I prefer Samsung's launcher to Nova! How about you?

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I like it but with the Samsung one, the icons are so tiny..

I have this same problem. Samsungs icons are not adjustable and their screens don't use the full screen real​ estate for some reason. Also it's hard to read the date, time and weather. Plus I really miss Nova's gestures. I didn't realize how much I've come to use them.

Overall Nova still wins big time over TW for me. It's not even close.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have this same problem. Samsungs icons are not adjustable and their screens don't use the full screen real​ estate for some reason. Also it's hard to read the date, time and weather. Plus I really miss Nova's gestures. I didn't realize how much I've come to use them.

Overall Nova still wins big time over TW for me. It's not even close.
For me, I like the bigger icons and customization with Nova

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I have tried and tried but the gestures on Nova ( I have a lot of them set) makes me go back to it. The look of my actual Nova settings just simulates Samsung UI, just the same I did when I got the Pixel, but just like with the Pixel, I'm so used to these gestures that I just feel like when I was using the iPhone without them, incomplete.

This, exactly. I like the Pixel look, with Nova gestures. Samsungs offering is still too limited.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm still pretty new to android with the s7 edge being my first daily driver.

I used Touchwizz on that and have done the same on my s8.

I've certainly looked into launchers but haven't felt the need to be honest to use any.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm still pretty new to android with the s7 edge being my first daily driver.

I used Touchwizz on that and have done the same on my s8.

I've certainly looked into launchers but haven't felt the need to be honest to use any.

To me, using the stock Samsung launcher is nearly as bad as IOS. Very limited functionally​ and aesthetically.

I can't stress enough how much I HATE IOS lol. Using my wife's/mom's/in-laws/everyone I know's iPhone (except my brother who uses a Pixel) is so frustrating. It feels like you're inside a box or something with how restricted it feels compared to Android.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I was never a huge fan of launchers aside from Google Now. The stock Samsung launcher is slick on the S8 and I'm still using it.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
To me, using the stock Samsung launcher is nearly as bad as IOS. Very limited functionally​ and aesthetically.

I can't stress enough how much I HATE IOS lol. Using my wife's/mom's/in-laws/everyone I know's iPhone (except my brother who uses a Pixel) is so frustrating. It feels like you're inside a box or something with how restricted it feels compared to Android.

I've been an iPhone user since the iPhone 4 launch up to the iPhone 6 Plus. I decided not to go with the s iteration and awaited the iPhone 7 which motivated me to try Samsung and Android.

I'm sorry but I'm not in agreement with you in regards to your thoughts on iOS and Android.

The customisation on the phone with Android is off the chart for me.

Much better than Apples Sandboxed iOS and iPhones and I even jailbroke to unlock its true potential but doing that brought its own issues.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Really like this Touchwiz but don't like the folders view when open. I place 4 apps in a folder it opens the folder way to big and puts my apps way at the top. I use Action Launcher and when opening a folder it opens it just big enough to fit the 4 apps, and it opens it right above the folder and not all they way on the op of the screen.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the others who still prefer Nova over TW. I tried to set up TW as closely as possible to what I like, but there are a number of things that TW just cannot do.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
If Samsung offered a 6x5, or even a 7x5 grid and the ability to swipe down to see your notifications, I'd stay with Samsung launcher. So far, I prefer Nova.

TheyCallMeBT

May 2, 2017
Visit site
I've used Nova for several years now. I did not load it on my S8 and don't currently plan to. I do have some annoyances. I'd like the pull down gesture to bring down notifications. I'm getting used to not using that, and I have it set up where fingerprint sensor swipe does it. Still getting used the the feature where the up or down swipe brings up the app drawer. I wish there was an option to turn that feature off.

Overall, I find it very modern looking. More modern than what I had been using on Nova. Though I'm sure I could have made my setup look better by this point.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I've been an iPhone user since the iPhone 4 launch up to the iPhone 6 Plus. I decided not to go with the s iteration and awaited the iPhone 7 which motivated me to try Samsung and Android.

I'm sorry but I'm not in agreement with you in regards to your thoughts on iOS and Android.

The customisation on the phone with Android is off the chart for me.

Much better than Apples Sandboxed iOS and iPhones and I even jailbroke to unlock its true potential but doing that brought its own issues.

No, we agree. iOS has zero customization. Android is much better. What I'm saying is that Samsungs version of Android (touch wiz) is very limited. In order to tap into Androids potential (other than rooting) you need to use a launcher like Nova.

Graphixx30

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using Nova but only because I like the notification badges on the icons. Is there a way to get notification badges on 3rd party apps in TouchWiz (ie., gmail, etc)? If so, I would stick with TouchWiz.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
while TW has greatly improved, it's still not comparable to Nova, not even close, the gesture settings on Nova alone make it superior to TW

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
What are some of the gestures?
Simple things like double taps/knocks, Swipe up, Swipe down, double Swipe up/down(two fingers) etc. These are all basically shortcuts you can assign from the home screen. They sound like nothing, but when you set it up and get used to particular gestures opening specific apps it's kinda hard to go back to plain TW.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently using Nova but only because I like the notification badges on the icons. Is there a way to get notification badges on 3rd party apps in TouchWiz (ie., gmail, etc)? If so, I would stick with TouchWiz.
TouchWiz does have notification badges if I'm not mistaken, usually in the form of a red/orange ball on the top right corner of the app icon. Typically a number of notifications for that app.