Not open for further replies.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Wow talk about gadget spam! Just as Sammy is deemphasizing gimmicks for the sake of gimmicks HTC pulls a 2013 and loads up on gimmicks. Nonetheless that brushed aluminum sure looks sweet.

And yet the gimmick-deemphasized S5 still has scores more gimmicks than the M8

Posted via Android Central App

vamp464

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like they are using one of the lower variants of the 801 based on that clockspeed. We'll see how well optimized the phone is this time around to make use of that slightly larger battery. Perhaps some limitations there in keeping the phone thin and curved. Power consumption was supposed to be more efficient from the 600 to 800, so we'll see.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Not the way I use a phone my droid razr maxx HD lasts me maybe 10 hrs with my use as I use hotspot to run my tablet and still Facebook and browse many forums with tapatalk as well with a few hundred text in my work shift. So it's vital for me to have a phone that will go at least as long as my current phone.

That's fair, but that's pretty different usage from your average user. That may mean that the M8 isn't for you, sad though that may be.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
So, you say you can't decide on the best phone of 2014 until the year is over, but you can say the S5 is better than this when this hasn't even been announced?

To be fair, what he actually said was that the S5 was "the best phone of 2014 so far". I'm assuming he meant because the M8 hasn't been officially unveiled yet, not that the S5 was actually superior to the M8.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Wow talk about gadget spam! Just as Sammy is deemphasizing gimmicks for the sake of gimmicks HTC pulls a 2013 and loads up on gimmicks. Nonetheless that brushed aluminum sure looks sweet.

I'm confused. Based on information in this post there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of "gimmicks". There's not a whole lot here that couldn't also be applied to the M7 except for the focus on the front facing camera, which is more a response to what people do than being just a gimmick IMO (being away from my family has changed my opinion on selfies).

Some of the camera stuff might be gimmicky (3D effects), but other than that Sammie is doing identical stuff with their camera software.

Unless I'm missing something the only other thing is the rip off of LG's knock knock, which sounds gimmicky but in use is pretty awesome. I just hope HTC makes it more reliable than LG did. If not, the usefulness goes away somewhat for annoyance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
To be fair, what he actually said was that the S5 was "the best phone of 2014 so far". I'm assuming he meant because the M8 hasn't been officially unveiled yet, not that the S5 was actually superior to the M8.

I guess I can accept that interpretation as well. You're more optimistic than me lol. :p

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I'd be lying if I said I didn't think you were already going to go with the S5. :p

So, you say you can't decide on the best phone of 2014 until the year is over, but you can say the S5 is better than this when this hasn't even been announced?

I would like to know how having the same storage option as the S5 automatically makes it worse.

Like I've been saying, I am eyeing three phones right now. The S5, M8, and Z2. I'll withhold my decision until all three have been released and looked at by normal people. (or, knowing me, I'll just go get something on launch day and then exchange it if it sucks :p )

My statement on the GS5 being the best for 2014 was a dig at those claiming the One 2014 is the best of 2014. Nuff said. The "new" HTC One is a warmed over 2013 HTC One, reduced storage, so so camera (will 2 be twice as horrible as 1). Who knows. HTC isn't a top contender anymore and that is their own fault.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
My statement on the GS5 being the best for 2014 was a dig at those claiming the One 2014 is the best of 2014. Nuff said. The "new" HTC One is a warmed over 2013 HTC One, reduced storage, so so camera (will 2 be twice as horrible as 1). Who knows. HTC isn't a top contender anymore and that is their own fault.

The M7 won phone of the year for 2013 at MWC. So in the "what was the best phone of 2013" category HTC did great.

In things like "making money in 2013" not so much lol.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Not a top contender? The One was the best phone in 2013, at least until LG G2 came around.
Even if the M8 is "warmed-over" HTC One, then it should be better than the S5 that is an S4 warmed-over phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I would like to know how having the same storage option as the S5 automatically makes it worse.

Like I've been saying, I am eyeing three phones right now. The S5, M8, and Z2. I'll withhold my decision until all three have been released and looked at by normal people. (or, knowing me, I'll just go get something on launch day and then exchange it if it sucks :p )

So far, for what I value in Android devices, the best 3 phones of 2014 came out in 2013.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, you're right. From the moment they decided to get rid of removable batteries and SD Card slots, they've been on life support.

Also the fact that Samsung devoted a smear campaign against HTC is proof that they aren't a top contender and aren't even worth devoting attention to. That alone is proof that HTC isn't even a threat even in the slightest.

I'm amazed that you already know how the new "so so" camera system will perform. I envy your advanced foresight. Hopefully their ultrapixel camera will be nuff to print out good nuff pictures that have nuff detail this time.

Edit: I don't think the best of 2014 can be declared this early.

Edit again: I'm being 95% sarcastic

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Also the fact that Samsung devoted a smear campaign against HTC is proof that they aren't a top contender and aren't even worth devoting attention to. That alone is proof that HTC isn't even a threat even in the slightest.

Actually, devoting a smear campaign against HTC validates HTC as a threat, IMO.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Crap.. I forgot to add that I was being extremely sarcastic in about 95% of my current..ooopsss

ErnstMach

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
So I saw on the eBay device leak that the RAM is DDR2, how big of a speed difference is that from DDR3?
Also how, after all these leaks, do we still not know the rear camera resolution??

On a side note, HTC really needs to work on their security. I'm pretty sure the Titanic had fewer leaks.

el3ctronics

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Literally the ONLY thing that would prevent me from getting this phone is if it had under an 8MP camera on the back. Ultrapixel or not, I need to be able to crop and print my images...not just post them on Instagram.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Literally the ONLY thing that would prevent me from getting this phone is if it had under an 8MP camera on the back. Ultrapixel or not, I need to be able to crop and print my images...not just post them on Instagram.

Then I'm guessing you won't get it.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skrifjar14