I hate this phone :(

bluevolume

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry that you feel this way. I understand being frustrated with the phone. I read over these forums for 2 months before I was ready to root, now, I can't be happier.

I'm a little taken aback that you have lashed out at the mods and the developers who have taken the time to help us all out. I am very grateful for all the work they have done.

Everyone has expectations of thier phones, we just need to learn how to use them to thier full potential, thats where these guys come in.

Again, please don't bash the mods or devs.....the spend long hard hours helping us out, and walking us thru the "how tos" I know myself and many many other people on the forums appreciate every thing they do.

Please read my post again. I'm not sure how you missed my sarcasm.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
My bad! I should know to include (s)he around here, haha.

As for the issues you're having, they're all issues I've heard of. Although rare, busted speakers, vibration and all that have all been things I've seen here reported on the forums. It doesn't happen often, but for some reason, they've all happened to you (what are the odds). I have no hard time believing it.

With that being said, I can only tell you that our guides to rooting/flashing have come a long way since you first probably tried it, and we'll be here to help you through the process if you need it. I won't pressure you to do something you're not comfortable with, but it helps to know that the help is there. :)
I had flashed Superclean back in November, but yesterday I flashed EB01 Deodexed with the Superdark theme and wow. Phone is lightening now. I was so frustrated with it becoming laggy and blah that I wasn't going to ever flash anything else. Glad I changed my mind. Is Froyo ever actually coming to our version of the Galaxy S? Either way, I am forever grateful for the devs who got us Froyo ROMs.

if there is something floating around inside your phone I'd take it back for a new one.

tbh, it's hard for me to recommend this phone to anyone. I love it, but I know on stock, it's not such a great phone. You have to root and debloat or flash a custom ROM to make this phone great, which is sad...
I think it's just the volume rocker, but it's annoying!

Exactly. It sucks on stock. I had it for almost 2 months on stock before I rooted. How I survived with all of the bloatware, I don't know!

Now that I think about it, it reminds me of when I used to play guitar in highschool. I spent I think $1200 (at the time a LOT of money for a highschool kid) on a nice new high-end guitar, and over the course of a year, I had to have it replaced 3 times because the neck kept cracking. And like you, I babied the thing. So yea, it happens!

I don't even bother rooting anymore. When we received my wife's, I never even booted the phone up. Started it right in download mode, fired up Odin and flashed the EB01 modem and the new Clockwork recovery. Put a pre-rooted Clockwork backup on the SD card and flashed it straight away.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy :p
Haha, nice!

No way this the best phone. I replaced my zune and cowon players with this phone. Tell you what for 50$ I will take it off your hands.

Sent from a Verizon Fascinate running sonofskywalker3 with go launcher ex.
$50? lol thanks but no.

Besides packerbacker it sort of feels like family here on the Fascinate forums with you and gunnermike, Corey, Chris, Sheepdog and all of the rest of us... we'd miss ya if ya weren't around here w/us ;-P
Thanks, I'm glad I'm welcome. (Ps, I've been on these forums for a long time.)

Good to see Packerbacker on the forums again. I think you'll be happier with the phone running one of the custom roms.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Thanks! Nice to see this post after the one above it. School has kept me so busy, but I need to come back on these forums regularly again. (Most of) you guys are great. :)

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, I feel that the ENTIRE Galaxy S line will never meet it's full potential, at least not running stock software. I used to defend Touchwiz to no end, but I've come to realize that there are some serious issues in the backend of TW that cause for a lot of software issues on the front. I still don't think it's ugly, at least not aesthetically, but God does it have issues under the hood.

In terms of Froyo, it's out officially on the Epic (although it got pulled) and Captivate, and has also been out for a while on the international i9000 Galaxy S. It's definitely coming, it's just taking its sweet time.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
As a Packer fan in Minneapolis, I love your profile picture. I know I'm a lot happier running SuperClean and using ADWLauncher on my phone. The last Froyo leak (EB01) hasn't been stellar even with the work the devs have done to clean it up but SuperClean on the previous Froyo leak was very good. With how easy it is to make your phone get back to stock, there should be no worries about bricking this phone.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I feel that the ENTIRE Galaxy S line will never meet it's full potential, at least not running stock software.
Agreed. I'm a fan of sense, myself. So I'll probably be getting an HTC when I upgrade.

As a Packer fan in Minneapolis, I love your profile picture.
Major thumbs up! I was a Packer fan in Minneapolis once myself - I went to the U of M.

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with my Fascinate, but then I just got it a few weeks ago. Maybe I don't know how much BETTER it could be if I rooted it. My fear about trying to root it is what if something goes wrong? I'd hate to mess up something I was happy with (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). If I follow the rooting instructions here on the forum is there a way to back everything up first so that if I somehow screw it up I can get it back to normal? I'm tempted to root it but a little nervous about ruining my phone.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
it is very hard to permanently brick your phone , usually people who get in a position that they cant fix it , it is because of the computer and not the ability to fix it....like connection problems, jumping on a different computer allows you to fix it........without rooting there is no way to really make a snapshot of your phone, you can use my backup pro paid version which allows you to back up the phone but besides that you need root...you can follow the rooting thread or you can use odin to flash froyo and gain root and froyo at the same time...

but on the other hand, like you said if you are happy then why change

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...ged-roms-w-root-clockwork-updated-2-27-a.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...659-guide-all-about-rooting-faqs-how-tos.html

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I just took the plunge and added the 2.6 version. It was easy (I followed the directions). So I'm assuming I need to re-download any apps I had previously? I'm trying to slog through the 100+ pages of posts from the How to Root thread but I'm guessing the answer is there.

Of course, I'd finally had my phone set up how I liked it and now I have to do it all over again. But really that's no big thing since now I'll have fun learning what I can now do that I couldn't before! :)

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy with my Fascinate, but then I just got it a few weeks ago. Maybe I don't know how much BETTER it could be if I rooted it. My fear about trying to root it is what if something goes wrong? I'd hate to mess up something I was happy with (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). If I follow the rooting instructions here on the forum is there a way to back everything up first so that if I somehow screw it up I can get it back to normal? I'm tempted to root it but a little nervous about ruining my phone.
DEFINITELY ROOT IT. I was scared, too, for about two months after I got the phone. I was scared to initially do it, but with the Fascinate it's not hard at all, and it literally becomes an entirely different phone. :cool:

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I just took the plunge and added the 2.6 version. It was easy (I followed the directions). So I'm assuming I need to re-download any apps I had previously? I'm trying to slog through the 100+ pages of posts from the How to Root thread but I'm guessing the answer is there.

Of course, I'd finally had my phone set up how I liked it and now I have to do it all over again. But really that's no big thing since now I'll have fun learning what I can now do that I couldn't before! :)

That's the spirit!

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. It's done and I'm getting to know it all over again. For example, I previously had AVG set to display a "please contact if lost" message on the lock screen with the dots. I tried to set it up that way again but the rooted phone does not show that message when I set it to unlock with a PIN. I'd like to be able to offer honest people a way to contact me if I lose my phone and if it's locked that's the only way I know of (short of putting a sticker on it with my contact info - lame!). Any ideas on how to work that out?

I must admit, that while I am new to Android, I'm not new to playing around with Windows computers so the fear I had stemmed from "playing with" computers and occasionally screwing them up when I should have left well enough alone. Not that anyone else has ever done that before... ;) The good news is I've always been able to fix what I did with the help of Google searching and long hours at the PC.

Fortunately, the instructions provided here on this board were very clear and simple. The only Verizon software on it now (that I am aware of) is the app to view/control my DVR at home, which is a nice app to have. Free of bloatware!

Eddog4DROID

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I do not hate this phone at all. I bought it used off ebay as a stop gap between my DROID and some Dual Core beast. I have decided I am most likely keeping the Fascinate through at least the first round of Dual Core phones. IF IF IF you aren't afraid of getting your hands dirty, then this phone is top notch. I can live without the plasticky feel, and it was annoying that I had to seriously tweak it (Root, ROM, Voodoo) to make it this nice. I just realize that now that I have it like this, it is worth waiting for a phone that I will NOT have to tweak this much.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Well no of course I'm not getting rid of this phone, especially over something so stupid. It just bugs me.

I love how people are talking to me like I'm a child. Believe me- I take good care of my phones. I barely had any apps on it and I didn't even attempt to root any of my Motorolas. The people at the store said every time it was a hardware defect that was never my fault. THey got sick of giving me new ones, but they knew I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Sorry I felt the need to vent. Really. I never should have posted.

Agreed.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I do not hate this phone at all. I bought it used off ebay as a stop gap between my DROID and some Dual Core beast. I have decided I am most likely keeping the Fascinate through at least the first round of Dual Core phones. IF IF IF you aren't afraid of getting your hands dirty, then this phone is top notch. I can live without the plasticky feel, and it was annoying that I had to seriously tweak it (Root, ROM, Voodoo) to make it this nice. I just realize that now that I have it like this, it is worth waiting for a phone that I will NOT have to tweak this much.

Agreed. But my upgrade is in Nov and I'll be getting a new Android something or other then.