I prefer Samsung's launcher to Nova! How about you?

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm currently using Nova but only because I like the notification badges on the icons. Is there a way to get notification badges on 3rd party apps in TouchWiz (ie., gmail, etc)? If so, I would stick with TouchWiz.

I've used gmail and sadly no on Touchwizz their is no notification badges on the gmail app.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The only thing i want from the TouchWiz launcher is the pill style Google search bar. I think that looks pretty spiffy

while I do like the Samsung launcher, I have to agree.

I was just thinking yesterday, that pill style Google search is pretty cool looking

Graphixx30

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
TouchWiz does have notification badges if I'm not mistaken, usually in the form of a red/orange ball on the top right corner of the app icon. Typically a number of notifications for that app.

Only for their stock apps. You won't get them on third party apps with TouchWiz.

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Only for their stock apps. You won't get them on third party apps with TouchWiz.
I guess it's certain apps and not others. I tend to see notifications for most of the social media apps like Facebook and IG. But come to think about it, I don't usually see one for Gmail. Not sure how they pick and choose or if its based on app support?

ol_jackburton

Trusted Member
Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
i am trying nova ( just for giggles), i think i like the look of TW better so i need to try and set up nova to look just like TW, but to have the scrolling dock and return to home that i like.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
stock launcher is just fine for me, touchwiz has been minimized a little bit more with each phone. Nova was great when I had my S4, and Note 4, but I really don't miss it now, I may load it up later on when I get bored with Samsung and Zedge features.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I've used Nova for several years now. I did not load it on my S8 and don't currently plan to. I do have some annoyances. I'd like the pull down gesture to bring down notifications. I'm getting used to not using that, and I have it set up where fingerprint sensor swipe does it. Still getting used the the feature where the up or down swipe brings up the app drawer. I wish there was an option to turn that feature off.

Overall, I find it very modern looking. More modern than what I had been using on Nova. Though I'm sure I could have made my setup look better by this point.

You can turn off the swipe up/down app drawer. Just two-finger pinch on your home screen. There should be a settings button at the bottom where you can go back to using the round icon drawer button instead of the swipe gesture.

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I just switched over to TouchWiz from Nova to see how a few themes looked. Switched back immediately. There's no way I could ever use TW.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
after posting in this thread, I tried TW for a day, omg, I missed Nova something fierce! not just the gestures, but the infinite scrolling, I missed all of it

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Yep...i uninstalled nova. I do miss the Screen gestures though. I had the "screen off app" installed and used the double tap on screen to turn phone off.

TheyCallMeBT

May 2, 2017
Visit site
You can turn off the swipe up/down app drawer. Just two-finger pinch on your home screen. There should be a settings button at the bottom where you can go back to using the round icon drawer button instead of the swipe gesture.

I figured that would be the case, but it actually isn't. Turning on the setting that makes the Apps button stay on the screen does not turn off the swipe for app drawer feature. You have both options to open it.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I just switched over to TouchWiz from Nova to see how a few themes looked. Switched back immediately. There's no way I could ever use TW.

We all have our preferences which is good.

Just to mention the s8 and s8+ do not have Touchwizz on them.

They have the Samsung Experience on them.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I used TouchWiz for one day before I switched back to nova. I've gotten so used to using Nova. Trying to use TouchWiz was foreign to me. Like I had never used it before. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred