How to Save Attachments from Email?

chrislitzkow

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
In both Gmail and my exchange mail I have no option to save an attachment. When I receive exchange mail with an attachment it strips the attachment when forwarding... trying to find a way to get around this. Any ideas?

Donkey Hodie

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
When you receive a message with an attachment, open the message and touch the file name to download it. Then, touch the name again to open it.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Also I have received more than one attachment in same email but it only opens up the first attachment loaded if that makes sense. This is for my yahoo account. I have yahoo plus which I wasted money on.

ThirstyTurtle

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't know this for sure but i think after you download it it goes to a "downloads" folder on your SD card which you can then later access, I think you just need to grab a file system viewer from the Market and give it a try. Essentially I'm saying I think once you download it, it's saved for good.

chrislitzkow

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
When you receive a message with an attachment, open the message and touch the file name to download it. Then, touch the name again to open it.

This doesn't do anything on mine. When I scroll down to the attachment there is a single button which states "Preview". This opens the document, but there are no option for saving, and long-pressing doesn't do anything either.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Donkey Hodie

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
What type of attachment is it? Here's what I think (I admit I'm guessing) is going on: the options the Droid offers up depend on whether or not it is able to "deal with" the file type of the attachment so e.g., for a picture (jpg) it'll offer preview and download options but for a file type that it can display but not otherwise process it'll offer "preview". If it's completely unknown, it won't offer either option.

From what you said above, it's a document and the Droid can display it but you may not have an application installed that would be able to open/edit it once downloaded so it doesn't offer that as an option.

Someone emailed me a file (gps tracklog off of a Garmin GPS) and the Droid offers neither a preview or a download option. I have other attachments (jpg's) where it offers both.

Are you able to open that file type on your phone i.e., do you have an application that creates documents of the type that was sent to you installed? This may be the problem.

Just guessing and hope this helps.

jyew

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
love the droid, and willing to ride out the initial bugs, but the email issues are really bad, and annoying.

I can not download any attachments and save to the phone. For example, I sent a ringtone as an attachment. There is a button the "Preview" and I can listen to it, but no way to download or save or anything else. I touch the filename, the paperclip, click menu, nada. You'd think the email client for the Droid would have similar (identical) functionality as desktop GMail. Frustrating...:mad:

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I have always been able to open attachments from email including excel, word, etc. I did later buy Docs to Go when it was on sale for $10. It now asks me if I want to open the document with Docs to Go or the Droid Default viewer. I have noticed that if I delete an email and try to open the attachment from the deleted folder I cannot. It says it is fetching it but then comes back with a connection error. I do not have an exchange email.

You can also try a free viewer from the Market. Try OffiViewer.

Last edited:

Zorro1

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
This is horridly stupid. Can't save. Can't open with DTG. Can't even friggin' COPY IT!!! You gotta be kidding me.

Simp10, what do you mean it asked if you wanted to open with DTG? I have the full version and don't get that option. And if you did open it, could you then save it as a DTG doc?

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't know this for sure but i think after you download it it goes to a "downloads" folder on your SD card which you can then later access, I think you just need to grab a file system viewer from the Market and give it a try. Essentially I'm saying I think once you download it, it's saved for good.

This worked for me. Got a 72 page dpf in an email and used astro and it was on my sd card so now I can view it anywhere, anytime using quickoffice.

Do you guys think its worth 15 bucks to but Microsoft office?

simp_10

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
This is horridly stupid. Can't save. Can't open with DTG. Can't even friggin' COPY IT!!! You gotta be kidding me.

Simp10, what do you mean it asked if you wanted to open with DTG? I have the full version and don't get that option. And if you did open it, could you then save it as a DTG doc?

When I attempt to open an attachment from an email, after it fetches the item from the internet, cloud, etc. I get a message asking "Complete action using: I have two options PDF to Go or Quickoffice.

I can also choose to always use one option by default. The above is if opening a PDF document but if it were an excel document it would have been Excel to go or Quickoffice. With Office to Go, I can press the menu when the document is open and Save As to anywhere on my card i wish.

Quickoffice is just a viewer and does not give a save as option nor can you edit the file.

Did you buy Docs to Go or is it the free version? I think the free version is only a viewer and does not give the edit options.

Dapke36

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I just tried out Docs to Go, and if you first open/"Preview" the document (paper created in Word 07 in this case), you can click the options button, then "file" and "save/save as".

However, it does require you to purchase the full version. Worth the $10 if you do a lot of editing. For me, though, I'm usually within 5 minutes of a computer which I can use to make changes if I want to.

Quickoffice isn't worthwhile to even view docs, in my opinion. Docs to Go has much more functions and keeps the page formatted.

arbitragejd

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Saving Attachments on Droid Pro

I had the same problem...until I accidentally typed something on the document then erased it...when I hit the back key, it asked if I wanted to save my changes. Then it gave me the option to save as on my SD card anywhere I wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam