I walked 10,000 steps a day for a month. Here’s what happened

randulo

Sep 3, 2023
Visit site
I'm 76 and in general good health. We all know 10,000 wa sa Japanese marketing thing, but it's a decent number. I shoot for 7,000 minimum. I'm retired so it's easy for me to get the steps I need unless the weather is too inclement.

I will say that the steps make a big difference in weight control. Walking has many advantages, although in California, where I lived for a decade, it's not easy. I was in Paris last week, ate like a pig and walked 20,000 steps a day. I lost 1.5 kilos.

Reactions: dyastrab

parksanim

May 4, 2023
Visit site
The metric should be related to steps at one time, for many people. I am a teacher and can easily log over 7,000 steps per day. Much of that is just piddling around the classroom. There is not much health benefit there. In fact, I have switched to more cushioned shoes and stand less to save my knees. I track the total, but also try to make 4,000 to 5,000 steps of walking over 2 to 3 trips, as a part of my day. No idea if that is a healthy number, but it keeps me thinking about it.

Last edited:

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I can appreciate the comments about trying to find time, especially as it starts to get dark earlier. And for the “boring” aspect.
My treadmill helps with both of these: I live in Texas, so summers are brutally hot - there is no “cool” period, when even at sundown it was still over 100 degrees last week, but by the time it cools down enough in the fall, it gets dark too early. But going with my daughter and my dog when we can is the absolute best option. However, when it’s too hot or too dark, I put something on my TV, throw on my earbuds and walk on my treadmill. It really helps distract me by watching a show or movie. I definitely find myself walking longer to get to the end of the episode or to a good stopping point.

parksanim

May 4, 2023
Visit site
An article idea for the author: "Body conservation while being healthy." I say this as I'm nearing retirement and find that many people I knew who were avid runners for the past 20+ years are now suffering from bad knees, bad hips, and joint issues at a younger age. People who were into bodybuilding have joint and shoulder issues, or even heart issues. Being healthy is important, but so is pacing exercise and the body for longer life. Knee replacements and hip replacements are not only expensive, but painful and can come with serious health implications (wear comfortable shoes from a young age). We are living longer these days, so body conservation while being healthy is an important topic someone needs to address. Kidney health is also very important to look at. Often overlooked from a young age, with serious problems probable in later life if you don't care for yourself early.

Reactions: belodion

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
many people I knew who were avid runners for the past 20+ years are now suffering from bad knees, bad hips, and joint issues at a younger age.
This seems so obvious to me. The human body is not evolved to do such things. It may be good for the cardiovascular system, but the musculoskeletal system must surely be damaged by it.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Surely when humans moved from being forest dwellers to hunting on the open savannah is exactly when they evolved to being hardy runners to chase down wounded animals?

finbaar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Lives were short back then. They died off or were killed long before bodies wore out.
Hunter gather societies bred healthy and it adults who could run for miles. But, and it's a big but, you had to survive infancy. Bodies wear out because they are not used, not because they are.

parksanim

May 4, 2023
Visit site
Hunter gather societies bred healthy and it adults who could run for miles. But, and it's a big but, you had to survive infancy. Bodies wear out because they are not used, not because they are.
Although that can happen, the personal experiences of health and excessive exercise freaks surrounding me (now in their 50's and 60's) has taught me otherwise. The phrase "everything in moderation" can be applied to healthy exercise, as well.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing you don't know many dancers or athletes who have passed their 20s lol.