrap
[how-to] links in my list sd_shadows' [Collection] of links for: Droid 3 (XT862)

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
All stock apps are internal, and many interconnected, delete one and another will stop working

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

darkwingdave5

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I successfully used Motofail on my Droid3. Now what? I downloaded Titanium backup and tried to run it and it said I didn't have root. That's what I thought the Motofail did. Is there a step I'm missing? Thanks for your patience and hard work on behalf of us new folks..

darkwingdave5

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
(Love your avatar!) Ran the app - says it's not Rooted. Ran Motofail again, it reports "error: more than one device and emulator" Currently running Gingerbread 2.3.4

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't remember what that error could be
Make sure you extracted the zip file, not just opened it
Check unziped folder for a 'motofail' file, if it is not there, your virus protection removed it
Disable virus protection, redown motofail, unzip, run .bat file, enable virus protection.
Another problem could be moto driver for d3
Did you install moto drivers with the motorola drivers installer program? If not download it from my list under driver issues
sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for: Droid 3 (XT862)

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
make sure that USB Debugging on phone is enabled : Go to Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging.
try a different usb port, on some desktops the rear ones work better
is this on a Win 8 pc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vergoña69