[How To] Root Your Droid X [Official 2.2 OTA]

aw3sk3r

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys, I keep getting permission denied whenever I try to copy files (using ADB push or within terminal) EX

push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk "Permission Denied"
push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

using Terminal I tried to copy the rage file into the /data/local/tmp directory

cp /sdcard/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin "Permission Denied"

I was rooted "using the terminal method" on stock the stock android OS which came with the Droid X + the minor update they did about a month ago and then I did the OTA to Froyo yesterday. My SU apk is still there but no root access... :( Any help???

Alright so I got it to work... I had to run adb from the c:/Android-SDK(folder/tools
and I had to use windows media sync in the USB choices... and still i had to run it twice with a reboot before the second go of it... but It worked

evldead123

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
By chance was your 2.1 rooted prior to 2.2 upgrade. If thats the case, there was an issue with the script that caused corruption due to SU and BusyBox already being installed prior to 2.2 rooting. Try this The 2.1 version of the script should fix your rooting problems.

It wasn't rooted before. Thanks anyway though.
Im not sure if I should try the process again since Im sure some things were changed during my initial attempt.
Any insight is appreciated.

stillMAT1K

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
lost...

so anybody ROOT their new 2.2 yet? I'm trying to do it using [How To] Root Your Droid X [Official 2.2 OTA] but im having a lot of trouble...this is my first android phone so i guess im a noob lol...anybody have a VERY simple way of rooting it? or is this about as easy as it gets and im just SOL. Also I have a question...before I download "easyroot" so i was able to root with one click, however i couldnt use alot of apps that needed root, it would say that my device wasnt rooted when it was...I thought rooting your device was basically hacking it, so you can use other OS's like the evo's etc...thats what i heard..i mite be wrong, but then last nite i found out there is an app called superuser bootloader or something and you use that to install roms etc...so yeah I kinda want to do that, just dont know how the hell to go about doing it.

comfortably nub

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Im running a DX with leaked 2.2
I went through all the steps and seemed to be successful. The Superuser Permissions app shows up but no root apps are working. When I hit Superuser Permissions it opens and shows an empty menu. Not sure whats going on.

That will stay empty until you use something that requires superuser access; once you do whatever requested su access will show in there.

sc0rpion

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Followed these steps and it worked perfectly. Could someone post the steps in order to unroot? Im making a notebook where I can keep these notes for future reference. Thanks for all the help!

Hawk600

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I believe as off now, there is no way to unroot from Froyo update OTA. If you try use the 2.1 SBF, you will brick the phone.
Untill a new SBF is released, you are stuck with root. TBH has released a new SBF but is not a full version yet.

Last edited:

gritz

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
I find the instructions not very clear and conflicting with other instructions on the web ..... probably best to wait and not screw things up? And "adb" .... what the heck is that? Is doesn not jive with the page it refers to.

Last edited:

ericanspach

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Like some other people I ran into issues getting the $ prompt instead of the #. I ran the below steps 4-5 times over and eventually got it to work. Thanks everyone.

- adb shell
- cd data/local/tmp
- chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

ezun

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Excellent tutorial, thank you for the work putting it together.

Worked on my first shot - took about 5 min.

I've done a ton of this rooting, unrooting, sbf, 2.1, 2.2, theme application, etc. if anyone needs help PM me and I'll do what I can.

Last edited:

Hosehead

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Got to the following step...nothing happens...5 minutes have passed ...

Did I miss something, or can I move forward?

$ ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
[*] CVE-2010-EASY Android local root exploit (C) 2010 by 743C

[*] checking NPROC limit ...
[+] RLIMIT_NPROC={3815, 3815}
[*] Searching for adb ...
[+] Found adb as PID 4101
[*] Spawning children. Dont type anything and wait for reset!
[*]
[*] If you like what we are doing you can send us PayPal money to
[*] 7-4-3-C@web.de so we can compensate time, effort and HW costs.
[*] If you are a company and feel like you profit from our work,
[*] we also accept donations > 1000 USD!
[*]
[*] adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login.

deercreek

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I followed the directions and everything seemed to work without a hitch. I rebooted the phone and then I tried opening up Titanium Backup, and it failed to get root access. I went back through the steps again, and this time copied/pasted each command line in case I didn't type something right the first time. I restarted the phone, noticed the Superuser Permissions app, and opened that up. Exited it and tried Titanium Backup again. This time it got root access! I don't know what fixed it, starting over and doing a copy/paste or opening the Superuser Permissions app. Thanks for the easy to follow instructions.

Sharra

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I rooted my phone with this method right after 2.2 landed, and have been very happy with the results, I just have one thing that is confusing me. The superuser app that is placed on the device during the process seems to be hard set, and there seems to be newer better versions out. Is there any way to correct this so I can update the application? Every time I try to update the app, it fails. If anyone figures out a way, it seems the newer versions have more features.

Ok, I feel kind of dumb, because as soon as I posted this, I found the answer.. teaches me to not do my research first.

If anyone is interested, this should be very useful:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=682828

Last edited:

skaizm

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I've rooted my phone using the steps provided on operating system 2.3.15 yet I don't seem to have super user access, I'm trying to remove the bloatbuster app yet it wont let me, does this not work for 2.3.15? if not, is there a procedure for that?