I have a G4, you have questions — ask away!

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Not for the phone, but it is bad for the battery. Li-ion batteries don't like being held at 0% (or full, for that matter). Being drained will cause accelerated degradation and capacity loss, especially if held there long term. I wouldn't be surprised if you've already caused significant capacity loss.

Batteries also self discharge over time. Even at 0% on the phone's meter, the battery still has some voltage in it. That can be 3.4-3.6V. If the battery is allowed to self discharge further, down to around 3.0V, then it will not even accept a charge. At this point it's pretty much just a paper weight.

The best thing to do if you plan to store the phone long term is to put it away at about half charge or a little over. Remember, being full hurts them too, so don't store it that way. These batteries like a happy medium, and is why they are shipped with only a partial charge. You should also check it every so often to make sure it doesn't dip below 20%, which is about where the accelerated degradation starts. If it's a healthy battery, you could go 6 months or more before needing a boost charge. Weak batteries could be much shorter.

So we should also avoid charging it overnight?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So we should also avoid charging it overnight?

I personally avoid it. I know many people will do it, but that is almost splitting hairs. I used to leave older phones plugged in almost all the time, even when full, just to always have it topped off. That killed the battery in less than 6 months. With the ability to swap batteries, it's not a huge deal to buy replacements. If it was something like my old M8 with a non, removable battery, I'd baby the heck out of it.

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I personally avoid it. I know many people will do it, but that is almost splitting hairs. I used to leave older phones plugged in almost all the time, even when full, just to always have it topped off. That killed the battery in less than 6 months. With the ability to swap batteries, it's not a huge deal to buy replacements. If it was something like my old M8 with a non, removable battery, I'd baby the heck out of it.

Yeah, I'd reckon overcharging it for 5 to 7 hours is worth the risk vs. starting off a full day of "road warrior" stuff at 50% battery.

BBLE

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Hey Lg G4 owners,
I’m currently thinking about buying a new smartphone but i don’t intend to spend more than 400$. What would you recommend? A last year flagship like the LG G4 for around 300 dollars or a budget smart phone like the ZTE Axon 7 (4 gb of RAM) for 409$ or oneplus 3 for 399$? Do you think the price diference is worth it?
Thanks

mfrey0118

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey Lg G4 owners,
I’m currently thinking about buying a new smartphone but i don’t intend to spend more than 400$. What would you recommend? A last year flagship like the LG G4 for around 300 dollars or a budget smart phone like the ZTE Axon 7 (4 gb of RAM) for 409$ or oneplus 3 for 399$? Do you think the price diference is worth it?
Thanks

Can't really comment on the other phones, but I've had my G4 for a bit now and I think it's a really good phone.

radenagung

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I have a LG G4 phone with SN starts with 511.
One day my LG G4 was stuck in bootloop. Fortunately, i was still in warranty period.
My LG G4's machine was changed in to a new one. However my casing still using the old one.
My question is, How do I know my new SN in my new machine ?
Please help.

Thank you

Crisdean

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

How's everyone with their LG G4? I might be offered a new phone since my phone has issues with Three's new 4G low frequency band. They'd offer me a G4 which is a cracking phone. Are you guys still happy with it?

Cheers,

Crisdean

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a problem with my lg g4, i can't turn on my phone because the phone is just keep restarting all the time. What should i do?
Time for a warranty claim. There's a few other, albeit big, threads about G4's boot looping or being stuck on boot. If you need to backup your data, there's a trick that may work, depending on how bad yours is.

Put it in the freezer for about 20 min. While it's still in there, try to turn it on. With any luck, it'll boot and run fine for you. If so, make your backups and reset the phone before you take it out of the freezer. The cold is what is keeping the defect from acting up, and has saved many G4's from data loss. Once backed up and ready, file your warranty claim with either your carrier or LG directly.

Note that the freezer trick is specific to a common G4 hardware defect. It won't prevent just any boot loop issue, and isn't always successful on the G4. From what I've seen here, it has about a 75-80% success rate.

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Just got a LG G4 and I need an online user manual I can download on PC..
Do they still make user manuals? Even soft copies? I've heard consumers had the habit of not bothering to read them, although I figure a large company like LG should still be able to divert resources to them.

ckshowtime

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I am really hoping this hasn't been asked and I somehow missed it in my search. I am currently unable to change the lock screen wallpaper. I am on Nova Launcher Prime, using the Cobalt Icon Pack. I have tried going through settings, I have tried long pressing the screen and choosing wallpaper. I never get the option for "both" and when I go to the lock screen wallpaper through settings it doesn't give Cobalt as an option, only Wallpaper Gallery and Gallery. Neither of which have Cobalt in them.

Any ideas?

Vinodhini P

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I bought a new LG G4 unlocked from Chicago. I've returned to native. It shows 'Sim card is not from verizon' all the time. Any suggestions to get rid of this?