HOW TO: Temp Root for DInc2

spikbeatz

May 9, 2011
Visit site
So, just to be clear, does the phone have to be in the rooted state for Android wifi tether to work? Or is root just needed to get it installed?

i believe it has to be in a rooted state because that app might need "root" access in order to work without having to tell VZW you want to tether.

I don't have a need for tether yet so I don't plan on using it. And I can't seem to find PDANet 3.0 on the market place which is the app that has the "hide" feature built in.

Hope this helps.

MrMara

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I can't seem to get this temp root to take on my phone. Heres exactly what I'm doing. Any ideas?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Travis>cd\

C:\>adb
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>cd adb

C:\adb>adb devices
List of devices attached
HT141MA09617 device

List of devices attached
HT141MA09617 device

List of devices attached
HT141MA09617 device

C:\adb>pushroot.bat

C:\adb>adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp

C:\adb>adb push getroot /data/local/tmp
1585 KB/s (0 bytes in 557962.000s)

C:\adb>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/getroot

C:\adb>adb push su /data/local/tmp
1588 KB/s (0 bytes in 76232.000s)

C:\adb>adb shell chmod 6755 /data/local/tmp/su

C:\adb>adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
1612 KB/s (0 bytes in 1083568.000s)

C:\adb>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox

C:\adb>adb shell ln /data/local/tmp/busybox /data/local/tmp/cp
link failed File exists

C:\adb>adb push pushroot /data/local/tmp
0 KB/s (0 bytes in 207.001s)

C:\adb>adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/pushroot

C:\adb>adb shell /data/local/tmp/getroot

C:\adb>adb shell
# /data/local/tmp/pushroot
/data/local/tmp/pushroot
/data/local/tmp/pushroot: /data/local/tmp/cp: permission denied
/data/local/tmp/pushroot: /data/local/tmp/cp: permission denied
#

Last edited:

mjpeterson37

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
This is for n00bs like myself that had to search around before getting into this and doing it correctly. A lot was copied from the Inc S thread, but felt the instructions were needed here so no need for searching there and crowding their forum with our questions: Temp root for apps required root access (for s-on IS) - xda-developers

Psneuter exploit is working on DInc2, but because /system is locked on s-on phones, we can't copy su and superuser.apk into /system, apps required root access can't work.

The following procedure uses psenuter exploit to gain adb shell root, and then copy su (without privilege control ) and busybox into /sbin (which is on rootfs and in the global PATH list) to gain root access for apps.

The procedure:
1. Install the HTC Sync software or PDANet software to install drivers for your phone to Windows
2. Ensure that the device is in USB Debug mode, go to Settings > Applications > Development and "tick" USB debugging and plug in your phone to your PC
3. Unzip the attached .zip into a directory (like c:\adb)
4. Open a command prompt by going to start > run and running CMD, and cd to the directory where you extracted the .zip (like cd \adb)
5. Type "adb devices" > enter, and ensure that your device has been detected
6. Run the "pushroot.bat" file
7. Type "adb shell /data/local/tmp/getroot" > enter
8. Type "adb shell" > enter
9. You are now in # prompt. Type "/data/local/tmp/pushroot"

You have to redo steps 7, 8, 9 once you reboot your phone.

The procedure will have all apps gaining root access.
!!USE ON YOUR OWN RISK!!

Known working programs: Root explorer, Titanium backup, gscript lite, trasproxy 2.04, ...
Some apps check existence of su in /system/xbin , and reject to proceed if the su binary is not exist (like transproxy 3.08). For this kind of apps, this procedure won't help.

I run Bloat Freezer to rid the VZW apps
thanks for the tip.

anmolmani

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This is for n00bs like myself that had to search around before getting into this and doing it correctly. A lot was copied from the Inc S thread, but felt the instructions were needed here so no need for searching there and crowding their forum with our questions: Temp root for apps required root access (for s-on IS) - xda-developers

Psneuter exploit is working on DInc2, but because /system is locked on s-on phones, we can't copy su and superuser.apk into /system, apps required root access can't work.

The following procedure uses psenuter exploit to gain adb shell root, and then copy su (without privilege control ) and busybox into /sbin (which is on rootfs and in the global PATH list) to gain root access for apps.

The procedure:
1. Install the HTC Sync software or PDANet software to install drivers for your phone to Windows
2. Ensure that the device is in USB Debug mode, go to Settings > Applications > Development and "tick" USB debugging and plug in your phone to your PC
3. Unzip the attached .zip into a directory (like c:\adb)
4. Open a command prompt by going to start > run and running CMD, and cd to the directory where you extracted the .zip (like cd \adb)
5. Type "adb devices" > enter, and ensure that your device has been detected
6. Run the "pushroot.bat" file
7. Type "adb shell /data/local/tmp/getroot" > enter
8. Type "adb shell" > enter
9. You are now in # prompt. Type "/data/local/tmp/pushroot"

You have to redo steps 7, 8, 9 once you reboot your phone.

The procedure will have all apps gaining root access.
!!USE ON YOUR OWN RISK!!

Known working programs: Root explorer, Titanium backup, gscript lite, trasproxy 2.04, ...
Some apps check existence of su in /system/xbin , and reject to proceed if the su binary is not exist (like transproxy 3.08). For this kind of apps, this procedure won't help.

I run Bloat Freezer to rid the VZW apps
Thanks