HTC one m8 camera problem (night photos)

Creed1989

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
ello, i bought this phone 2 months ago and everything was fine, night pictures were great and i really enjoyed it. I don't take many night pictures but it's cool to know that u can use your phone when u need it and take a good pic. So last night i was taking some pics and something was strange to me, when a take a picture there is no details, auto focus do it's job but when flash come and picture is taken it becomes little blurry and i lose details. The last second of autofocus - picture is good, but when it takes picture it's blurry. Day pictures are fine.

I didn't install any aps except Kitkat update 4.4.3.

Here you can see pictures of my camera before (when it was good) and now. Pictures are taken on the same place, same brightness and same camera options (default camera options), so please check it, i marked it with : before and now.

Any help please ?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    682.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    792.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 116

CountryDevil

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Loss of details and blurry photos are usually the culprit of a dirty camera lens. That there is the first and foremost answer anyone is going to give you. As for the second reason there is a known issue with the camera lens coating on the M8 that can cause a the same issue with night or day photos. This issue has been discussed extensively in this thread:

HTC One M8 Camera Lens Cover Issue

I can tell you that I had the same issue with night photos and although my lens was clean, ended up being the camera lens issue. After cleaning the coating off with a lightly moistened microfiber cloth, I was able to get the clarity of the photos back in your before pictures.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Loss of details and blurry photos are usually the culprit of a dirty camera lens. That there is the first and foremost answer anyone is going to give you. As for the second reason there is a known issue with the camera lens coating on the M8 that can cause a the same issue with night or day photos. This issue has been discussed extensively in this thread:

HTC One M8 Camera Lens Cover Issue

I can tell you that I had the same issue with night photos and although my lens was clean, ended up being the camera lens issue. After cleaning the coating off with a lightly moistened microfiber cloth, I was able to get the clarity of the photos back in your before pictures.

I would think that wouldn't have been the issue due to the fact that the before pictures were clear. If the lens cover had been the issue then the before pictures never would have been clear in the first place.

No, same situation after cleaning...I did factory reset too, but no - again low night photos...

From looking at your pictures I at first thought it might have to do with the angle you took the pictures since focus and brightness can quickly change from one angle to the next. Most of your before pictures look like they were taken from a position closer to the ground, and a more of a horizontal angle than the after ones that appear to be from a slightly more diagonal, higher up, ground facing view which is also why I thought the flowers appeared more orange in the before and pink in the after, but your last picture (unless you mixed up the order and labeling) is counter to those others in both color and angle. (Aside from weather and age effecting the flowers directly of course).

Have you checked to make sure you don't have a zoom feature active/enabled? (The factory reset would have likely eliminated that as a factor, but I thought it worth asking anyway). To confirm you didn't possibly use the default camera app in one case, and the Zoe camera app in the other did you? As a test try taking the pictures with both apps, and see if one happens to turn out better than the other. I know the Zoe app was updated at one time, but I don't know about the default camera app. Its possible one of the default settings was changed from one release to another.

My HTC One m8 is still on 4.4.2 (on the Verizon Network), so unfortunately I can't tell you if the change is related to the 4.4.3 update or not.

Perhaps if you would post all the settings that are selected in each of the camera settings areas while you are taking those pictures then people who feel they have clear night pictures can tell you where their settings differ, and you can try their settings to see if it fixes the issue for you.

Creed1989

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
No, i took it from 1000 angles and always the same - blurry. Also when i photo myself and someone else - blurry.
Zoom off. I always use default camera.
I can't believe this is happening, from great night pictures now i can't take a picture at night...

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
No, i took it from 1000 angles and always the same - blurry. Also when i photo myself and someone else - blurry.
Zoom off. I always use default camera.
I can't believe this is happening, from great night pictures now i can't take a picture at night...

When you say you're taking photos of yourself are you talking about using the front camera (self-ies?), and when your talking of taking them of someone else (or the flowers) those were with the back camera (on the back of the phone)? In other words you're saying you get blurry pictures from both cameras, not just one? You're holding your finger on the key (focus) item in your picture before you take it, correct?

Post what all your in app settings are, and maybe someone can recommend a change that might improve your picture quality.

Creed1989

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm not talking about selfies. I set up 5 seconds counting and picture myself with back camera and i get blurry pictures. I did it before and pictures were great, so sharpen and a lot of details.

About camera settings, i use default settings, as i told you - i did factory reset.

Dylan Nunez Bonilla

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my phone as well ever since I updated my htc one m8 to 4.4.3 from 4.4.2 taking pictures in low light are not like they use to be before when I took low light pics it was so hd clear but after the update it messed up the low light quality just hang in there don't keep messing around with it the new 4.4.4 update will be coming soon I mean the 4.4.3 update is the first real update the htc one m8 has seen since it came out so of course there is going to be some problems at first but when they release the 4.4.4 it will be fixed trust me you are not alone

Dylan Nunez Bonilla

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem with my phone as well ever since I updated my htc one m8 to 4.4.3 from 4.4.2 taking pictures in low light are not like they use to be before when I took low light pics it was so hd clear but after the update it messed up the low light quality just hang in there don't keep messing around with it the new 4.4.4 update will be coming soon I mean the 4.4.3 update is the first real update the htc one m8 has seen since it came out so of course there is going to be some problems at first but when they release the 4.4.4 it will be fixed trust me you are not alone

Creed1989

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I thought it's onl in my head the reason it could be about 4.4.3 update...

I think next update will be Android L and not so fast, as i could read HTC team converted 4.4.4 update in this 4.4.3.

Dylan Nunez Bonilla

Aug 15, 2014
Visit site
yea its the new update that did this its vary annoying even though I don't use the camera to often when I do I would like it to work but what can we do the update is on trust me its the update because before when I took the pic and the flash comes on it looks so clear and hd but that minute you take the pic and open it in your gallery it comes out looking so washed out and gorse and that is NOT how it was before 4.4.3 its the first update htc has seen so we would have to except there to be a few problems here and there

grendel187

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I too am having a problem after updating to 4.4.3 on t-no. However, my problem isn't just night photos. Pictures during the day don't focus at all. The focus box stays white for a couple (about 3-4) seconds and then goes to green, but the image isn't focused. Tapping on the screen only seems to change the exposure or adjust the iris making the picture brighter or darker depending on the light. I noticed that it seems like it is stuck in macro mode. Close ups (within 6 inches) are crystal clear. I have also removed the coating prior to the update and that made my pictures very clear, however it went back to the blurry mess after the update. I have also tried other camera apps and my phone is not rooted. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I too am having a problem after updating to 4.4.3 on t-no. However, my problem isn't just night photos. Pictures during the day don't focus at all. The focus box stays white for a couple (about 3-4) seconds and then goes to green, but the image isn't focused. Tapping on the screen only seems to change the exposure or adjust the iris making the picture brighter or darker depending on the light. I noticed that it seems like it is stuck in macro mode. Close ups (within 6 inches) are crystal clear. I have also removed the coating prior to the update and that made my pictures very clear, however it went back to the blurry mess after the update. I have also tried other camera apps and my phone is not rooted. Has anyone found a fix for this yet?

And, yet again another problem with the HTC camera. My M7 went back to HTC for purple haze after an update, my M8 is on its way back from HTC repair due to the camera lens coat scratch issue, and now it looks like you all are saying that the damn thing won't focus properly after the 4.4.3 update. WTF HTC??????? I think I'm selling this phone and moving to something else especially if i update the thing and it jacks up my camera... AGAIN!

grendel187

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone ever tried getting t-mobile to replace the phone? I don't have "jump", but I bought the phone about3 months ago.

Creed1989

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
And, yet again another problem with the HTC camera. My M7 went back to HTC for purple haze after an update, my M8 is on its way back from HTC repair due to the camera lens coat scratch issue, and now it looks like you all are saying that the damn thing won't focus properly after the 4.4.3 update. WTF HTC??????? I think I'm selling this phone and moving to something else especially if i update the thing and it jacks up my camera... AGAIN!

If u update it to 4.4.3 please post us some night photos.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan