HTC One: Problems after KitKat 4.4 update (WiFi and Google TTS)

mikeoc

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Problems after KitKat 4.4 update (WiFi and Google TTS)

I had this problem today and I only bought the phone (HTC One) this morning - worked fine, then 4.4 update magically appeared, of course I installed it, and have spent all afternoon trying to get the ohone to connect to wifi. Renaming the phone name in Wifi Direct didn't work for me, but a factory reset did. In fact, the phone has reset to 4.4.2, so I still have the update, but it wifi connection is now working as it should? Weird!

nrgreenwood

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm with Vodafone in the UK and couldn't connect to WiFi after updating to Kit Kat but renaming to HTC One worked for me. Many thanks

sistinaSmiles

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

I am still having this problem after the kitkat update.

since the update I have been unable to connect to my home network through wifi. it continually says: Saved, secured with wpa, then: connecting, then: Saved, secured with wpa. I have a laptop, Iphone4, ipad, and samsung tablet that all connect to the wifi just fine. I have power cycled the router. I have changed the passkey and retried, I've switched to no security - it still wouldn't connect to my wifi - it just says: saved. I can connect just fine to the wifi at the coffee shop, and to my corporate wifi which also requires a passkey. I've restarted the device with all kinds of combinations of forgeting, turning off wifi, etc. I've also done two factory resets in an attempt to reset the wifi. I'm running out of ideas. any advice would be appreciated.

Chris32v

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

I'm also having issues. No WiFi at all and I also noticed when I get a text the ring tone is all crackly. My battery also doesn't last as long as before. Major disappointment! I really wished I would have googled any kitkat issues before hitting update. It's so silly how well known this seems to be yet when you call HTC or tmobile they walk you through completely useless and time consuming steps that obviously do nothing. After resetting the phone my WiFi came back...for an hour then it was back to nothing. Renaming it did nothing either :/

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site

I was having the same issue, just started today. The rename of WiFi direct to HTC One worked for me as well, thanks.

Posted via Android Central App with the HTC One

Eisenhorne

May 3, 2013
Visit site

What does renaming of the WiFi direct do??? Looks like the default one is Android_88fe. Is that the same for everyone else?

Boat Racer

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

My default is Android_d6a5 I am also having WiFi connection problems with my home network in that I have to manually enter the password each time I leave the area or shut the phone off and turn it back on. I will try the great recommendation to rename also to see if that resolves my issue.

Scud_1373

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

My default is Android_d6a5 I am also having WiFi connection problems with my home network in that I have to manually enter the password each time I leave the area or shut the phone off and turn it back on. I will try the great recommendation to rename also to see if that resolves my issue.

Same here. Renaming didn't fix it. :mad:

Kymberly Larson

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

Hey...wanted you to know that your advice totally saved me! Thanks! Anyone struggling with the HTC One not recognizing or having authentication issues since the Kit Kat update...this worked for me! Thanks again!!!!!

mikeoc

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site

I found I was my battery was running out fast, dropping by 1% every 3-4 mins of using the phone - whether this be calling, texting, or checking emails. Not normal, and my Android system in the Power useage was up to 90%. Having spent the last two days going round on circles on the internet trying everyone's various fixes, none of which worked, I took my phone back to the store this morning, as it is only 3 days old, and they swapped it over for a new one - it's running 4.3, and I'm gonna keep it that way!

Boat Racer

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site

So far so good. I have left the area twice and turned the phone off and on twice in the past two days and so far it has reconnected to my home wireless system automatically since changing the name to HTC One. This problem had been happening before the last update to KitKat 4.4 by the way. Thank you for the suggestion. :cool:

Craig Dunne

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site

hi all, new to android central ^__^, rem yeah?basically i did the update 2/3 days ago and my wifi doesn't stick, its completely fine, however, the moment i disconnect from the wifi, to go walk the dog or something, then all of a sudden I'm left with my mobile internet and it stutters and starts.stops and goes nowhere, my friend has got it too, ever since the update, every time i reset the phone it works for at most ten minutes the drops again!

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site

I've noticed that since the KitKat update my personal photo icon under the drop down quick settings changed from my current FB profile pic to a blank silhouette. I've tried removing and then adding back both my google and facebook accounts and re-syncing them. It hasn't changed it back. My google+ profile pic still shows and can be used, but I prefer to use my FB pic. Anyone else notice this?

Jakob Isindahowz

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
With the seemingly endless bugs and flaws with this supposed top of the line product, Apple doesn't need to advertise because I already know where I am going as soon as this gong show ends.
Frankly, I don't care how many apps or how customised I can make my phone because if it doesn't work then to me it's pure garbage. What's worse is I have no answers from Android or HTC and have to come here and try a bunch of things that may or may not work. I really like the, Try a hard reset, idea. Ya loose everything in hopes it will fix it. Ya good times. I was under the impression these companies had people who know what they're doing and would get it right and if not have a fix quickly rather than leaving us to asking each other what to do.

arbour0713

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm able to select "WiFi Direct", but there are no 3dots on the next screen, and the "Rename Device" button at the bottom is greyed out - any thoughts?