How would I burn a DVD and get it on to my Tab?

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I have a bunch of DVDs that I want to put on my Tab for viewing on long plane/train rides. Anyone know how I'd go about this?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You would have to rip the dvd into a format playable on the Tab. Search Google to locate the appropriate how-to's involved.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Aieesoft makes a ripper that works great. I think that's how you spell the company name. You can get their BluRay ripper and it works for standard too. The PlayStation format works on the Tab. There are others but I just know that works.

The software costs like $30. There are free methods but I went this route. Very happy.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Lancer033

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the process of ripping my whole library to my computer so I can play them on my PS3/Tablet/phone/computer.

I did a 2 step process and it has gone a lot faster this way.

#1 I copied the DVD to my hard drive with DVD shrink - It's specifically designed to compress DVDs to 4GB so you can make copies on normal single layer DVDs, but what I did instead was copy ONLY the movie and English 5.1 channel audio with no compression. The reason for this is that it only takes about 20 minutes for most DVDs. The compression doesn't matter because I’m not going to burn it anyways. If it's more than 4GB, you get a warning and so what. Just create a folder for each movie and DVD Shrink will create an Audio_TS and Video_TS folder under it.

After you've copied the 1st movie, open Handbreak and select the Video_TS folder from step 1 as the source and rip it. More directions are at the links below

The beauty of doing it this way instead of just using handbrake alone is while handbreak is ripping the movie, I can keep copying movies over to my hand drive about 4 times faster than handbrake can rip them and just keep adding them to the queue. That way, I could leave to the day or go to bed and my computer would work all night ripping them. Also, DVD shrink worked on several movies that handbrake wouldn't, and once they were copied over, handbrake didn't have any trouble with them. I did have trouble with some of the newer DVDs, so the next step is to figure out how to rip them.

How to Rip DVDs with Handbrake
How to Rip a DVD to Your Computer
Five Best DVD Ripping Tools

At this point, I have them stored on an external hard drive that I formatted to FAT32 so the PS3 would read it and I can select and play any movie without getting off the couch. To play them on my Tab, I just copy the file over. My next goal is to build an NAS Server that I can stream them from anywhere.
As for the quality, it’s more than enough for a small device and plenty for most movies. You are losing something on some of the newer action movies, but for older Moves filmed before HD cameras, I can’t tell a difference even on a 42” TV

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for not replying before, I actually figured this out:

1. Ripped with Handbrake
2. Installed with "adb" from Android SDK

Super easy 2-step process.

Lancer033

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
why did you need adb instead of just copying the files over?

Minor update....i downloaded DVDFab this morning and it's working on the movies that none of the free programs would do. It's $50, but you get a 30 day trial out of it. Really good program and supposedly works on BlueRay and BlueRay 3D too, but i can only speak for DVDs

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
why did you need adb instead of just copying the files over?

Minor update....i downloaded DVDFab this morning and it's working on the movies that none of the free programs would do. It's $50, but you get a 30 day trial out of it. Really good program and supposedly works on BlueRay and BlueRay 3D too, but i can only speak for DVDs

I'm on Linux and the device does not make itself discoverable to a computer without the "special" proprietary software. However, Google's SDK can talk to it.

Reactions: Lancer033

AFPoster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the process of ripping my whole library to my computer so I can play them on my PS3/Tablet/phone/computer.

I did a 2 step process and it has gone a lot faster this way.

#1 I copied the DVD to my hard drive with DVD shrink - It's specifically designed to compress DVDs to 4GB so you can make copies on normal single layer DVDs, but what I did instead was copy ONLY the movie and English 5.1 channel audio with no compression. The reason for this is that it only takes about 20 minutes for most DVDs. The compression doesn't matter because I?m not going to burn it anyways. If it's more than 4GB, you get a warning and so what. Just create a folder for each movie and DVD Shrink will create an Audio_TS and Video_TS folder under it.

After you've copied the 1st movie, open Handbreak and select the Video_TS folder from step 1 as the source and rip it. More directions are at the links below

The beauty of doing it this way instead of just using handbrake alone is while handbreak is ripping the movie, I can keep copying movies over to my hand drive about 4 times faster than handbrake can rip them and just keep adding them to the queue. That way, I could leave to the day or go to bed and my computer would work all night ripping them. Also, DVD shrink worked on several movies that handbrake wouldn't, and once they were copied over, handbrake didn't have any trouble with them. I did have trouble with some of the newer DVDs, so the next step is to figure out how to rip them.

How to Rip DVDs with Handbrake
How to Rip a DVD to Your Computer
Five Best DVD Ripping Tools

At this point, I have them stored on an external hard drive that I formatted to FAT32 so the PS3 would read it and I can select and play any movie without getting off the couch. To play them on my Tab, I just copy the file over. My next goal is to build an NAS Server that I can stream them from anywhere.
As for the quality, it?s more than enough for a small device and plenty for most movies. You are losing something on some of the newer action movies, but for older Moves filmed before HD cameras, I can?t tell a difference even on a 42? TV

I use RipIt and handbrake for converting however none of my movies play on my tablet. What App do you use to play the movies and any direct handbrake suggestions. I use the Apple TV 2 settings.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I use RipIt and handbrake for converting however none of my movies play on my tablet. What App do you use to play the movies and any direct handbrake suggestions. I use the Apple TV 2 settings.

Handbrake works, just convert it to normal mp4 format.

AFPoster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Handbrake works, just convert it to normal mp4 format.

maybe it's just me but I'm not having any luck. I selected mp4 format, converted the file making sure the settings were 1280 x 720 and less still no luck playing using the Movies App or Media Hub.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
maybe it's just me but I'm not having any luck. I selected mp4 format, converted the file making sure the settings were 1280 x 720 and less still no luck playing using the Movies App or Media Hub.

Actually I did it via the command line:

HandBrakeCLI -i /dev/sr0 -o /home/MyFolder/myhomedvd.mp4

"/dev/sr0" is my cdrom drive

ELAINESKY

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

You also can try to use dvd shrink to copy dvd to computer then convert vob files to mp4 with SUPER, they are alos work well

Lancer033

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site

i can't remember the exact wording, but i just selected the normal high quality format from the menu on the right side of the screen in Handbrake and it spits out a high quality MP4 file that has played on Windows 7, PS3, Android 2.3 (Droid X), and Android 3.x (touchwiz and stock honeycomb on the tab 10.1) I need try it on my chromebook too, but it should be fine for that too.

AFPoster

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I finally got it to work changing / altering settings in Handbrake. 1088 x 603 is as custom as I could make the settings and the Blu-Ray looks incredible. Thanks for all the info.