HTC One (M8): My battery life sucks what's wrong?

stlcards504

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I was having a similar problem my first few days with the phone. I asked my son who knows a ton about android and he changed some of the Google app settings and that really helped me out. There were some location settings and other things that were always running and that was causing some of the battery issues. Wish I knew what they were to tell you to check, but he just grabbed the phone and went to town. After that it lasts much longer.

Another option is to do a simple phone restart by holding down the power button as that will close any running apps. Sometimes you just have things that won't close. That has helped me a couple times as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Jun Alcanites

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I did a factory reset last night, but I had to restore my phone setting from my backup, which restored all my apps back. My batt. is now down to 89% after 2.5 hours being unplugged from the charger. Wifi, gps, blutooth are all off. Screen is set to the second from the lowest, screen timeout is set to 1 minute. GSAM is saying the screen uses 39.4%, app usage is at 51.6%. When I click on app usage, there is no glaring app that is obvious, the highest being android system at 10.8%. I will to a factory reset again tonight but start from scratch. Otherwise, this phone is going to Verizon for a replacement.

Jun Alcanites

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I just did another hard reset on my M8 on my lunch break. Batt was at 65% an hour ago. It is now at 57%. The only app I downloaded is the GSAM. Everything is off at this time.

bucketheadmn

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: My battery life sucks what's wrong ?

You can't upload an image using the official Android Central app. But, you can use Tapatalk, the Mobile Nations app, or the Android Central Forums app (the one that is based off of Tapatalk. It looks exactly like the old Tapatalk.)

Thanks for this. I had no idea there was a separate forums app, heh.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

AshtonVibe

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Tips for battery life, my specialty! GPS switch to battery saving or just OFF.
Turn auto sync off for everything if you can. Log out of Facebook until your ready to use it. Use stock email app for background running issues. Yahoo Mail BAD, but Gmail is GREAT. Facebook Messenger is BAD.
Check sync settings. By default, the mail app checks every 15 min, thats 96 TIMES A DAY! If you didnt get an email that day, then worthless.
If app constantly runs the back, uninstall.
Dont hurt your phone with task killers. Battery managers even run in the back wasting your battery to try and save it. Does that make sense?
Google Now, great but REPETITIVE. Turn it all off, as you can still say: "Ok Google".
Sign out of your accounts in apps, especially in the browsers. This is even great for security. I dont need Google to know whobI am, for me to search some quick and pointless topic, because im bored. Even if it were important, I dont need it.
Auto brightness? Not unless your always outside. Turn it on as low as you can stand, then leave it.
Turn off LED notifications, vibrations, keypress feedback.
Much more... Its all up to how you use your phone. I use it constantly, and I dont need help to get my attention, find my address, remember what I did last night, try to guess what I want in the future, blah blah blah.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Nice post, a little extreme, but nice none the less. Reminds me of folks hypermiling with their cars

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I set it up last night and have been playing with it today...a lot of reading websites and forums, tweaking settings etc.

e5y4u7eb.jpg

etabyme6.jpg

J-Dam

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

There's a pretty good and recent article on AC entitled "Top Tips for Saving Battery Life on the Samsung S5" that might help.

Top tips for saving battery life on the Samsung Galaxy S5 | Android Central

i read thru this last night and made what adjustments i could to my M8, put it on the charger and went to bed. Took the phone off the charger at 7:30am and right now at 11pm i still have 44% left moderate+ use. i am on day 5 with my phone so i don't know if my battery has just settled in or the changes that were made did the trick, but i'm a happy camper. Before today my battery life was pretty abysmal. This phone doesn't sit at 100% very long though. Not long after i take it off charge it drops fairly quick to 97%.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

i read thru this last night and made what adjustments i could to my M8, put it on the charger and went to bed. Took the phone off the charger at 7:30am and right now at 11pm i still have 44% left moderate+ use. i am on day 5 with my phone so i don't know if my battery has just settled in or the changes that were made did the trick, but i'm a happy camper. Before today my battery life was pretty abysmal. This phone doesn't sit at 100% very long though. Not long after i take it off charge it drops fairly quick to 97%.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Congratulations! I am glad that your battery life has improved and is now acceptable. I hope you enjoy your M8.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
My battery life is pretty bad also can someone share exactly how to change the settings to help manage battery life? I'm losing like 10% in just 30 minutes

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
My battery life is pretty bad also can someone share exactly how to change the settings to help manage battery life? I'm losing like 10% in just 30 minutes

There is lots of information about this in the forums. You obviously haven't even read this thread, because the information is already available if you look.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
There is lots of information about this in the forums. You obviously haven't even read this thread, because the information is already available if you look.

I did read it and factory reset twice. My android system is using alot of my battery
Is this normal?

u9eta6u7.jpg

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I have read all great reviews on the battery life but mine only makes it about 9 hours then I have 20% left that's with playing no games about 15 mins of calls a few texts and a little YouTube it just keeps draining it is new so I don't know if batterys have to run threw a few cycles before it gets better but if some could help me out I would appreciate it greatly.

It sounds like you probably have a rogue app. I watched about 5 movie trailers on YouTube, texted throughout the day, emailed constantly, had Wifi on, left all services on, browsed the CNET app, Internet, Android Central app, and used the phone as my television and Roku remote. I had about 40% battery life left at 10:00pm. That was 16 hours of pretty regular use. My phone barely drains battery when I am not using it.

I doubt your battery is bad, but it is certainly possible.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site

You may have a rogue app draining power. That is extreme battery loss unless you are watching YouTube videos for that full 30 minutes.

I lost 8% when I watched a full episode of Lost on Netflix, which is about 48 minutes long. I had full brightness and was using the boomsound speakers.

You may have something draining your battery.

I can make it a full day easily and I have GPS, NFC, and all Google location services turned on. Of course, wifi is always on, but not always connected.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
You may have a rogue app draining power. That is extreme battery loss unless you are watching YouTube videos for that full 30 minutes.

I lost 8% when I watched a full episode of Lost on Netflix, which is about 48 minutes long. I had full brightness and was using the boomsound speakers.

You may have something draining your battery.

I can make it a full day easily and I have GPS, NFC, and all Google location services turned on. Of course, wifi is always on, but not always connected.

I bearly watched YouTube. Should I take my device to carrier for replacement?