[How-To] Rooting LS670ZVD/ZVH (100% automated) + ZVJ (automated)

W1LL1am.A.W333z3L

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVD/ZVH (100% automated) + ZVJ (automat

I'm completely new to rooting phones, so forgive me if questions seem obvious. I don't have MS Windows, and don't understand the Linux / Mac directions in Reference Section B. Section B says you have to
Install the rooting files to the phone
Does this mean copy all the files in optiauto.zip onto the phone's SD card?
and start adb shell
Is adb a program that runs on the PC and allows you to run shell commands on the phone by typing on the PC? It appears to be, because optiauto.zip contains a file adb.exe, i.e., a Windows executable. If so, then you can't run adb on Linux or Mac.

Nevertheless, the Note 1 instructions in Section B say to
Unzip the package to your adb tools directory
[Is this "adb tools" a directory in the phone, or in the PC?]
, then you can substitute with:
adb push copy2tmp /data/local/tmp/
adb push copy2sd /sdcard/
adb push copy2sd-img /sdcard/
adb shell
This completely confuses me, because we are not using MS Windows, but we still are supposed to be using adb.

Maybe that's enough questions for now. If someone can answer these, I may be able to take it from there. Thanks in advance.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

adb (android debug bridge) is a standard debugging tool for android. Amongst other features, it allows you to communicate with your phone, open a shell window, copy/pull files, etc.

On windows everything is automated. On mac, you'll need to download and install adb for macos.

I don't have a mac so I can't really walk you through exact instructions, but basically am giving a high-level overview.

Basically things will probably be around 75% automated since you can run many of the same scripts (which run on the phone), however the sequencing of which scripts to run when is automated in the windows install. Since this doesn't run on Mac, you'll need to do the sequencing of the steps manually once you have adb installed.

Try searching for adb for mac. Once you get that installed and can communicate with the phone using "adb shell" I can walk you through the remaining steps.

Alternatively, you might just want to borrow a friend's PC for a little bit.

BTW are you currently on ZVD, ZVH, or ZVJ?

Also which version do you want to end up on?

Reactions: W1LL1am.A.W333z3L

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm completely new to rooting phones, so forgive me if questions seem obvious. I don't have MS Windows, and don't understand the Linux / Mac directions in Reference Section B.
What OS are you running? . Android SDK (ADB is part of this) is available for Linux and Mac, too. I'd be happy to help get you going with that.

W1LL1am.A.W333z3L

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

Thanks much, sfhub and epidenimus.

I currently have ZVH. Don't care whether I end up with ZVD or ZVH, but I like stability. Suggestions? (From what I've read, ZVD might be the better choice.)

My computer runs Debian GNU/Linux. (Understandable that sfhub assumed Mac.)

After reading your helpful comments, I looked around a bit and downloaded android-sdk_r18-linux.tgz. I unzipped it and ran the "android" script. I selected the platform-tools checkbox and installed that. Now I have a program "adb". Presumably that's what I would run to send commands to the phone, yes? I also updated Android SDK Tools from version 18 to 19. Are other components needed, e.g., the Android 2.3.3 SDK Platform?

A question I still have is, exactly what files need to be copied to the phone's SD card?

Thanks - see you tomorrow I guess.

-Wm.A.Weeezel

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

A question I still have is, exactly what files need to be copied to the phone's SD card?
There is a subdirectory called

copy2sd/000root

everything there should be copied to the /sdcard , which can be done using

adb push copy2sd /sdcard/

when you are done you will have a directory on the sdcard called

/sdcard/000root

You don't need to use adb to copy, you can just use drag and drop or copy the directory through a shell prompt.

Then you can follow the rest of the manual directions.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site

Wish I had figured this out earlier...I just discovered a way to pre-root the ZVH recovery. What does this mean to folks who want to upgrade to ZVJ but keep root? Everything.

It means you can run the ZVJ update.zip using my modified ZVH recovery, then have a root ADB shell IN STOCK RECOVERY and mount /system read-write IN STOCK RECOVERY without exploits or running a fake update.zip. Remove the /system/etc/install-recovery.sh script and reboot, and viola! Rooted ZVJ.

What does this mean for sfhub's awesome tool? It means it can be 150% automatic. It can do everything for you, without any user intervention whatsoever.

And it includes a working busybox binary, to boot.

The possibilities are endless, though this will take some testing before I release the modded ZVH recovery.

Last edited:

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

That is great drew, I will look into integrating and simplifying the root process.

808hawaii13

May 14, 2012
Visit site

i got the 2.3.3 firmware does this work? i tried it and it worked with everything but the rooting part says it unable to load any help please

Hajime77

May 20, 2012
Visit site

I just rooted my phone in ZVD but now it's asking me to update to ZVJ. Would doing this remove my root?

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

yes, yes it would. If you would like rooted zvj (which I would not do, as my two personal favorite ROMs, CM7 and CM9 are on zvd) you may follow the instructions provided by sfhub here. Best of Luck, and good job asking questions before trying to figure it out on your own if you don't understand something.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

happy to help. The zvj roms available are gingerROM, DanteROM, and HydroROM. While I haven't tried any of them, they've all gotten great reviews from the community, and all have about the same features list.

Hypochondriac

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the instructions. I managed to root my phone, now time to install a rom.

Quick question if I make an nandriod (think that's what they are called) backup, and something goes wrong when installing the new rom. If I reinstall from the backup will the root still be there?

Buddlespit

Wannabe kewl
Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Yes, unless you absolutely and utterly wipe your phone or install a stock baseband update.zip.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the instructions. I managed to root my phone, now time to install a rom.

Quick question if I make an nandriod (think that's what they are called) Yup, that's what they're called backup, and something goes wrong when installing the new rom. If I reinstall from the backup will the root still be there?

Yes, unless you absolutely and utterly wipe your phoneYour Phone wouldn't boot, but if you restored the nandroid root would still be there or install a stock baseband update.zip.Don't install any update.zip files (that you would use while changing basebands), but as you are just restoring a nandroid, you wouldn't need an update.zip at all and this is not really related

So basically, yes, root would still be there when you restored the nandroid. A word of advice: rename your nandroids. Something like 2012-06-11.22.41.27 is not really helpful if you can't remember what you were doing on 11-22 (and as your timezone may be different from the dev's, the time might not even be accurate. However, DO NOT USE SPACES IN YOUR NANDROID NAMES. IT WILL CAUSE ERRORS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddlespit