I want to store music on the SD card and be able to access it from the Music App

espeon727

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I recently got an GS4 and would like to transfer my itunes library to it.

However, my library is over 2,000 songs, so considering the size, I would rather store the music onto my 64gig SD card.
I've already got the music (as I've edited it within itunes) downloaded to my laptop's hard drive (using itunes' consolidating),
but I'm not sure how to make the phone recognize the music files on the SD card from the Music App.

Where do I put the music files?
How do I get the Music App to recognize the files after I put them there?
Do I need to put them on the SD card as individual .mp3 songs or can I copy them from within their respective Artist's folders (as that is how consolidating automatically organizes them)?

The music is accessible (as it should be) from the Music App when I put the file directly into the Phone's Music Folder, but this is not where I want to store it.

Please advise and thank you! :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I recently got an GS4 and would like to transfer my itunes library to it.

However, my library is over 2,000 songs, so considering the size, I would rather store the music onto my 64gig SD card.
I've already got the music (as I've edited it within itunes) downloaded to my laptop's hard drive (using itunes' consolidating),
but I'm not sure how to make the phone recognize the music files on the SD card from the Music App.

Where do I put the music files?
How do I get the Music App to recognize the files after I put them there?
Do I need to put them on the SD card as individual .mp3 songs or can I copy them from within their respective Artist's folders (as that is how consolidating automatically organizes them)?

The music is accessible (as it should be) from the Music App when I put the file directly into the Phone's Music Folder, but this is not where I want to store it.

Please advise and thank you! :)

Welcome to the forums, and Android.
I have never transferred music from iTunes over, so I may make some mistakes here...
Depending on if you have a DRM on your music, this should be relatively easy to transfer over. I would insert your card into your PC, create a music folder, and drag and drop the files there.
There is an app called Doubletwist that I have seen from other users say it helps with the changeover from iTunes to Android.

As for making other folders, you don't really need to do all that. Android should be able to group everything together in the music app by genre, artist, or even just alphabetically.

espeon727

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!

It turns out all I had to do was actually as you said! I created a Music folder on the SD card, then I copied all my music (organized in their Artists' folders) to the Music folder and it worked like normal!

Thanks again! :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you!

It turns out all I had to do was actually as you said! I created a Music folder on the SD card, then I copied all my music (organized in their Artists' folders) to the Music folder and it worked like normal!

Thanks again! :)

No sweat. See you around the forums.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app