I can't take it anymore, I'm going to go back to the Pixel 2 XL

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Bit of backstory:

- Purchased Pixel 2 XL at launch here (Oct 31)
- Noticed the screen had a dead pixel
- Took it to the store I purchased it from to replace, they didn't have any Pixel 2 XL's in stock
- Was told more new stock will be coming in December which would mean I run out of my 30 day early life failure period and wouldn't be able to provide me with a new device - would have to be sent in
- Was told I could instead swap it right there for any phone of equal or lesser value
- Chose to go with the Note 8 and have had it for a couple of weeks now
- Definitely not my cup of tea
- Ordered a Pixel 2 XL from Google and will sell the Note 8 once the Pixel arrives

I tried, I just couldn't get myself to love the Note 8. I think the Pixel kind of has the iPhone effect on me. The device that I can't move away from now. Anything else I try to use just doesn't perform as consistently or feel good enough to use on a daily basis. The Note 8 is a beautiful device, but the user experience on the Pixel is something just so good that the Note 8 felt 'ugh' to use after a while. I keep hearing people say 'no lag', 'no lag' on the Note 8, but I definitely saw it. Frame drops on transitions and scrolling, slight pauses when going to your homescreen etc. I think I've been brainwashed or something because I didn't even find the Note 8 that impressive. It's like an attractive person you meet that happens to be extremely shallow. You try to get to know them, but try as you might, sooner or later you don't want to be with them anymore.

I missed the Pixel. Missed it's clean interface, the consistency in operating it, it never got stuck or hanged on anything, the camera is definitely better and I just found I could do what I wanted to do faster and with less waiting. Kind of hard to explain, but now that I've experienced that level of phone smoothness, that has become the standard and that's what I expect out of whatever phone I have. The Note 8 just didn't do it for me.

Anyway, pretty excited to go back to the Pixel. Should arrive in just over a week. Going with the black model as I prefer the textured feel of the black more than the smooth white finish. Plus I'm worried about it getting dirty over time.

Back on the Pixel train, baby.

Last edited:

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Bit of backstory:

- Took it to the store I purchased it from to replace, they didn't have any Pixel 2 XL's in stock
- Was told more new stock will be coming in December which would mean I run out of my 30 day early life failure period and wouldn't be able to provide me with a new device - would have to be sent in
- Was told I could instead swap it right there for any phone of equal or lesser value
- Ordered a Pixel 2 XL from Google and will sell the Note 8 once the Pixel arrives

I tried, I just couldn't get myself to love the Note 8. I think the Pixel kind of has the iPhone effect on me. The device that I can't move away from now. Anything else I just just doesn't perform as consistently or feel good enough to use on a daily basis. The Note 8 is a beautiful device, but the user experience on the Pixel is something just so good that the Note 8 felt 'ugh' to use after a while. I keep hearing people say 'no lag', 'no lag' on the Note 8, but I definitely saw it. Frame drops on transitions and scrolling, slight pauses when going to your homescreen etc. I think I've been brainwashed or something because I didn't even find the Note 8 that impressive.

I missed the Pixel. Missed it's clean interface, the consistency in operating it, it never got stuck or hanged on anything, the camera is definitely better and I just found I could do what I wanted from do faster and with less waiting. Kind of hard to explain, but now that I've experienced that level of phone smoothness, that has become the standard and that's what I expect out of whatever phone I have.

Anyway, pretty excited to go back to the Pixel. Should arrive in just over a week.

Welcome back I also tried the whole note 8 experience awesome hardware but software Trump's it

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey you're back!! I remember you from the note forum. Ive shared the same experience you have.

On black Friday I went to purchase the Note 8. No, it was not replacing my current Pixel 2 XL. It was just going to be used as an additional device. Anyway, I'm tech nut and just wanted to try it out. It's an awesome device. The screen is what people say it is.... gorgeous! The form factor was great. All around it's a beautiful phone. But then after that wow factor wears off, in comes the user experience. I just couldn't do it. No matter how much I customize it, it just didn't feel right. It made me appreciate the Pixel and what Google does with Android alot more.

I ended up returning the Note and I'll stick to one phone. I've been a stock Android guy since ice cream sandwich. Google has spoiled me to the point that I just can't function another phone lol. The Pixel 2 XL is the best phone I've ever had and I'm team Pixel all the way. Glad you're back.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yep.. I'm kind of over Samsung software. I value updates so that will outweigh the features Samsung had. To be honest the only true Samsung feature I miss is Samsung Pay.

pego99

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Note 8 sucks can't make phone calls. Love the pixel with its painted finish and beautiful screen. Samsung makes terrible phones. The stylus is worthless and no one needs a phone jack and SD card slot. Pixel makes the best phones on the planet.

Carraser23

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Bit of backstory:

I tried, I just couldn't get myself to love the Note 8. I think the Pixel kind of has the iPhone effect on me. The device that I can't move away from now. Anything else I try to use just doesn't perform as consistently or feel good enough to use on a daily basis. The Note 8 is a beautiful device, but the user experience on the Pixel is something just so good that the Note 8 felt 'ugh' to use after a while. I keep hearing people say 'no lag', 'no lag' on the Note 8, but I definitely saw it. Frame drops on transitions and scrolling, slight pauses when going to your homescreen etc. I think I've been brainwashed or something because I didn't even find the Note 8 that impressive. It's like an attractive person you meet that happens to be extremely shallow. You try to get to know them, but try as you might, sooner or later you don't want to be with them anymore.

I missed the Pixel. Missed it's clean interface, the consistency in operating it, it never got stuck or hanged on anything, the camera is definitely better and I just found I could do what I wanted to do faster and with less waiting. Kind of hard to explain, but now that I've experienced that level of phone smoothness, that has become the standard and that's what I expect out of whatever phone I have. The Note 8 just didn't do it for me.

Anyway, pretty excited to go back to the Pixel. Should arrive in just over a week. Going with the black model as I prefer the textured feel of the black more than the smooth white finish. Plus I'm worried about it getting dirty over time.

Back on the Pixel train, baby.

Different phones are for different people.

Carraser23

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Note 8 sucks can't make phone calls. Love the pixel with its painted finish and beautiful screen. Samsung makes terrible phones. The stylus is worthless and no one needs a phone jack and SD card slot. Pixel makes the best phones on the planet.

Sucks that you personally had a bad experience with the Note 8. I think a lot of people like he S Pen and the convenience of a headphone jack instead of a flimsy dongle. And yes, nobody needs the option for more storage, what a silly concept.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sucks that you personally had a bad experience with the Note 8. I think a lot of people like he S Pen and the convenience of a headphone jack instead of a flimsy dongle. And yes, nobody needs the option for more storage, what a silly concept.
Well it isn't silly for some.. just like you said the convenience of a headphone jack.. for my personal situation I could say that's silly since I've had many phones in the past and it's been years since I've used it even once. So I see zero need for a headphone jack for my needs. Does that make your opinion a "silly concept" since I don't agree?

Eh.. you get it :).

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Well, as you said here:

Different phones are for different people.

I've moved to wireless headphones so no dongle for me. And I didn't use the pen much. I'd forget it was there then had to remind myself to use it, but didn't find many practical uses for my usage.

And while I can see sd card storage as being useful, I found unlimited photo & video storage at original quality much more appealing to me. Having to save images in Google Photos under the 'high quality' setting isn't as nice. And I don't plan on storing all these photos and videos on hard drives, I need them on the cloud. With the Pixel, being able to take as many photos and videos as I want and then just freeing up space on my phone I think is an excellent feature and for me, is much more desirable than an sd card slot.

As you said, different phones for different people. I've preferred using the Pixel and I'm ready to go back to it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, as you said here:

I've moved to wireless headphones so no dongle for me. And I didn't use the pen much. I'd forget it was there then had to remind myself to use it, but didn't find many practical uses for my usage.

And while I can see sd card storage as being useful, I found unlimited photo & video storage at original quality much more appealing to me. Having to save images in Google Photos under the 'high quality' setting isn't as nice. And I don't plan on storing all these photos and videos on hard drives, I need them on the cloud. With the Pixel, being able to take as many photos and videos as I want and then just freeing up space on my phone I think is an excellent feature and for me, is much more desirable than an sd card slot.

As you said, different phones for different people. I've preferred using the Pixel and I'm ready to go back to it.

128 is a lot of storage unless you have a truckload of FLAC or HiRes video files.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, the best running phone is almost always the current phone that Google has sent it into the world. The only outlier has been under Nexus 5X, but that was a sort of mid range offering. I've owned a Nexus 5, 6, 6P and my wife has an XL. I just got rid of my 6P and even though it was showing it's age, it was still more fluid than the G6 I had to toil through for a few months.

With the 2XL, everything is responsive... From screen transitions, to things like the double tap to quick switch... Touch response is incredible. Even something as simple as the keyboard is zippy. I can remember few, if any times where the phone feels like it's sucking wind.

Earlier today I was at a my daughter's play and quick launched the camera a few times... Poof.. there it was, ready to rock.

You use this phone enough and you start to get spoiled. My phone's been up for over 200 hours now and it runs as smooth as it did 5 minutes after it booted up. And I'm fairly certain that 12 months from now, it'll be just as snappy. There aren't many phones that are going to be able to match that.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Earlier today I was at a my daughter's play and quick launched the camera a few times... Poof.. there it was, ready to rock.

Yeah touch response is a big one for me. Just seemed like the Pixel reacted to stuff faster and when I'd start scrolling, it'd start scrolling immediately and fast depending on how far I'd scroll.

It's a shame because I quite like the hardware of the Note 8, bar the curved screen and fingerprint scanner location. It's a beautiful phone and if really like Google, with the 2,000 HTC designers/engineers, design something equally beautiful for next year's Pixel 3.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Out buying safety shoes and the best buy is pretty close. Thinking of going by and getting some time with the 2 XL and maybe sending the regular 2 back to Google

Kamori

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been an avid Samsung user since the galaxy S3, but thought I'd give the pixel 2 ab try due to an early upgrade, it's made me think very hard about ever going back to sanding, especially knowing the pixel gets the android updated near enough as soon as they are available