HTC or Motorola- preferred manufacturer?

What manufacturer do you prefer when it comes to your next smart phone.

• Total voters

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I really love them both, but I'd have to pick HTC.

The build quality is superior, IMO. Sense is much better than Motoblur. And, when I went to buy my first Android phone, my best option was HTC. The Photon 4G may change my opinion though. I'll have to play with it.

mr.wizard

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
HTC
The Evo was my first HTC device, and I've enjoyed every bit of it. Speaking solely on hardware, HTC makes a quality device with good ergonomics. Software for both companies is irreverent to me (as any smart device I own gets hacked in some way) but HTC's stand on unlocked bootloaders may give them an edge, as many like to modify their devices

evoskydive

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, I've never owned a Motorola smartphone. I've played with the og Droid a lot though. At the time I had a Hero. HTC won me over with the hardware. The Droid looked cool, but the Hero just felt better in my hand. I didn't even know what Sense was when I bought my Hero. After using it for a full year, I was hooked. Played with friends and families devices running motoblur but was never impressed. I now have my Evo 4g and don't mind that I have to wait until October 2012 for an upgrade. Especially now that 2.3 has been pushed out. Sense widgets are the best looking I have seen. They look and feel polished and kind of futuristic, but not in a cheesy kind of way. I do wish they had more options for customizing the messaging and mail widgets. I like them but use Handcent for texting. Don't get me started on the crappy widget for Handcent. HTC won me over with the look and feel of their hardware and kept me with Sense. Plus they have really done a great job on updates over all. Things got bumby with the Hero 2.1 update, but they have rebounded well with the Evo 4g...two mmajor updates in less then 12 months! What other phone manufacture has done that? That is actually a feather in Sprints cap as well. Both HTC and Sprint should be using that in marketing. Sure the Evo is done with updates, but I'll be very happy with my HTC Evo 4g for the next 15 months.

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Samsung.
Best Battery life
Best Screen
Thin and Light.

Touch wiz sucks, but is easily dismissed.

The wife and I both owned Hero's and thought they were great. She upgraded to an EVO and I choose the Epic 4G. I don't hate my phone but I would much rather have choosen the EVO if I could go back because I love her phone (ok I kinda do hate my phone except the keyboard on it is great). My best friend and neighbor has a Droid X and I find it to be another awesome phone, I like the weight and feel like a light phone is cheap.

The vibrant "best screen" drew me at first on the Samsung but after owning it a little while I started to realize how fake the colors are and now it annoys me.

Between HTC and Moto it's HTC by a hair for me. Both good companies

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Easy.

Motorola does not manufacture anything.

Other companies make products and put Motorola's logo on for them.

HTC really does manufacture things like phones and tablets.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I prefer htc over them all.

Motorola makes some good phones but i hate motoblur with a passion.

Samsung has good software, but their phones feel like toys.

Not even going to get into lg phones.

Sent from my EVOlution

ANDROID__JUNKIE

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So to keep this fair I have jumped around a few carriers in the last few years because of work and relocating where I live. The devices I have had to compare with are as follows:
T-Mobile Cliq XT (Motorola)
Verizon Droid X (Motorola)
T-Mobile HD2 (HTC)
T-Mobile MyTouch 4g (HTC)

So each of these phones were really good, with the exception of the Cliq XT, and honestly I couldn't say either was better in build quality or features for when they were released and how I used them. I never had any airport shuffles or lawnmower incidents so I have to base my decision in which is the better brand off of user experience. I know that I didn't appreciate the fact that MotoBLUR was shoved down my throught, though I at times didn't really like Sense, but like others have said that is purely a launcher where as Blur is a social integration tool that cannot be turned off without root access...

I currently have an Epic 4G for personal use and a Blackberry Bold for work. I am not going to comment on those as the subject at hand is whether Motorola or HTC is better, so with all said...

HTC is my choice being that they have openly given a commitment to open boot loaders and don't force their flavor of social integration down my throat. Motorola needs to step up with their tablets too, I mean really? No SD card or LTE radio after how many months?

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Never had a Moto phone, so I'm sure my opinion is biased...but the two companies attitudes WRT rooting drives me strongly into the HTC camp. Moto goes to great lengths to prevent rooting and use of alternate ROMs, which means I have major reservations about buying a Moto phone.

Hardware - can't compare, but I've been extremely happy with the build quality and feature set of my HTC Evo.

Mtn_Scott

Remain Calm!
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The vibrant "best screen" drew me at first on the Samsung but after owning it a little while I started to realize how fake the colors are and now it annoys me.
That would be touch wiz colors. As I said touch wiz is obnoxious.

AS for sammy phones being toys, yes they are light, but that is due to construction quality not cheap materials. The Galaxy S line uses a magnesium "frame" to keep the weight down. Yes they could use a little heavier battery plate, but i will take the light plastic one.

Once again, it is all about preference.

wraith404

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
HTC is crap. I haven't had one thing from them be it phone or accessory that didn't break at least once during their pathetic warranty and again right after it expired.:mad:

washjayb

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
HTC

Ive been using HTC devices since the Windows Mobile PPC6600 days. Ive had few issues as i generally take good care of my phone. No case no screen protection just a trusty leather belt case. All of my HTC's still work.
Before the Android explosion XDA was a majority HTC branded or manufactured device forum. The development community for HTC devices is second to none.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Can I vote Samsung lol. I don't care what you say about touchwiz or the colors but I love em on my infuse. I had HTC before and the battery sucks, screen was no bueno, and it seemed to run slow. Plus that thing was as heavy as a brick.

Sent from da infuse mon!

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
HTC makes the nicer looking phones. Samsung makes the lightest phones. Motorola gives you the most bang for your buck. I've had phones from all of these manufacturers, but right now I'm using an Atrix.

virthddman

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Between the two I would go with Motorola - they make fairly tough phones.
HTC' are pretty good also but IMO not as durable as the Motorola.

I like the new Starbucks app - feel like some coffee now!
Also like the 2x mobiledevicemanagement app

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
HTC has the best overall built quality and OS customizations however Motorola has the best radios and speakers. Depends on what is more important to you I guess.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowoverhoe