HTC One: Getting a refurbished phone?

BitchImFatJesus

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
What are the pros and cons of getting a refurbished phone from TMobile? I'm trying to decide whether I should get the $50 refurbished phone from TMo or just spending $175 on insurance for a brand new one.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Ngster

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Getting a refurbished phone?

Getting a refurbished phone is almost like getting a new one. They give you a Certified Like-New device, meaning it has been used but has no defects.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

To elaborate on what Ngster said. It can be a phone that has been used and returned under the 15 day test period. They cant sell it as new so its a used device from then on. These make great "refurbished" stock items for carriers.
But basically a refurb is a used device that if cosmetically perfect and has no actual problems can be sold again. It can also be a damaged device that was re-built then tested to meet manufacturer specs. Unfortunately they dont tell you who refurbished it or who certified it.
For example, Was it HTC / manufacturer who refurbished it or a 3rd part representing T-Mobile? Im usually OK with Manufacturer refurb equipment. But look at companies like Asurion. I hear stories all the time of how their refurbished devices fail or have problems. Thats because Asurion has their own techs and they refurb their own stuff and might use different standards then the manufacturer.

5tephen

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

My HTC One is a refurbished device from T-Mobile. (Meaning that's my carrier, not necessarily who refurb'ed it). And I have had absolutely 0 issues with it. I've had it since November.

BitchImFatJesus

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I know what refurbished is, I'm just trying to decide whether I should give TMo $50 for a device swap or I should give Asurion $175 for a brand new phone

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The way phones are now days and people changing and upgrading so often. I would just get a refurbished one. Save the money get the same phone...you won't have it another year probably.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I know what refurbished is, I'm just trying to decide whether I should give TMo $50 for a device swap or I should give Asurion $175 for a brand new phone

With insurance they aren't always new devices.

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

BitchImFatJesus

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The way phones are now days and people changing and upgrading so often. I would just get a refurbished one. Save the money get the same phone...you won't have it another year probably.

Sent from my HTCONE using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I have an HTC One and I plan on keeping it for one more year or so. Pretty solid phone

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Nothing wrong with a refurb. Its a new condition device thats been inspected and repaired of any flaws.

cristianocr7

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I have one thru Verizon. No issues, never had issues with refurb going back to my blackberry days.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

DSwati

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Getting a refurbished phone is not a bad idea coz it comes with everything like warranty, accessories, and off-course if fits to your budget as well.

BUT the point is that you should buy it from some trusty source. I knew few of them.. let me know if you want me to tell you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool