HTC 10 Owners: First Impressions, Initial Reviews Thread

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Now that I've had mine for a few days, here's my take (compared to my last phone, Moto Droid Turbo):
Just to set things up - I use Nova Prime, I have a clear tpu case on it with a screen protector.

Mine just showed up today (along with my unlocked G5 from B&H Photo at long last). Thanks for your thoughts as I'm coming from an almost identical situation - my everyday personal phone is a Moto X Style Pure Edition and my work phone is a Moto Droid Turbo 2, both running Nova Prime, and I've really become used to using the Moto gestures for camera, flashlight, and Moto Display. It will be interesting to see if I like LG's always on notifications as much as Moto's, or if I can really go back to something like Light Flow on the 10 (which I used to love but with the on screen notifications now just seems like a lot of work to setup/maintain ;) )

Still can't believe both these pre-orders showed up on the same day. Hard to choose which to start with first.

mahers

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine just showed up today (along with my unlocked G5 from B&H Photo at long last). Thanks for your thoughts as I'm coming from an almost identical situation - my everyday personal phone is a Moto X Style Pure Edition and my work phone is a Moto Droid Turbo 2, both running Nova Prime, and I've really become used to using the Moto gestures for camera, flashlight, and Moto Display. It will be interesting to see if I like LG's always on notifications as much as Moto's, or if I can really go back to something like Light Flow on the 10 (which I used to love but with the on screen notifications now just seems like a lot of work to setup/maintain ;)

The gestures and notifications were HUGE. You don't know what you're missing until they're gone! :) For gestures, I added some to the Nova home screen, but when the screen is locked, different story. If you launch the HTC homescreen, add whatever apps you want to the dock, and they appear on the lockscreen for a quick launch. I don't know what I am going to do about notifications. I keep waving my hand over the darn thing and nothing happens! LOL!!

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow! Where to begin. First, its sweet! I received my Silver HTC 10 from Verizon today. All set up was simple enough and after set up, downloading 100 apps, 400 contacts, etc, playing for a while, it still had 60% power. Not bad. After 3 hours of fiddling with setting, adding files via drop box, etc, I'm down to 51%. So far so good…

What I like so far:

1. Side Button… Halleluiah I don’t have to move the phone to reach the top anymore. I had this on the Thunderbolt I think or one of those and missed it when we got to the top.
2. Boom Sound – I didn’t play with it much but I did play one song which sounded good and was loud enough. I have to compare it to my M7 closer. The 10 didn’t sound as good as with the two speakers facing initially but nowhere near a deal breaker. More research to come. The speaker sounded loud enough on a call which is good.
3. Camera…Did I just take a picture that looked good? Did my outside greens stay green and not everything else? Did I just take an indoor shot of my foot and all the colors on the desk above and below ere correct? I took a few inside in a darkening room and not so bad (at least its not all purple). After 2.5 years of ugh! Pics I'm very happy. I don’t have an S7 to compare to so no news there.
4. New button placement – Within a few minutes I had the new buttons down so no real issue there.

What I'm not too happy about so far:

1. Screen Brightness outside – Definitely not as good as the M7 but passable. I found more glare on the screen than my M7 and not as bright on full manual brightness.
2. Maybe a pink tinge to the whites when I tilt the screen???
3. Sense – I used a lot of the sense widgets, i.e profile, brightness, all gone. There’s one widget that has brightness, timeout, wifi, autosync, and Bluetooth together but no separate ones. Boooooo! Gone in the drop down too. Anyone know how to personalize the drop down notifications?
4. Camera – Whats the deal with no settings? You can no longer select sunny/cloudy/etc. Very minimal camera but it does work. Also, while you can touch the screen to focus (sorta) you cant touch to take a pic anymore. I really don’t like that. Any suggestions for a better camera app anyone?
5. Keyboard. I will be finding a new one, too much wasted space.
6. Recent Apps – Only “card view”, I want my grid back!

Other:
1. CASE: I did order the Seidio case and it came today also. I drop everything always and these cases saved all my phones. This one fits better than my M7 case which was slightly loose and caused major scratches on my BLUE paint. Learned a lesson, with the colored phones the color scratches off. The metal coated phone just scratches.
2. Gallery: I stopped using Gallery a while ago and have been using Quikpic. Gallery never picked up new pics added to the phone easily and Quickpic did.
3. Finally, it did get a bit warm at points but not too bad or worse than Ive had with my M7.

Ive only had this a few hours but so far I'm impressed. No one likes change so some small things but compared to the initial issues with all the other phones Id call this a success (probably spoke too soon there LOL). I haven’t tackled internet browsing or set up the fingerprint reader yet so more to come on that and everything else.

Edit: After spending the last 30 minutes trying not to burst a blood vessel removing the Seidio case, maybe its not that good an idea :)

Last edited:

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just wish i could go to "grid view" on the recent app button. They only allow "card view". Checked with htc support and they think marshmallow doesn't support "grid view"
That's false! I have MM on my M9, and I still have the choice. There a gear-like settings button at upper right corner in the running apps screen that takes you to the options.

It may be that the newest version of Sense took it away.

McDoogie

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
The new sense must have taken away the ability to change the quick settings. My only cons qbout the phone:
Can't change quick settings.
Google photos/ music sucks compared to HTC gallery/music

Posted via the Android Central App

droidbeat

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC 10 owners first impressions/review thread

The clarity and loudness of the audio on the 10 is far better. Wish they could do this and maintain stereo.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I do wish the HTC gallery was back instead of Google photos. I do not like Google photos. And I would also like to be able to change the quick settings. Other than that I am enjoying the phone.

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree I liked the htc gallery better with the edits I also miss my recording videos and capture photos later anyone know of an app the can do the same? cam is very good but still agree about the limited and temperamental focus in my opinion but still really enjoy this phone

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Screen is a "smidge" darker than my DNA. Very very very slight difference at same setting. So no worries for me. DNA at 55% and 10 58-ish%. Will test polarization but I had issues with DNA so I expect same with 10. Nothing life shattering. Mine does not have the pink tones or the 1/2 screen hue change. It does color shift...but my DNA did too. Its an LCD thing. Don't care.

Quick as crap.

Battery so far is questionable. But I have been configuring the crap out of it. So like everyone else Ill let it settle in and we will see. I typically see 2-3 hours of SOT on so hoping for 24+. We will see.

Lacking stock ticker widgets. I don't want to log into something to show running stock tickers that originally came with DNA. Browsed Play store...didn't see something that didn't want access to my phone or pictures or whatever. Seriously, pictures?

Separate Data, WiFi, Airplane and BlueTooth widgets. I used these a lot as I travel. Big master widget doesnt have data on it.

No gallery. But knew that. Camera is fine for me. Took some shots in my basement and its a *ahem* ton better than my current phone. Shot into the dark area and came out pretty good.

So far a nice phone. Now its time to settle in for a few weeks to see if she's a keeper.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
There HAS to be something that replicates the original Gallery. No WAY in hell I am using Google Photo where the ability to accidentally share your entire album to the world exists for a fat fingered clutz like me. I dont share photos often and when I do its via text.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
There HAS to be something that replicates the original Gallery. No WAY in hell I am using Google Photo where the ability to accidentally share your entire album to the world exists for a fat fingered clutz like me. I dont share photos often and when I do its via text.

I read the last sentence and thought of that 'Most Interesting Man' in the world commercial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rajokay