I got my phones back fixed. will it still be able to handle water ?

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Why is that your saying it wasn't designed to work like that?? What's making you say that?? Have you seen the commercials? Have you seen the youtube videos? Have you seen that It has been proven?

posted from my galaxy s7edge

Have you tried it in water since?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why is that your saying it wasn't designed to work like that?? What's making you say that?? Have you seen the commercials? Have you seen the youtube videos? Have you seen that It has been proven?

Commercials don't always tell the story. If every commercial was real.. Man life would be crazy.

You always have to read the fine print. Anything in life.. Ignore the big advertising.. Always read the fine print. There it HAS to tell the 100% truth.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if you are new to this but you can have the phone in five feet of water for 30 min.
The phone is IP67 - the 6 is Totally protected against dust, the 7 is Protected against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1m. Nothing about five fewet in the specs. IP68 would be Protected against long periods of immersion under pressure. Putting the phone into water creates a pressure differential AND absolute pressure - it's not really meant to be immersed, except in emergency (if you get lucky) and it's CERTAINLY not meant to swim with. - your forward motion through the water will exceed the pressure rating. Waterproof phones would have a water damage warranty. The S7 doesn't. (Some Nextels did - they were the only civilian phones that ever had.)

milimbar

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The phone relies on the surface tension of water to prevent water from entering the speaker and microphone ports.
Any movement while the phone is under water will force the water into those openings as there is no seal there.
Any additive that could change the surface tension of the water (like soap) will allow the water to flow into those openings.

So yes the phone can withstand water immersion, however under very strict conditions.

In your case, the repair person would have had to cut at least one seal or gasket which will leave another point of entry for liquids.
The repair part from samsung does not come with a replacement gasket so I am 99% sure that he reused the cut gasket back on the phone.
You also said that they used a lesser quality adhesive, that alone would cause less resistance to water intrusion.

I would not think that your phone is near as water resistant as it originally was.
You may get lucky and it could survive a dunking in water (quite a few non water resistant phones can) however I would not chance it if I were you.

DALJicious

May 15, 2016
Visit site
This is such an entertaining thread. The phone has commercials marketing it as water resistant but everyone is telling you (Samuel) not to use the phone that way, as it's an "oops" feature.
New car commercials show cars auto-braking to avoid an accident even if your foot isn't on the brake pedal...I wonder if you drive around town without using the brake pedal too.

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This is such an entertaining thread. The phone has commercials marketing it as waterproof and water resistant but everyone is telling you not to use the phone that way, as it's an "oops" feature.
New car commercials show cars auto-braking to avoid an accident even if your foot isn't on the brake pedal...I wonder if you drive around town with you would drive without using the brake pedal too.

The last few commercials I saw showed the phone having liquid accidentally spilled on it and also being accidentally dropped in a fish tank. They would never show someone taking it into a swimming pool because it's not intended for that purpose.

Samsung would never warranty the phone with water damage.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
No way would I use my phone in a pool. Not only is the surface tension of warm/hot water a lot lower than cold water, the chemicals will degrade the seals. It might not get you the first few times but at some point it will. Then people will be lining up saying I only used it in a couple of feet of water.

bigphlp

May 15, 2016
Visit site
If your device was not repaired by the Samsung repair center in Plano Texas, the device definitely has a voided warranty. Only Samsung repairs at that repair center will return that s7 to its original IP rating.

Posted via the Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
This is such an entertaining thread. The phone has commercials marketing it as waterproof and water resistant but everyone is telling you not to use the phone that way, as it's an "oops" feature.
New car commercials show cars auto-braking to avoid an accident even if your foot isn't on the brake pedal...I wonder if you drive around town without using the brake pedal too.

There has not been, and never will be, a Samsung commercial calling the phone waterproof. If you think there is, find it and prove it.

DALJicious

May 15, 2016
Visit site
you're completely right, it isn't marketed as waterproof (i will edit that). my comment was just to point out the humour i found in samuel kennedy's responses to other forum users. i agree with everyone but samuel.

Asfalloth

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: seal was broken. trying to reseal it for Water resistance.

Hey so I just had my phone fixed and they used very poor adhesive. There is a place that can use better adhesive. But I was looking at parts for the phone if maybe this part would be something that I would need.

The ports are all factory sealed but the sides are not very sealed.

Is they're a part to gauretee to re evaluate the phone in its 1p68 water resistance? I don't wanna buy a case for it

I like using my phone in water sometimes. Can someone help point me in the right direction ??

Just looking for a part. I don't have a Warranty and I don't have insurance.

With the greatest respect possible in this scenario, buy a real underwater camera. Stop trying to use a mobile phone for these types of shots. Think of an galaxy s7 as a phone that can survive a rain shower conversation. No more. If you need/would like any pointers please do ask.

DropFixed

May 15, 2016
Visit site
As a repair brand that actually cares about customers and their devices, NO, do not assume that your phone is the same water resistance as prior to the repair/damaged back. Any repair for that matter. Even the best technician cannot, honestly, guarantee the device to be water resistant again because there is absolutely no way to tell how sealed or healthy the seal is on the back of the device.

Any technician or shop that tells you otherwise just wants your money, and could care less about what happens to your device after it leaves their hands.

anon(386684)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
^^ Agreed with that dude. I used to do phone professional phone repair for a living, arguably the best technician in town, but I would still tell people there is no guarantee that their phone would be water-resistant after replacing any parts, even on something like a Casio GzOne Commando that has rubber gaskets everywhere.

But to be fair to the original poster, you shouldn't just think of your phone (before you break it) as a phone that can survive in the rain, since Samsung advertises it as being able to be completely submerged in a fish tank or have champagne poured all over it. You should be able to keep it submerged under 1 meter of water, for 30 minutes (again, before you break it), because Samsung guarantees that you can.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot_20160514-211304.jpg

I'm on the S6 Active and the warranty language is the same for the S6, S6 Edge. The Samsung warranty is voided by water damage. OK, I get that this device, like the S7 and S7 Edge is water RESISTANT, but why on Earth would they encourage something like this? It's like ,"Oh cool, my camera can take underwater shots and I can use the physical buttons to do so." "But wait, the phone isn't water-proof so how is this supposed to work?"

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Some people are gullible enough to believe every little thing a commercial tells you. Just because Lil Wayne pours champagne over his phone doesn't mean I'm going to. Just because he puts his phone in the fish tank doesn't mean I'm going to. I know the true value of my phone and I am not going to risk damaging my phone for the sole purpose of putting it under water just because it can. I work very hard for my money and I can't afford to fix it if something were to go wrong so I'm not taking any chances. People should just be very careful with putting any water resistant device under water. There is always a limit and it always depends on the clarity of the water and the amount of flow produced by the water which will damage your water resistant phone.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Some people are gullible enough to believe every little thing a commercial tells you. Just because Lil Wayne pours champagne over his phone doesn't mean I'm going to. Just because he puts his phone in the fish tank doesn't mean I'm going to. I know the true value of my phone and I am not going to risk damaging my phone for the sole purpose of putting it under water just because it can. I work very hard for my money and I can't afford to fix it if something were to go wrong so I'm not taking any chances. People should just be very careful with putting any water resistant device under water. There is always a limit and it always depends on the clarity of the water and the amount of flow produced by the water which will damage your water resistant phone.

On the contrary Iva, I don't think its unreasonable for any of us to believe the devices are capable of withstanding those conditions during ownership. I also work hard for my money and would not intentionally abuse my phone (or subject it to conditions outside of those specified/advertised). I feel bad for those who have had "accidents" in which their device fell into water and are having issues...only to find out that those issues are not covered by the manufacturer. Samsung knew long ago that there is no way to determine if a phone experiences an accidental or intentional dunk. But they decided to design their device(s) to withstand a certain condition in which it did go under water. That's what the commercial advertises as a key feature. For me, (and I'm sure many others) it's Samsung saying, "Hey look, our devices can do this." And for them to include the IP68 certification jargon, is just further assurance that it can do what they say it can do. Samsung would have been better off not using these water resistant features in commercials and just let everyone treat it like a non-water resistant device.

If a sports car was advertised with a top speed of 160mph and 0-60 in 5 seconds, don't you think it should do so? Of course not everyone would drive it that way, but when it was tested by the public and the top speed was 120 and 0-60 in 7.5 seconds, would you feel misled?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Seems like we all could find some common ground here. Just because a device can be dunked in water, doesn't mean it's the absolute smartest thing to test it out just because. At the same time, it ought to be able to withstand it considering Samsung boasts about the device being water proof at every turn. As a consumer, we'd have much better products if we demanded that our devices actually perform the way they're advertised instead of making excuses for the billion dollar companies who mislead the public.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had my S7E for two weeks, and the one of the selling points to me was the water resistance feature. this does not mean I'm going to take/make phone calls while I'm in the shower. this does not mean I'm going to pretend to be lil wayne and pour ANYTHING on my phone on purpose. this feature is for those accidental drops into a kitchen sink of dish water, or getting caught out in a serious rain shower. even though there are a metric TON of youtube videos out there showing phones in water for hours, WHY would anyone want to take a chance on the slight chance of ruining your device? I work two jobs, am not made of money, and won't be doing my best lil wayne impression with this device, EVER.

Since9600

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha I would totally take this phone to a water park for some awesome videos lol, if it didn't have a glass back...My Gear S NEVER left my wrist from launch till recently, except to charge.. Showers, pools, hot tubs, water slides, took it like a champ. Never a problem ( I just had to disable the wrist gesture to avoid the water on screen calling people lol). Now, I have the Gear S2 Classic (3G version of course) and do the same thing, after I replaced the leather with a silicone strap... I totally answer calls in the shower from my watch.