How to stop safe mode?

ganguy

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
My Tab 3 erratically starts in SAFE mode, which is useless to me and annoying. I got 2 "fixes" from an internet search, which are unsatisfactory:

1 - Press power button and hold until "restart" appears and select that. This worked once in about a dozen tries, and right now, I am in SAFE mode and can't get out of it.

2 - Hold power button until SAMSUNG Logo appears, release button and quickly press the "Volume down" button. - This never worked.

I hope someone can help with this.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The only thing you *should* need to do to exit Safe Mode is a simple restart.

With the tablet on, press and hold the power button for several seconds, then tap Restart when the option appears.

If it continues to boot in safe mode, then you have a problem...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
And, the only thing I can suggest (assuming that "you have a problem...") would be to initiate a factory reset and then see what happens after that.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Whoops! Wait a minute...

Is your Tab 3 in a case? Is it possible that your volume down key is stuck or otherwise damaged? That might explain why it keeps restarting in safe mode, since holding the volume down key during boot is the way to initiate safe mode in the first place.

ganguy

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
N4 Newbie:
Your post 1 doesn't work (see mine)
Factory reset is a last resort
It is in a case and I will ensure the button is clear. You may be right on that, will get back.

ganguy

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
The case could have been the problem. When I tried method 2 again, it worked, probably because I moved the tab far enough from the interfering case edge.
My fix was to Dremel a piece of the case away so that the button can't be depressed by it. So far it is OK, but if it fails again, I'll report back.

BTW, the case is a Belkin FSL 174 keyboard case, which has another annoying feature - it blocks out the external camera lens so you have to take it out of the case to take a photo. Cutting away the hinge to allow that is a messy option. I might get a soft case to use while sightseeing as I wouldn't need the keyboard on day field trips.

Thanks for the tip - issue probably closed!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for reporting back!

Cases often cause unexpected problems; as an example, lots of people can't seem to master the "power button plus volume down" sceenshot technique because, it turns out, their case makes it impossible to activate the buttons properly.

ganguy

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
Exactly my problem. The annoying thing is this was sold (by Best Buy in Canada) as a Tab3 case, and one would think it should fit exactly. Anyway, it appears to be solved.
Many thanks