I like touch wiz Damn it!!!!!

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Try this... Create a folder then create multiple contact icons for the home screen... Then drag and drop them in the folder... May be a work around..

Just tried it using the contact widget... It works

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
I did that for a couple of days, but the pictures are small and if I tried to include a custom order, it would not last. So I just bought APW.

Reactions: the1m.polo

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if my opinion is worth anything, but I've spent probably 15 minutes total using the S3 display models. All of my phones to date (EVO 3D, EVO 4G LTE) run Sense, so that's what I'm used to. I was able to navigate through the UI, change settings, etc pretty easily. I was pretty impressed, based on the user-input response, video clip previews, shortcuts to common feature settings and the useful info/icons on the notification bar. I only saw two things I didn't like:

1. Folder Creation. It is completely opposite from stock ICS.
2. The on-screen usable area. The screen is nicely sized, but lower row of icons combined with the screen navigation buttons(?), seems to take up too much space.

The only time I ever thought TouchWiz didn't impress me, was when I used it on the Galaxy Tablets. The performance lag was very noticeable and I felt the UI belonged on a phone and not a 10 inch tablet.
I didn't like #2 at first, but then I realized one good thing about it. It allows you to go any of the 7 screens in a one-step tap or slide process. In HTC Sense, this is a two-step process.

robotaholic

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
In the last year, somehow my TV, Tablet, Phone...everything are Samsung now and I've turned into a Samsung fan boy lol.

When you get a 5.3 inch screen and wacomm digitizer, you learn to deal with Touchwiz! lol

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
In the last year, somehow my TV, Tablet, Phone...everything are Samsung now and I've turned into a Samsung fan boy lol.

When you get a 5.3 inch screen and wacomm digitizer, you learn to deal with Touchwiz! lol
In the course of 7 months, not by design, I got a 55" Samsung SmartTV, Samsung Series 7 laptop, and this beautiful S3 phone. I already had a Samsung netbook. As I say, this was not by design, but in each case, this seemed like the best option on the market at the time.

Reactions: robotaholic

Cranky Bear

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm okay with it except for 2 issues:
1) I miss ICS's folder option of dragging icons onto each other. Having to create a generic folder first, then adding icons, sucks.
2) Something is causing my Touchwiz to crash every now and again. I have too many apps and it doesn't happen often enough for me to quickly isolate any rogue apps or if it's just a weak implementation of Touchwiz itself. If it does crash, I MUST reboot my phone.

Noob Cydroid

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Android Pro Widgets (APW) has a favorite contacts widget that is almost identical to the Sense widget, with one advantage: you can touch the Favorites and it opens up all your contacts. The HTC Sense widget had this at one point but lost it, at least it did on the ThunderBolt when it was upgraded to GB. I bought APW for this widget only; none of the other widgets were preferable to what I already use. I think it was about $2.50 for the version of APW where you can customize the organization of favorites. If you don't care about that, you can use the free version which lists the favorites alphabetically.

There is also a Favorites tab in the Contacts App that shows all your favorite contacts w pictures alphabetically arranged.
Coo, thanks for the tip!

I'm glad someone does because TouchWiz is repugnantly ugly to me: the layout, the icons, the color palette... I don't like anything about it. But you know, to each his own!
I will agree that TouchWiz, at the very least color wise, is pretty in-your-face. It even took me by surprise the first time I saw it. But I'm sure some out there love it for it. Plus, this is Android. We got options with 3rd party apps, widgets, and launchers to make it as much of our own thing as possible. Then we can just be like, "Got the phone cause it's got a big-ol screen and crazy awesome hardware with a good battery life." Hate to rag on them Apple fan-boys (not really, actually) but that's just something we got that you don't.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I love touchwiz and the added functionality it brings. I liked it so much I actually uninstalled the Cyangen 10 beta (jellybean) to get it back. I do run Apex Launcher for the customizations, but it lets me keep all my samsung touchwiz functionality as well. A perfect combo.

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Coming from Sense, Touchwiz originally seemed a step backwards in terms of professional look and usability. I spent the first week after getting the GS3 replacing the launcher and all of the main apps (calendar, contacts, mail) because TW looked so ugly.

I've had the phone now for almost 4 weeks and have to admit that TW is starting to grow on me. The colors are still bad. But I'm actually starting to see a method to Samsungs UI madness and even some things that are better than sense (ex: I really like that the contacts app has the alphabet on the right column so I can quickly jump around the list. This was much more touch and go on my DINC2. It's also much easier to edit a contacts notes in TW)

I've changed the font and font size a little. If Samsung would just let us change the colors, I think we'd have a really good interface. But even without that capability, TW is starting to grow on me.......

Reactions: the1m.polo

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Coming from a couple of droid phones I really like touchwiz. Some of the icons are kind of ugly, but the functionality is great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell