HTC One (Battery Life)

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Make sure your apps are updated...EXCEPT Google+ since latest version has a known battery drain bug (they're working on a fix).

Posted via Android Central App

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Is it me or has the battery life gotten worse as the phone has gotten older. Has this happened to anyone else?

This is normal for batteries, although to be honest I get the same battery life I used to have.
Also note that there have been many changes, both to Android and Sense and of course many apps.
However as I said I don't find any difference. I still charge it at about 1,5 day.

DeathAngel74

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I had a drain issue when I installed a firmware from an ota kitkit update. I think the latest firmware for Europe is 5.11.401.10, I believe. Recently, I installed 5.11.1540.9, US dev. Edition firmware and the issue went away. I think one of the European OTA's had an issue with Google Services reaming the battery life, then they released, yet another update.
Another thing that helped me was installing the latest firmware for my region and installing a rom that was based on that specific firmware. I hope this helps. Also, I charged my phone last night, when I woke up it was still 100%. With the new update, my battery drains on the average .5-1% every hour. So in 10 or 11 hrs, I love 1-2%, but that's just standby, without really doing anything. One other thing you could try is RomCleaner 2.2, it comes with a .txt file that you can open with notepad++ to keep or remove unwanted apps. This is assuming you are using a custom recovery, though.
You could also try turning off background data when your aren't using data connection. Its in settings>mobile data>data setting>limit background data. Another thing you COULD try is calibrating the battery, by powering off the phone, holding both volumes+power for 2 minutes and releasing them all after that. The phone should boot normally after.
I also use a custom kernel, and overclock the gpu/ cpu(1836Ghz/410Mhz) and undervolt to 762.5@384Mhz, without loss of performance or excessive battery drain. See attachments.

Attachments

• attachment.php.jpg
    attachment.php.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 55
  • attachment.php2.jpg
    attachment.php2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 52
  • attachment3.php.jpg
    attachment3.php.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00161.jpg
    DSC00161.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

pcdebb

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
im losing battery super fast. when i leave in the morning i'm at 100%. By the time i get to work 30 minutes later, i've lost 10%. By lunchtime i'm at 50%. by 4pm, i'm in the red and nowhere near my charger. I gotta find a solution QUICK

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I charge every night. I take it off of charge at 5am. by noon I am at about 14%. I stick it on charge. At about 7pm I am back to about 9-14% depending on usage. I rarely use it for net and maybe do about 10-15 texts during day. I kill as many apps as I can in the morning. Bunch of them will restart automatically. Google Play being the worst.

Brian K2

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I had my phone about a year with no battery issues--I actually had great battery life. About a week after updating my phone to the latest version of Android, I started having major battery drain. It turns out, I think it was caused by a corrupt .mp3 file I used for a ringtone. I installed the .mp3 file on my phone because I didn't like the new ringtones that came with the update. I deleted the .mp3 file (and replaced it with another one that I hope is not corrupt) a couple days ago, and my battery life has been great again.

Not sure if this is causing your battery drain, but thought I would post.

Brian K2

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
How did you figure out which ringtone it was?
I may try that, but I have a bunch of ringtones I have downloaded.

For me, I think it was the ringtone I had selected for receiving telephone calls. It took me about a month of researching on the internet to figure out what was causing the problem. Someone else on the internet pointed out their battery started draining after receiving a call they didn't answer (i.e., a missed call). I don't receive that many calls on my cell phone, so sometimes I would go several days without the battery drain issue while other times it would happen every day (depending whether I had a missed call that day). Once the battery drain started, I would perform a battery recalibration (per HTC's customer support instructions), and that would fix the battery drain issue until the next missed call.

I would start by changing the active ringtones one at a time (i.e., the ringtone for incoming calls, the ringtone for notifications, and the ringtone for the alarm). In my case, simply having the .mp3 ringtone file on my phone wasn't causing the problem--the battery drain started when the ringtone was actually used (e.g., when I received an incoming call and the .mp3 file was played). As mentioned above, this may not be causing your battery drain, but it is easy enough the check by simply switching ringtones.

After removing the .mp3 file, my battery has been great. Last night when I went to bed, I unplugged the phone with 100% charge on the battery and also put the phone in airplane mode while I was sleeping. This morning, after being unplugged and in airplane mode all night, the phone was still at 100%.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
For me, I think it was the ringtone I had selected for receiving telephone calls. It took me about a month of researching on the internet to figure out what was causing the problem. Someone else on the internet pointed out their battery started draining after receiving a call they didn't answer (i.e., a missed call). I don't receive that many calls on my cell phone, so sometimes I would go several days without the battery drain issue while other times it would happen every day (depending whether I had a missed call that day). Once the battery drain started, I would perform a battery recalibration (per HTC's customer support instructions), and that would fix the battery drain issue until the next missed call.

I would start by changing the active ringtones one at a time (i.e., the ringtone for incoming calls, the ringtone for notifications, and the ringtone for the alarm). In my case, simply having the .mp3 ringtone file on my phone wasn't causing the problem--the battery drain started when the ringtone was actually used (e.g., when I received an incoming call and the .mp3 file was played). As mentioned above, this may not be causing your battery drain, but it is easy enough the check by simply switching ringtones.

After removing the .mp3 file, my battery has been great. Last night when I went to bed, I unplugged the phone with 100% charge on the battery and also put the phone in airplane mode while I was sleeping. This morning, after being unplugged and in airplane mode all night, the phone was still at 100%.

This might be linked to the "mediaserver" process that can be running in the background. I noticed that every so often my battery drains much faster that usual and I find this process zapping a good percentage of the battery life. From some other postings I learned that a corrupt or bad mp3 files can cause this issue with mediaserver so that falls in line with what you concluded. Good detective work!

Brian K2

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
This might be linked to the "mediaserver" process that can be running in the background. I noticed that every so often my battery drains much faster that usual and I find this process zapping a good percentage of the battery life. From some other postings I learned that a corrupt or bad mp3 files can cause this issue with mediaserver so that falls in line with what you concluded. Good detective work!

Although I didn't mention it before (I felt my post was getting too long and detailed), I believe you are correct that this is linked to the "mediaserver" process draining the battery. Ever since I replaced the .mp3 file, the mediaserver process is using negligible power.

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I do not show Media Server even listed in my battery usage.
39% being used by Messages. I never keep messages after I am done texting with someone. There are 0 pictures, etc in any of them now. I only have 3 texts in my Message app.

Cell Standby shows 24% battery usage
Phone idle shows 20% battery usage
Not sure what these 2 are supposed to show normally.

5 other apps show a total between them of 19% of battery usage.

Believe it or not, as of now the phone has been off of charge for almost 6 hours and I am still at 77%.
Now I did uninstall an app, BUMP, this morning that I have had for about a year. I never have even used it.

Brian K2

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
MediaServer doesn't show up in either the phone's app list or the phone's usage list under the power menu.

I installed GSam Battery Monitor app. After installing that app, it will monitor battery usage--you can let it run a while before opening the app. After opening GSam on your phone, touch the "App Usage" link a little more than 1/2 way down the screen. MediaServer power usage will be reported there--it is identified in GSam as "System (mediaserver)". When I was having batter drain, MediaServer was near the top of the list and was shown as using about 30% of the power used by all my apps. Now (after removing the corrupted .mp3 file and recalibrating the battery), it is near the bottom of the list and it's between 0% and 0.3%.

My understanding is that many different things can cause the MediaServer to show high power usage (and drain the battery). In my case, it seems it was the corrupted .mp3 file. I've read on the internet that other people had high MediaServer power usage due to a poorly written or corrupted app.

When I called HTC support to ask how to address the high power usage by MediaServer, they told me to factory reset my phone and slowly reload the apps (maybe a few every week) to help pinpoint an app that is using a lot of power (and causing high MediaServer power usage). Luckily for me, before doing that I discovered it was the .mp3 file.

HTC support never told me a corrupt .mp3 file could cause high MediaServer usage. I figured that out by doing my own research on the internet.

Last edited:

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Phone has been off of charge for 13.5 hours as of now. i am at 51% charge. What I'm thinking is the app I uninstalled this morning may have been the problem. But I have had it for over a year. Now it could have updated recently and gotten corrupt. I'm not sure but just happy my battery life is back to normal.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Tim98TA

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I think for some reason that the app I deleted did the trick. I had never even used the app.
Thanks for all of the suggestions

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards