I have 15 days to exchange my S4 for an HTC One

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have and use both. The S4 is my daily driver because of its superior ergonomics and it is far better at notifications than the one. As stated above the S4 has the better LED, it has smart wake to check notifications at a glance, dedicated home button to wake phone and the notification tray can be accessed in landscape mode when playing games etc. maybe this is important to OP or not. Also the Ones screen while bright and sharp seems washed out when comparing the same images to the S4. Not to mention the S4 is easier to see in bright sun because its less reflective.

The One is definitely a bit smoother, has great speaker sound, great and I mean great camera features and interface.

I enjoy them both for different reasons.

I own both also I agree with a bunch you said besides the one is the better daily driver for me but there is no way the s4 screen is easier to see in the sun than the ones

sent from my favorite phone of the year HTC one, don't mean it has to be yours

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Keep the s4. I wouldn't encourage anyone to get the one, until HTC fix the unresponsive home and back buttons.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Those were fixed by updates like two weeks ago I use mine with a spigen glasst. Slim screen and no problems now I am still waiting for updates to fix the lag on my s4 I've had them both since release and had two updates on my one and zero on my s4 both good phones but don't tell the op stuff that's not right

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Sorry that update was on tmobile but since that they have been super responsive

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm probably the minority here but I switched from a HTC One to a Galaxy S4 and I prefer the S4. I love the One but after playing with the S4 I found that it fits better in the hand, the notifications were better, camera was better although HTC One does better night shots sometimes, for some reason Facebook app works better on the S4, speakers are about the same surprisingly. The HTC One doesn't play some video formats like the S4 can for some reason. And finally I hate Blink Feed. I have used flip board since it first came out so when I tried the One Blink feed just sucked compared to what I was use to and there was no way to remove it off the home screen. That said I do miss the Design of the HTC One. That was a beautiful phone. Even the UI was pretty. Make your own judgment though. Try both

Posted via Android Central App

craigrn16

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh I forgot to mention battery life. The HTC One battery sucked compared to the S4 which also helped in my decision. At least the One I had.

AMG_Roadster

May 19, 2013
Visit site
You're only allowed one exchange. From there he would have to sell the phone and hope he gets enough to buy the other up front.
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Only allowed one exchange by who? Costco gives you 90 days to return/exchange a phone. Now I have not dug into the details so it could be that they give you 90 days but there is a smaller window that carrier allows for you to still be eligible for an upgrade price. I am still debating between the HTC One and the S4 (currently have the One). I would really like to take the best of both phones and combine them.

My decision may have been made for me :) I think the HTC One is a great phone and would not be upset with the phone but there are some things from the S4 I would like to have.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have the S4 and am considering the HTC One, mostly for the max internal storage for the apps I carry and use daily plus the FFS and stereo sound are awesome. The GS4 is tough to see in the direct sunlight at times and that does bother me.

As for JB4.1.2 vs 4.2.2 with the Google Edition why can't we just go pure Android and forget HTC Sense altogether, honestly I wish the Google Edition was available in 64GB but its not.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
If there's things you don't like with the S4 that would be taken care of on the One without sacrificing things you like on the S4 for the One, it may be worth the exchange. It really comes down to what you value in a phone and which one best meets that. The grass is always going to seem greener on the other side if you're not content, so it's really gotta come down to something you can enjoy or at least live with comfortably until your next upgrade.

I personally got annoyed with my Optimus S camera's low light performance a lot, and I'm looking forwards to a camera that can handle lighting conditions I want to take photos in. If you want to print out photos and give them to people, you may value the S4's megapixels more than the One's low light performance. I've been stuck on gingerbread for a while, so any form of jellybean is a'ight with me. If HTC does better than LG did for updates, I'm happy, but even if they don't, I think I can read directions and root this phone. The Optimus S had an SD card to flash roms from, so it's gonna be a different process, and I'm a rooting n00b still, so I'll definitely fly stock for a while. If you have to have the latest and greatest android updates, Samsung may be a better bet--or developer editions of either phone. If you don't like touchwiz, perhaps looking into rooting options for the S4 may be what makes the user experience just right for you. Or, you may really like samsung's features. I personally don't see myself using the hand waving stuff or the eye technology but if it works for you, you may find yourself missing those features on the One.

It's all about what you'll value and enjoy, and while I think reading people's advice and experiences in this thread can help, it really all comes down to your experiences with the phones. I hope you enjoy whichever phone you decide on!

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but you're wife's S3 will never have a nicer screen or boom sound, etc. no software upgrade can fix that. Something to keep in perspective.

Really? That certainly has not been the opinion of most tech site reviews (except one) nor what I saw in a video comparison, nor what some other users here have experienced. Interesting. I wonder if there is something wrong with your One and that it's not going as bright as it should?

Dont confuse brightness with readability. The one is brighter but suffers from too much glare. With polarized lenses on the s4 is easier to see outside.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Dont confuse brightness with readability. The one is brighter but suffers from too much glare. With polarized lenses on the s4 is easier to see outside.

Okay, maybe it's that reviewers do a comparison of the screen, but don't do comparisons WITH SUNGLASSES on...maybe that's the difference.

toolworker

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I wish the OP would post the same question in the S4 forum. :)

No, seriously, I've been wondering the same thing since I just got an S4 at Costco. Seems like the voting here is for the HTC One but with a minority for the S4, and I wonder what the tally would be in the S4 forum.

I can't compare with the HTC One, but FWIW here's my likes and annoyances for the S$:

I like:

• Battery life
  • Voice control
  • Bottom row of home screen icons appears on all screens (but should allow 1x1 widgets too)
  • Keyboard word suggestions with Swype hugely better than previous phone

I don't like:

• Charger port on the bottom so I can't plug it in while it's in the leather case I got from Costco (but I cut a hole)
  • Combined on and home button - too easy to press accidentally, and weird to have totally different feel for back and home buttons.
  • Off button opposite the volume control - too easy to press them both.
  • Pulldown from the top doesn't have the most recent apps used (as on my old HTC) - more useful than the settings
  • Size and shape - a little too wide and flat for my palm and slippery (but I'm getting used to it)
  • Screen too sensitive to motion - taps get misread as swipes.

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
You're only allowed one exchange. From there he would have to sell the phone and hope he gets enough to buy the other up front.

OP, have you used the one in person? If not, I suggest going in store and getting some hands on with it. Remember, it doesn't matter what everyone else says about the phone. It's what functions best suit your needs. Kind of sounds to me like the s4 suits your needs, but everyone else opinions are swaying you to reconsider.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

No I haven't gotten a chance to play with an HTC One. And you might be right about the S4 already suiting my needs. I seem to be relying on some of those "gimmicky" features such as quick glance and air view. I might stick with this one. thanks!

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Before I even got my S4, I was at extreme odds at which phone I would use my upgrade on. I spent hours researching and comparing. I am loving everything about the S4, but something tells me I missing out on something with the HTC One for some reason. Everybody is saying that it's the best Android out right now, and nobody is really saying that about the Galaxy S4. I love my S4 and it's awesome, but the HTC One is just so beautiful, and the speakers are a huge selling point as well. How are you guys liking the HTC One and should I consider swapping?

Do it to X change the s4 for a One.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid