HTC ONE camera consistently BLURRY!?!

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
If you are having trouble with the One camera, you either have a bad device or bad technique. Both my wife and I have Ones and focus is not an issue with either one. If you are able to take a picture with another phone in the same light that is not blurry, but your one is blurry, then it is defective.

That is the only correct answer.

jaleesag88

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm just wondering what people think of my photos now. Compared to my Note 2 I thought it was amazing....but I figured I would get an opinion here before bragging about my new phone :)

Sent from my HTCONE using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369774315847.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369774315847.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 73

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm just wondering what people think of my photos now. Compared to my Note 2 I thought it was amazing....but I figured I would get an opinion here before bragging about my new phone :)

Looks pretty good to me! Hard to tell from such a small copy but I say it looks good.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Calling someone a troll is no better than trolling yourself. Lets keep the conversation civil, and keep the bashing of other phones for no reason to a minimum (read: nonexistent). Everyone has their own preferences in phones, if it doesn't work for you, so be it. No need to trash it.

"Worth is not measured in worldly things, but instead in the compassion you have given unto others." via my droid DNA.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know how to make it bigger or anything from my phone lol. Thank you!

I am sorry, I didn't mean to criticize at all, It looks really good. Good color, great subject, good framing and good timing. I was just complaining because I couldn't pixel peep!. I don't know how you can make it bigger either. And that is what is crazy about thinking 4mp is not enough. I am sure it looks great full screen, and would make a good print too.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Normal settings, no macro, I was zooming in since I was probably 30 feet away in the gym. The pic in the hallway, probably 5-10 feet away.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Normal settings, no macro, I was zooming in since I was probably 30 feet away in the gym. The pic in the hallway, probably 5-10 feet away.

You didn't answer my questions -

It is almost impossible to say if there is a problem without knowing how dark it was in the gym and hall way. That is why I aske what the ISO and shutter speed were on the shots. You can tap the pircture in the gallery and hit the overflow menu, scroll down to details and get this information.

If the shutter speed was slower than 1/60 of a second, you are not going to have a prayer of capturing movement, or getting a sharp zoomed shot. If the shutter was 1/100 or faster, then I could start to think there were problems with your phone.

If the iso was high and the shutter slow, then no phone would capture the shot without the blur. If however the iso was low and the shutter slow, that would indicate that HTC needs better software, like a sport mode, which is conspicuously absent.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
You didn't answer my questions -

It is almost impossible to say if there is a problem without knowing how dark it was in the gym and hall way. That is why I aske what the ISO and shutter speed were on the shots. You can tap the pircture in the gallery and hit the overflow menu, scroll down to details and get this information.

If the shutter speed was slower than 1/60 of a second, you are not going to have a prayer of capturing movement, or getting a sharp zoomed shot. If the shutter was 1/100 or faster, then I could start to think there were problems with your phone.

If the iso was high and the shutter slow, then no phone would capture the shot without the blur. If however the iso was low and the shutter slow, that would indicate that HTC needs better software, like a sport mode, which is conspicuously absent.
The 3rd pic of the 2 kids in the gym: No flash. aperture value - f/2.0; focal length - 3.82 mm; exposure time 1/30 second; ISO: 151; exposure program - normal; white balance - auto; contrast and saturation normal; exposure bias value - 0.00 EV.

The pic in the hallway; exposure time 1/24 second; aperture value: f/2.0 ISO: 212. no flash, rest of the details are the same.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
The 3rd pic of the 2 kids in the gym: No flash. aperture value - f/2.0; focal length - 3.82 mm; exposure time 1/30 second; ISO: 151; exposure program - normal; white balance - auto; contrast and saturation normal; exposure bias value - 0.00 EV.

Hallway pic - OK, the problem here is movement with too slow of a shutter speed. Unfortunately the One didn't boost the ISO to allow for a faster shutter. You should be able to get around that by manually setting a higher ISO - say 400 or 800. But that kind of sucks becuase it is a pain to switch it back and forth. Maybe if you know there is going to be shots with a lot of action you can set it to 800 and leave it there for the duration.

Ideally, HTC would have a way to set the minimum shutter speed. It is really one of the big shortcomings of the camera is that you can't set the shutter speed and there is not sport or action mode to do it automatically.

The pick of 2 kids in the gym - zoom is a problem as it is not good to begin with. secondly, the more you zoom the more camera movement is going to affect the picture. At 1/30 of a second and zoomed in you have to have very steady hands. I suspect the poor zoom quality combined with camera movement is the issue here. As well as the inability for you to set the shutter speed faster. If you were at 1/100 or higher you probably would have had better results.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hallway pic - OK, the problem here is movement with too slow of a shutter speed. Unfortunately the One didn't boost the ISO to allow for a faster shutter. You should be able to get around that by manually setting a higher ISO - say 400 or 800. But that kind of sucks becuase it is a pain to switch it back and forth. Maybe if you know there is going to be shots with a lot of action you can set it to 800 and leave it there for the duration.

Ideally, HTC would have a way to set the minimum shutter speed. It is really one of the big shortcomings of the camera is that you can't set the shutter speed and there is not sport or action mode to do it automatically.

The pick of 2 kids in the gym - zoom is a problem as it is not good to begin with. secondly, the more you zoom the more camera movement is going to affect the picture. At 1/30 of a second and zoomed in you have to have very steady hands. I suspect the poor zoom quality combined with camera movement is the issue here. As well as the inability for you to set the shutter speed faster. If you were at 1/100 or higher you probably would have had better results.
I've taken a few very nice shots with the One, usually zoomed in, not that far away.
But anything from a distance of more than 5-10 feet, is usually blurry.
So it looks like my One's camera is OK, it's settings that need to be adjusted.
Thank you for the help. It's appreciated.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Would this be considered a decent shot. I was passing another car and took this shot just to see how fast the camera was. I know it's not perfect as it makes the car look stretched but considering I was going about 50 mph and the other car was doing about 40 mph ( combined speed of 90 mph) and I took this shot as we were passing each other and pressed the shutter when he was right beside me thru the side window. Here is picture and details.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-05-30-17-10-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-05-30-17-10-04.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAG0183.jpg
    IMAG0183.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 48

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Would this be considered a decent shot. I was passing another car and took this shot just to see how fast the camera was. I know it's not perfect as it makes the car look stretched but considering I was going about 50 mph and the other car was doing about 40 mph ( combined speed of 90 mph) and I took this shot as we were passing each other and pressed the shutter when he was right beside me thru the side window. Here is picture and details.

Looks pretty good. That is a pretty darn fast shutter speed.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
normal[1].jpg IMAG0123[1].jpg Normal Mode

night[1].jpg IMAG0125[1].jpg Night Mode

hdr[1].jpg IMAG0128[1].jpg HDR Mode

OK, as I've admitted, I need photog lessons, as I am not at all well-versed in this area. I want to point-and-shoot (and pray!). Anyway, on the way back in from the yard tonight, I noticed my rhododendrons in full-bloom, so I hauled out my One and snapped some pics. I took two pics in each of the three standard modes (normal, night, and hdr). I then selected the better of the two. This is about an hour before sundown, and the sun is on the other side of the garage, so there was no light whatsoever provided for these pics. I thought they turned out pretty well, except the night-mode shots.

Last edited:

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 70056 Normal Mode

View attachment 70055 Night Mode

View attachment 70057 HDR Mode

OK, as I've admitted, I need photog lessons, as I am not at all well-versed in this area. I want to point-and-shoot (and pray!). Anyway, on the way back in from the yard tonight, I noticed my rhododendrons in full-bloom, so I hauled out my One and snapped some pics. I took two pics in each of the three standard modes (normal, night, and hdr). I then selected the better of the two. This is about an hour before sundown, and the sun is on the other side of the garage, so there was no light whatsoever provided for these pics. I thought they turned out pretty well, except the night-mode shots.

They look good. Even the night mode would probably look as good if you ran it through autoenhance in the gallery editor.

Could you post up what the ISOs and shutter speeds were, just for reference. Knowing the ISO and Shutter we can understand the amount of light that was present. Just tap the pic in the gallery and hit the overflow menu and scroll down to details.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
They look good. Even the night mode would probably look as good if you ran it through autoenhance in the gallery editor.

Could you post up what the ISOs and shutter speeds were, just for reference. Knowing the ISO and Shutter we can understand the amount of light that was present. Just tap the pic in the gallery and hit the overflow menu and scroll down to details.

Done. Correctly. Hoping and praying. Again. ;)

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Done. Correctly. Hoping and praying. Again. ;)

Thanks.

Those are interesting numbers. The auto mode has a higher ISO and shorter exposure, yet has better color. I guess the night mode must be optimized beyond just ISO and exposure time. There must be a reason it has less saturation. Just guessing, I would think that perhaps lowering saturation is intended to reduce noise in longer exposures.

The HDR info isn't really relevant I think because usually HDR is done by taking more then one exposure and blending them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow