I have a G4, you have questions — ask away!

dan30

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Is this phone able to withstand an impact or drop? I was considering the Z3 but changed my mind as apparently the screen cracks very easily.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is this phone able to withstand an impact or drop? I was considering the Z3 but changed my mind as apparently the screen cracks very easily.

If that's a concern, I'd suggest looking at the LG V10. It's built to handle small drops. The G4 isn't built as rugged, but there are some cases available that protect it pretty well. I work in a harsh environment for phones and mine has held up well in a Unicorn Beetle case.

ArtNap1

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
HELP....my LG G4 stopped saving my photo edits using Gallery. I can't find a solution anywhere. Very frustrating. Can anyone help me.

Last edited by a moderator:

monica davis

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
What does a grey triangle with an exclamation point in it mean ...when it's by a text message from u tube(a song) did it not go thru? Or did the recipient turn their phone off???
It said it was sent and delivered
Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
What does a grey triangle with an exclamation point in it mean ...when it's by a text message from u tube(a song) did it not go thru? Or did the recipient turn their phone off???
It said it was sent and delivered
Posted via the Android Central App

* * It means your text was not sent successfully, maybe due to the network. I`d try to send it again and then try wifi if not

alm062

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I presume I have a G4 b/c my cell says LG 4G LEON - hope it's the same as G4.
I have a few operator questions as this is my 1st smart phone.
Why do my contacts have diff. coloured symbols - do they each mean something different?
A lot of my contacts aren't able to be edited. Not sure what happened - the guy in the shop put my sim in with all my old contacts , then he may have also bluetoothed them in. I have duplicates on most names - one with the sim symbol over the circle image, then one without. I can edit the ones from the sim but not the others. My address seems a bit of a mess. I woud like to just keep the one with the whats app info but that one can't be edited at all. I have delete, share, join, export options but no edit.

No doubt i'll have other questions but this is a start.

TheChosenDoge

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
I presume I have a G4 b/c my cell says LG 4G LEON - hope it's the same as G4.
I have a few operator questions as this is my 1st smart phone.
Why do my contacts have diff. coloured symbols - do they each mean something different?
A lot of my contacts aren't able to be edited. Not sure what happened - the guy in the shop put my sim in with all my old contacts , then he may have also bluetoothed them in. I have duplicates on most names - one with the sim symbol over the circle image, then one without. I can edit the ones from the sim but not the others. My address seems a bit of a mess. I woud like to just keep the one with the whats app info but that one can't be edited at all. I have delete, share, join, export options but no edit.

No doubt i'll have other questions but this is a start.

LG 4G Leon is a model of LG smartphone but it isn't the G4

How many contacts do you have? It may be best to start completely over and just re-add manually so that everything works right

Sometimes the employees in shops make the problem worse rather then better as I have a feeling this was a MetroPCS purchase

Every shop is different

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
My digitizer on my Samsung Galaxy s4 is messed up. It's still usable, but generally a much less pleasant experience than before it got messed up. It's going on 2.5 years of usage, so I'm fine with getting a replacement and relegating the gs4 into "backup phone" status. At $305 off contract for a new one, the LG G4 seems to be a suitable replacement considering my budget of <$300

1) hardware defect review on Amazon
LG have admitted that any LG G4's manufactured before September have a hardware defect causing them to go into a bootloop and die. This just happened to me and many users are reporting this as well. THERE IS NO FIX. IT IS A HARDWARE PROBLEM. LG have been doing returns and exchanges. Because this is a third party seller they will NOT help you. DO NOT BUY.
1 negative review like this isn't enough of a pattern to be turned off. However, I would still like to get any info you have on this.

2) transfer apps AND save data from a Samsung Galaxy s4 (Android 4.4.4)
I'd like to transfer not only the apps on my current, Samsung Galaxy s4, but also the save data. For example, if I was 50% of the way through a game, I can pick off where I left off on this phone. I heard Titanium Pro was one app, but was wondering if you had any you'd like to suggest

3) quick charging cable?
This is where it charges "exponentially quicker" when coming from low battery level? For example, it takes an hour to go from 10% to 60% battery. Another hour to go from 60% to 90%. And the up to an hour more from there to full.
Without quick charging, the rate of charging would be linear (such as 15% per hour)

3a) does it have this option?
3b) Does this comes with one?
I've heard it doesn't, but again, wanted to hear from somebody whose purchased the phone.

4) home touch buttons.... if the digitizer gets "messed up", I take it these will also be aversely affected?
On my 'messed up' gs4 digitizer, the hard, capacitive back and menu buttons seem to work fine. Tapping on stuff at the bottom of the screen....hit or miss

5) Is there a list of Android home touch buttons somewhere?
I saw my bro-in-law use it on his phone, and would like to see what choices are out there.

I hope not. I don't want the phone to break. Then he wouldn't be able to answer any other questions.
Ohh... that drop test! I was thinking it's where you see if you can transfer a file/data from one device to another. As in "dropping a file". Yeah, that's a tall order to complete!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My digitizer on my Samsung Galaxy s4 is messed up. It's still usable, but generally a much less pleasant experience than before it got messed up. It's going on 2.5 years of usage, so I'm fine with getting a replacement and relegating the gs4 into "backup phone" status. At $305 off contract for a new one, the LG G4 seems to be a suitable replacement considering my budget of <$300

1) hardware defect review on Amazon

1 negative review like this isn't enough of a pattern to be turned off. However, I would still like to get any info you have on this.

Yes, the boot loop of death was a big issue on earlier batches. It's not as common on ones made after September 2015, but a few have been popping up here and there after the fact. Mine made in November, for example, suffered this fate.

2) transfer apps AND save data from a Samsung Galaxy s4 (Android 4.4.4)
I'd like to transfer not only the apps on my current, Samsung Galaxy s4, but also the save data. For example, if I was 50% of the way through a game, I can pick off where I left off on this phone. I heard Titanium Pro was one app, but was wondering if you had any you'd like to suggest

I'm pretty sure you need to be rooted for Titanium to work. Helium is another popular alternative, and works without root. You will need to tether to a computer to initiate the process, but it's not hard.

3) quick charging cable?
This is where it charges "exponentially quicker" when coming from low battery level? For example, it takes an hour to go from 10% to 60% battery. Another hour to go from 60% to 90%. And the up to an hour more from there to full.
Without quick charging, the rate of charging would be linear (such as 15% per hour)

3a) does it have this option?
3b) Does this comes with one?
I've heard it doesn't, but again, wanted to hear from somebody whose purchased the phone.
It's not so much the cable (some super cheap ones may not work with quick charging), but the charger itself needs to be Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 certified. All chargers charge Li-ion batteries in three stages that slow as the battery is filled, but QC2.0 uses higher voltages. The G4 is somewhat compatible. To see the best charge times, the screen needs to be off and try keeping the phone cool. It's sensitive to throttling the charge when warm.

The G4 only comes with a standard charger, but any charger labeled as QC2.0 certified will give you the faster charging speeds. Don't confuse this with chargers using generic terms like "fast charging" or "rapid charger."

4) home touch buttons.... if the digitizer gets "messed up", I take it these will also be aversely affected?
On my 'messed up' gs4 digitizer, the hard, capacitive back and menu buttons seem to work fine. Tapping on stuff at the bottom of the screen....hit or miss
I believe so. The buttons are part of the main screen, not independent.

5) Is there a list of Android home touch buttons somewhere?
I saw my bro-in-law use it on his phone, and would like to see what choices are out there.
Are you talking about the ability to change and rearrange the buttons at the bottom of the screen? The G4 can do that, letting you have up to five buttons on the bottom. The standard back, home, and recent apps. Plus one to pull down the notification bar (a life saver for one handed use), one for some quick access apps, and one for split screen multitasking.

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the boot loop of death was a big issue on earlier batches. It's not as common on ones made after September 2015, but a few have been popping up here and there after the fact. Mine made in November, for example, suffered this fate.
Wait, is it before or after Sept. 2015? Either way, any way to find out ahead of time (although it sounds like it can still happen even with the "good ones")?

Are you talking about the ability to change and rearrange the buttons at the bottom of the screen? The G4 can do that, letting you have up to five buttons on the bottom. The standard back, home, and recent apps. Plus one to pull down the notification bar (a life saver for one handed use), one for some quick access apps, and one for split screen multitasking.

Correct.

I also meant to ask... is there a way to add the menu button in there, like what we had back on Android 2.X (phones that came out around 2011, like the Galaxy s2 and s4)?
I'm aware that you can long press the task switcher button to mimic the menu button, but 1) this hasn't worked with all apps, 2) this may have changed over time, and 3) I'd like a dedicated menu button anyways.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Wait, is it before or after Sept. 2015? Either way, any way to find out ahead of time (although it sounds like it can still happen even with the "good ones")?

The ones made before September are the most common. There's a few threads about it floating around here

I also meant to ask... is there a way to add the menu button in there, like what we had back on Android 2.X (phones that came out around 2011, like the Galaxy s2 and s4)?
I'm aware that you can long press the task switcher button to mimic the menu button, but 1) this hasn't worked with all apps, 2) this may have changed over time, and 3) I'd like a dedicated menu button anyways.
I'm not aware of a way to bring it back.

mouse_23004

May 17, 2016
Visit site
My G4 just started with the firmware update stuck at zero crap. Id like to fix it because throwing this phone into a wall is very much against my interests. I like this damn thing and it has been a great companion for near a year now. If I cannot fix it soon, I will break it and turn it in on an insurance claim. If a fix is not availible, please let me know so I can put it out of its misery and get it replaced.

suwakeesh

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
I drained my LG G4 battery to zero and gave it to my dad for keep it with him until my exams were over. It has been about two months. Is it bad?

suwakeesh

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
My G4 just started with the firmware update stuck at zero crap. Id like to fix it because throwing this phone into a wall is very much against my interests. I like this damn thing and it has been a great companion for near a year now. If I cannot fix it soon, I will break it and turn it in on an insurance claim. If a fix is not availible, please let me know so I can put it out of its misery and get it replaced.
Why don't you use the button and power combination to reset the phone.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I drained my LG G4 battery to zero and gave it to my dad for keep it with him until my exams were over. It has been about two months. Is it bad?

Not for the phone, but it is bad for the battery. Li-ion batteries don't like being held at 0% (or full, for that matter). Being drained will cause accelerated degradation and capacity loss, especially if held there long term. I wouldn't be surprised if you've already caused significant capacity loss.

Batteries also self discharge over time. Even at 0% on the phone's meter, the battery still has some voltage in it. That can be 3.4-3.6V. If the battery is allowed to self discharge further, down to around 3.0V, then it will not even accept a charge. At this point it's pretty much just a paper weight.

The best thing to do if you plan to store the phone long term is to put it away at about half charge or a little over. Remember, being full hurts them too, so don't store it that way. These batteries like a happy medium, and is why they are shipped with only a partial charge. You should also check it every so often to make sure it doesn't dip below 20%, which is about where the accelerated degradation starts. If it's a healthy battery, you could go 6 months or more before needing a boost charge. Weak batteries could be much shorter.

suwakeesh

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
Not for the phone, but it is bad for the battery. Li-ion batteries don't like being held at 0% (or full, for that matter). Being drained will cause accelerated degradation and capacity loss, especially if held there long term. I wouldn't be surprised if you've already caused significant capacity loss.

Now since I didn't use my battery for 2 months and it was in zero, does the health of the battery decrease?

Batteries also self discharge over time. Even at 0% on the phone's meter, the battery still has some voltage in it. That can be 3.4-3.6V. If the battery is allowed to self discharge further, down to around 3.0V, then it will not even accept a charge. At this point it's pretty much just a paper weight.

The best thing to do if you plan to store the phone long term is to put it away at about half charge or a little over. Remember, being full hurts them too, so don't store it that way. These batteries like a happy medium, and is why they are shipped with only a partial charge. You should also check it every so often to make sure it doesn't dip below 20%, which is about where the accelerated degradation starts. If it's a healthy battery, you could go 6 months or more before needing a boost charge. Weak batteries could be much shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia