HTC One Sales at 5 Million!

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Are you comparing cars to phones?? LOL
HTC one $550/$600?
S4 $600/$700

On contract one is $149 i think and the other $199.

Chevrolet 20k/25k?
Benz 50k+

Oh yea i see how you associate both :-X

Anyways.
I haven't had the chance to play with HTC one but it looks like a sick phone. 5m is great considering you don't see many ads. Im sure next one will have more marketing behind it. Nit's nice to have choice in such a dominated market :)

Dang it! Chevrolet just outsold Mercedes Benz AGAIN last month. I'm going to have to sell my 3-point star and get the bowtie, because obviously, this means they are better!!!

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Congrats to HTC on a solid start. Let's hope they continue strong. The One is a great device deserving of some great attention.

Posted via Android Central App

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Are you comparing cars to phones?? LOL
HTC one $550/$600?
S4 $600/$700

On contract one is $149 i think and the other $199.

Chevrolet 20k/25k?
Benz 50k+

Oh yea i see how you associate both :-X

Anyways.
I haven't had the chance to play with HTC one but it looks like a sick phone. 5m is great considering you don't see many ads. Im sure next one will have more marketing behind it. Nit's nice to have choice in such a dominated market :)

I'm making the point that so many people in our society equate sales volume with quality. It would be nice if the best product always won, but we both know, that is not the case, especially here in the USA. It's a valid point, whether or not you appreciate the analogy.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm making the point that so many people in our society equate sales volume with quality. It would be nice if the best product always won, but we both know, that is not the case, especially here in the USA. It's a valid point, whether or not you appreciate the analogy.

I would have used Impreza vs Civic or such. The civic is likely sold at many orders of magnitude compared to the Impreza. They are much closer in price compared to Mercedes v Chevrolet but I would argue the Impreza is a better car.

But yeah, one should always remember sales figures do not indicate quality inherently. They can but it's not really safe to assume when making a purchase.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
If true, this is good for HTC. A few thoughts:

1. Will HTC recognize that the One could be picking up steam and now is the time to strike with some well-timed and very carefully-placed marketing?
  2. Will HTC be able to influence the carriers to give the One prominent displays in their corporate stores and get them to promote the product?
  3. If they get this to Verizon, it will help tremendously.
Point two is important, because I (unscientifically) estimate that 75-85% of the people who walk into the store either want an iPhone or a Samsung, simply because that's all they know or have heard. (Most are not gadget freaks like us.) If, for example, the AT&T corporate store has a beautiful, prominent display for the One, like they have at all three corp. stores in my town, HTC will be wildly successful (by HTC standards). One of my local stores told me they are selling about 50/50 of the One vs. GS4, and they have a beautiful display right in the center of the store...next to the GS4 display of the same size and style. Anecdotal, I know, but the power of in-store marketing can't be underestimated.

(Also, with Best Buy putting their in-store Samsung mine-stores up, it puts even more pressure on HTC, et al.)

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I would have used Impreza vs Civic or such. The civic is likely sold at many orders of magnitude compared to the Impreza. They are much closer in price compared to Mercedes v Chevrolet but I would argue the Impreza is a better car.

But yeah, one should always remember sales figures do not indicate quality inherently. They can but it's not really safe to assume when making a purchase.

If I was REALLY going to make a car analogy close to my heart, I would have compared Hyundai to Toyota and/or Honda! However, it is doubtful that many would have gotten my point. Either way, we are in agreement about the sales figures/quality correlation thing. :)

Jakiro201

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
A new beginning for a company, I hope that HTC One will be the foundation for their success in the future. Now bring us some new updates HTC !

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If true, this is good for HTC. A few thoughts:

1. Will HTC recognize that the One could be picking up steam and now is the time to strike with some well-timed and very carefully-placed marketing?
  2. Will HTC be able to influence the carriers to give the One prominent displays in their corporate stores and get them to promote the product?
  3. If they get this to Verizon, it will help tremendously.
Point two is important, because I (unscientifically) estimate that 75-85% of the people who walk into the store either want an iPhone or a Samsung, simply because that's all they know or have heard. (Most are not gadget freaks like us.) If, for example, the AT&T corporate store has a beautiful, prominent display for the One, like they have at all three corp. stores in my town, HTC will be wildly successful (by HTC standards). One of my local stores told me they are selling about 50/50 of the One vs. GS4, and they have a beautiful display right in the center of the store...next to the GS4 display of the same size and style. Anecdotal, I know, but the power of in-store marketing can't be underestimated.

(Also, with Best Buy putting their in-store Samsung mine-stores up, it puts even more pressure on HTC, et al.)

Base on personal experience, most retail stores put the phone on display the most based on the best kickback available. This is part of that marketing and budget issue.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
5 million sounds good. I would imagine those sales would have been even higher if they had been able to get more product in every store. I don't know what it's like at other retailers, but I know many Tmo stores still don't have them. Even in this day and age, not everyone orders from a website. The brick and mortar effect cannot be ignored. Many sales are walk ins. And then there's the whole Verizon thing which limits them greatly. It's not really a fair fight. HTC has been playing with one hand tied behind their back. Some self inflicted, some not.

I think for the most part HTC is positioned well. They just need to work out their production and marketing issues. While Samsung might have sold twice as much, it should be noted that the majority of people in the world do not have EITHER device. So the market is still filled with opportunity and there is plenty of pie to go around. HTC just needs to exploit that. It would be interesting to know how this 5 million number stacks up to some other HTC releases of the past in the same window of time. Though it probably would be an apples to oranges comparison.

weblou

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree that we shouldn't equate quality with sales. But to be honest if something is really terrible it won't sell. It might get a few sells out of the gate but it won't last. With the internet and the reviews available today you won't last long.
The point I'm making is for a smartphone that sells so well it must have some quality to it. Because there's a ton of other smartphones in the same price range that we could choose from.
Comparing a Chevrolet to a Benz is.really not the same.
The Benz sells for quality and social status.
The Chevrolet for affordability (for must people I guess)

Anyways any phone is a great choice if it's the phone you like.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Bascially, sales doesn't tell the whole story obviously and can be misleading. Justin Bieber has sold more albums than Metallica - are we prepared to say that Bieber is putting out better music? Lol.

YES!! Thank you! I've been trying to say this forever and that's by far the best analogy so far.

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
YES!! Thank you! I've been trying to say this forever and that's by far the best analogy so far.
You're prepared to say that if you think Bieber makes better music than Metallica. I'm sure there are millions of fans who abhor heavy metal who would vociferously agree. It's that easy.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You're prepared to say that if you think Bieber makes better music than Metallica. I'm sure there are millions of fans who abhor heavy metal who would vociferously agree. It's that easy.

eh, I think I can speak for everyone that loathes Bieber that you could replace Metallica with just about anyone else and it'd still work :p Point taken, and I don't need to start a hate on Bieber thread, but sales does not equal quality is a valid statement, regardless of which analogy is used to express it.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
eh, I think I can speak for everyone that loathes Bieber that you could replace Metallica with just about anyone else and it'd still work :p Point taken, and I don't need to start a hate on Bieber thread, but sales does not equal quality is a valid statement, regardless of which analogy is used to express it.

What if it was a 3 way face off and you replaced Metallica with Michael Bolton and Boy George?

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No one should be surprised that the galaxy s4 is still winning the race. What they SHOULD be surprised about is that HTC is doing as well as it is. 5 million devices in a month and a half for a company that historically has struggled to produce numbers like that is huge.

What some seem to miss too, is that HTC doesn't need the kind of blowout numbers we're used to seeing from Samsung or apple. They need a solid handset that will provide a good financial foundation, which they can then use to build devices to sell at Samsung-like volumes.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What if it was a 3 way face off and you replaced Metallica with Michael Bolton and Boy George?

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

Welcome back Metz, haven't seen you in awhile. Um... As much as it hurts, I'd give either of them an edge over Bieber, but IMO those two suck equally. :)

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back Metz, haven't seen you in awhile. Um... As much as it hurts, I'd give either of them an edge over Bieber, but IMO those two suck equally. :)

Thanks. Busy time of year and it cuts into fun time.

Yea pretty bad group of girls for sure. I heard they will be replacing waterboarding with their music.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

No, sales volume can never be an indicator of product quality. Quality can have a relationship of causality with sales, but sales cannot have a relationship of causality with quality.

And if we are going to make analogies between phones and cars, the ONE should be a Lotus Elise. It's got an aluminum chassis, the battery is difficult to get out, and occasionally a trim piece will pop off.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site

Your endless blether about how great Samsung are is becoming a little tiresome, old chap. Samsung aren't the be-all and end-all you know. I have an S3 and there's plenty wrong with it, and the S4 is equally as flawed in some respect despite being a great phone in other areas. Which is why I chose the HTC One; it's annoyances are far less significant to me than those of the S4, and it's positives far outweigh those of the S4, again for me. 5 Million sales is excellent for HTC. The way you lever a comment into most posts about Samsung being superior somehow is, frankly, rather peculiar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201