[HOW-TO] Simplified Root + Recovery + Custom ROM

natefalls

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting right on that. Is there anything I can do by removing the microSD and copying stuff directly to it?

edit: Also, is there any way to get more time? It goes through that system recovery thing in approximately a second.

<snip> Followed directions, got it back to recovery, at least.

So so now I'm booting into Xionia CWMA, at least. So do I now just format everything like you said and attempt another ROM? I feel like I was doing it wrong, because I couldn't get a single one of those ROMS to boot.

update: I can boot into CWMA, and that's it. I wiped and formatted everything, and did a restore from a backup that was one of the ROMs I downloaded, and I'm back into a (LG logo->off->LG logo->off) loop. Tried "fix boot loop" function, still in loop.

So I tried those ADB commands again, because someone else was saying it would fix a boot loop, and I got this:
Code:
root@YOURMOM:~# ./adb shell flash_eraseall /dev/mtd/mtd8
Erasing 128 Kibyte @ 160000 -- 91 % complete.

Is that 91% complete thing weird? Does that mean it only erased 91% of the file?

Last edited:

irha

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I was able to successfully flash Mirage ROM and reinstall most of my old apps and data using Titanium backup. Except for the time it took to reinstall 50 or so apps one by one, the rest of the experience was smooth. I recommend going through the generic guide for flashing roms here. The references to the SMS backup/restore and the exact options to choose in the recovery console were useful. For a first time user, simply saying use recovery console is not enough. I was able to get Link2SD also working just fine.

I wish there were more detailed instructions on what apps can be transferred from the stock ROM to the custom one. E.g., I didn't realize that the google talk is not available on the market and that it is included as part of the gapps. When I restored it using the Titanium backup, along with other apps, I realized that it is incompatible. Fortunately, I was simply able to flash gapps again. I wish there is an easier way to filter the list of apps such that I won't miss anything useful but not accidentally install any crap from the stock ROM. I am still not sure if I missed anything from the huge list of apps that Titanium backed up. I basically skipped anything that doesn't have a descriptive name, hoping they are all system level packages that already have equivalents. Out of the rest, I also skipped those that Titanium detected as having already installed. I hope this information is going to be useful for someone in the future.

Update: Due to some specific sequence of restoring apps from Titanium and some possible bugs in Link2SD, some apps failed to link and that caused the dalvik-cache directory to fill up. Also one of the subsequent cleanups I did ended up removing apk files for some or all of these that were partially linked (again possible Link2SD bug) and that caused the loss of applications. With the help of some directory diffing and following broken links, I was able to find about 40 apps that were in this state and reinstall/restore them. Took a good couple of hours, but my troubles are not over yet :(

I don't know how this one started, but Link2SD reports that the mount didn't happen in time, and so offers to do a quick reboot. However, quick reboot goes into some sort of a loop, possibly due to something crashing. I have tried to reboot 4 times so far, and I have the same sequence of events. I am now at a complete loss. Until I can figure this out, I will have to move back a few crucial apps to internal memory.

Last edited:

irha

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
After using it for a day, I began seeing an issue with the cache partition. Actually, I noticed that some of the apps started disappearing from the app drawer, with their shortcuts on the desktop turning to stock icons and they can no longer be launched from there. If I go to the Market page for these app, they show up as if they are not yet installed. Trying to install them again, gets me an error that there is not sufficient space.

Right before I started noticing this issue, I installed the new google talk client with the audio/video support, so in case the problem is somehow related, I went back into recovery to reflash gapps. When I was trying to clear caches, I noticed recovery giving me an error that says something like "Error in CACHE: recovery/log (No space left on device)". After a couple of attempts to clear caches, I went back into CyanogenMod and all apps showed up, and I was able to even start one of those apps, so I assumed the problem went away. But after a few minutes, they started disappearning again and the same error from Market when I try to reinstall them.

Why is my cache partition getting full? I never created it manually, so I am assuming it has some standard size, so why is it not enough in my case? I would really appreciate any help with troubleshooting this issue. Thanks a lot in advance.

beidmann

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I have my phone rooted and have been using the Cyanogenmod in this first post of this thread for a few weeks now with no problems.

Simple question for you all: Is it all right to completely wipe my SD card so I can use it to flash my tablet? Or are there important files on there that would cause this ROM to malfunction if I were to wipe it and reinsert it later?

Thanks for the help,

-Brad

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
you can wipe it and not worry about it.
I'd back it up on your pc first in case you find you need something from it later, though.
like the nandroid backup you were supposed to make before installing cyanogenmod.
you can even run the phone without the card entirely, but it won't download anything without one.

Reactions: beidmann
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
yes, that would do fine.
hopefully you'll never need the backup anyway.
I don't think it matters too much what you do to the card before you reinsert it...
android (or cyanogenmod android) won't handle more than 4 card partitions, though. any more than that, it won't see 'em.

matta89

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I followed the steps and sucessfully got my phone rooted and changed over of BobZ cm7, boy this phone runs 10 times faster, the battery drain issue with 'searching for signal' seems to be gone. Thank you for making this guide!

jabak3

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Phone: Optimus V
Provider: Virgin Mobile

Apps installed:
File Manager
Gingerbreak APK 1.20 (1st Post link, XDA 3rd Download, Unmounted Mini sd and used sd adapter for laptop, Copied file to New folder "gingerbreak apk" Used File Manager and installed to phone.)

USB Debug: On
Outside Source Downloads: On

I opened the gingerbreak apk and started "Root". An hour passed as I left phone and came back later.

Exited app and rebooted phone as it was still on and the message on screen was as follows:

Rooting ...
Running exploit ...
This may take a few minutes !
Device will reboot on success !

After Phone turned off and back on. I started it once more. It has now been another 15 min and still running with the same message.

Anyone had this problem and know how to fix or what to change.

Please Help I am running out of space, battery is draining (I think root helps reduce power or allows a root battery app to help with this.) I have a 2gb Card. I might update in the future but I feel even spending $10 to $20 on a 16gb card or smaller 8gb, or 4gb (32gb was $55 wtf ).

This was the best step by step guide I found overall for rooting the optimus v and I don't know what to do from here since something is wrong or I have the wrong download. What do I do now?

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The gingerbreak may need multiple tries, give it about 10 minutes before pulling out battery & reboot. But it sounds like it worked since it rebooted by itself. To check if you have root, download "terminal emulator" app, and start it, type 'su', you should see a # prompt. If you do, then proceed with next step. Otherwise retry using gingerbreak.

jabak3

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Edit****

Scratch that. I uninstalled a few unneeded apps and made sure I plugged it in to the laptop as I didn't before. I let it work for 5 minutes and it rebooted by itself now.

The next step on the list for Root was busybox. However now that isn't working. It won't install because it is saying I need to reflash the rom. Do I skip this and move on to part 2 or part 3?

Last edited:

Whyzor

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Edit****

Scratch that. I uninstalled a few unneeded apps and made sure I plugged it in to the laptop as I didn't before. I let it work for 5 minutes and it rebooted by itself now.

The next step on the list for Root was busybox. However now that isn't working. It won't install because it is saying I need to reflash the rom. Do I skip this and move on to part 2 or part 3?

Continue with step 4, installing custom recovery.

cujo676

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
can someone please help me figure this out everytime i try to do this i get this
--Install from sdcard...
E:failed to open/sdcard/update.
E:signature verification failed
Istallation aborted
everytime this happens I lose all my downloaded apps I I get set back to what i got when i opened my box and took out myphone for the first time

jabak3

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
1. Is there a free version of flash image gui(said there was but server leads to market)?
2. If no, Is there a similar program that is free?
3. My dad bought 3 phones(Mom,Dad,Me) and I set them all up. If Flash Image Gui is the only app, is there a way to install on all 3 phones with 1 purchase of the app at the 99 cents.

My debit card is F'd and I am having enough hassle just trying to get my dad used to as well as not hate the optimus v. His fingers don't like the screen, and battery usage for stand by is ridiculous. Standby uses more power than having it on all the time.

kenharkey7

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Just want to say thankyou to the community, i used this guide and am now running IMO CM7 rom and i did it in under 20 min. Much much faster and easier than my optimus s. I am shocked and full of joy :D

faheyd

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
My debit card is F'd and I am having enough hassle just trying to get my dad used to as well as not hate the optimus v. His fingers don't like the screen, and battery usage for stand by is ridiculous. Standby uses more power than having it on all the time.
Have your Dad use the voice recording to send messages, less typing that way.
Also, for the battery to last longer, don't use FaceBook, etc, and use Airplane Mode as much as possible, like at night. It works for me, but even still, I only get a day out of it. I've gotten used to charging it every night.

magiccheeto

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I can't believe how easy it has gotten to flash a good recovery, root and install a rom! I remember having to use psneuter and how unstable the cm7 roms used to be.

Thanks for making this guide, it really made it a snap to root and rom my grandmothers new optimus v. She's very happy she can tether with her netbook now (she doesn't have broadband but an excellent sprint coverage area)

:)

nthehle

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey Whyzor - I am a noob, but I can read. I am in emulator, but for the command > /system/bin/flash_image, I get "invalid length". What am I doing wrong so I can move on to the next step? Thanks for any help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinrustick71