I did it - V20 traded in for a new G6

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I switched to the G6, I upgraded my wife and went to it myself, just to test it out because with Jump, why not? I figured that I have a rare opportunity that people don't really have so why not.. I can always switch back. But I wanted to say, if you like the DAC in the V20, you'll be very disappointed.. the G6 DAC doesn't even come close.

What's jump?

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh I thought that was Jump On Demand. I thought the original one only allowed you to upgrade once half the device is paid off which is the plan I have. I'm switching to Jump On Demand once I pay off my V20 though. Then I'll always have an excellent backup device and I can play with other devices with the new plan.
The one I have they nolonger do. I think you can only get the one where you pay half of the device now. They are always surprised I have the version of jump I have because they said it was only available for like 3 months. Haha

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Its probably the same music setup they had for the G5. Man was that terrible. It was like listening to a clock radio after having my V10. My earphone volume was up to 85-90% sometimes, whereas the V20 i'm usually at 35-40%.

I'm wondering if any imports will be coming in soon to the states unlocked (since some of those have the DAC).
I mean it's not terrible, but yeah.. It's actually noticeable hahah.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The one I have they nolonger do. I think you can only get the one where you pay half of the device now. They are always surprised I have the version of jump I have because they said it was only available for like 3 months. Haha
Dang. It was too good of a deal.

jmssarno

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Would love to hear some comparisons against the V20 once you get use to the G6...
The music (quality) on the G6 is no match for the V20 huh?
I have Jump as well but I'm not sure the G6 is worth it for me. I think I'm going to hold out and see what the V30 has to offer...
The second screen and DAC is what do it for me...
Keep us posted... Thanks!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I did it

After all the good smack posts about the V20, you bailed?! ;)

For media and web browsing/reading, the V20 seems the better option.

Replaceable battery.

Better display ratio for content, so no cropping or side black bars making content smaller. I cancelled my 8+ preorder for this reason. Video on the 8+ is noticeably smaller than the Note 4. Most video on the G6 looks tiny compared to the Note 4 and V20 even though same vertical length.

Minor SOC jump.

Half the internal storage (adaptive storage is problematic at best).

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Would love to hear some comparisons against the V20 once you get use to the G6...
The music (quality) on the G6 is no match for the V20 huh?
I have Jump as well but I'm not sure the G6 is worth it for me. I think I'm going to hold out and see what the V30 has to offer...
The second screen and DAC is what do it for me...
Keep us posted... Thanks!
I actually admired my wife's always on display on her G5 and it's pretty nifty.. I know I'll miss getting calls from up there though.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
After all the good smack posts about the V20, you bailed?! ;)

For media and web browsing/reading, the V20 seems the better option.

Replaceable battery.

Better display ratio for content, so no cropping or side black bars making content smaller. I cancelled my 8+ preorder for this reason. Video on the 8+ is noticeably smaller than the Note 4. Most video on the G6 looks tiny compared to the Note 4 and V20 even though same vertical length.

Minor SOC jump.

Half the internal storage (adaptive storage is problematic at best).
Yeah.. I know, hahaha but keep in mind I love the V20, and will probably cop another one. I love that the price is dropping.. I paid it down to basically the price of the G6, so I killed two birds with one stone with upgrading my wife..

So far, I don't know which build quality I like better. I've had it naked all weekend, it's heavier than the V20.

I haven't used it enough yet to hate the black bars. But so far the battery life seems to be better.. Having a 13 mp wide angle camera is dope though...

Viewing angles in the sun is better on the G6

mandoman28

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Its probably the same music setup they had for the G5. Man was that terrible. It was like listening to a clock radio after having my V10. My earphone volume was up to 85-90% sometimes, whereas the V20 i'm usually at 35-40%.

I'm wondering if any imports will be coming in soon to the states unlocked (since some of those have the DAC).

The sound quality on the G5 is terrible, sound volume is way low! You get used to the DAC real quick!

md308

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Let us know what you think about the camera when you get a chance to test it. Not planning on switching myself, but a lot of promising things about the G6 that has me excited on what the V30 will be like!

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
He's just going through upgrade withdrawal.... He will be OK eventually.
Hahah..

I'm a little bit of an LG fan boy.. I passed on the G5 but my wife had it, had the V10 and V20 obviously..

Went to the V10 when my G4 bootlooped.

But rest assured, I will most likely get the V30 hahah