i was told this by a 2nd tier tech @ vzn regarding the reboots and worse battery.

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Master reset go to settings then go to SD and phone storage then go waay down to factory data reset press that. Thats a master reset what you are doing is a reboot.

The method you describe was the one I was talking about when I said "through the Android software". I also used the other method and selected the factory reset option.

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
The only thing that's going to fix this is new software, which they need to push to us ASAP. I loved this phone up until yesterday afternoon. Since yesterday at 5:30pm EST I've gotten ~5 random reboots. If this keeps up, I may have to try to dump this phone.

dmarlow83

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Just for the record as I've posted in other threads, I've done both the factory reset via android software and the one at the boot loader menu.

I pulled the update down as soon as I knew it was available. I'm 99% sure this has something to do with signa/reception and something making the phone restart, I don't know exactly what it is yet... but I can tell you I rarely get restarts when I'm outside with good service, or in a building that doesn't have terrible reception. However; in my apt, or parking garage it seems much more frequent.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
This isn't true at all. My phone restored everything automatically, purchased and free apps, except for my text messages, call logs, and icon placement on the home screens. My wifi settings, bluetooth settings, all of my apps, contacts, all come back and i've hard reset and swapped devices.

I do have to re-login to some services like Twitter and LiveProfile, and re-set up the Gingerbread keyboard, but the apps, settings, contacts, etc are all there.

You are saying the VZW has the ability to recover apps from the market, but can't recover some text messages and home screen setting?

:confused:

I don't think you had a factory reset....

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
You are saying the VZW has the ability to recover apps from the market, but can't recover some text messages and home screen setting?

:confused:

I don't think you had a factory reset....

It's a google thing. By default, Froyo will redownload your market apps (paid/free), recovery remembered wifi networks wallpaper, and other miscellaneous settings after a factory reset. You just don't get your app data, call log, texts, etc. But apps like MyBackup Pro can take care of that

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with a 2nd tier tech myself. He, fortunately, is a Thunderbolt owner and is incredibly frustrated himself with the random reboots and dropped 3G connectivity. He would like me to convey that they have a high alert notice that has gone out to all reps on this, and that they just had a meeting regarding it. They are passing along all information to HTC and are attempting to put the pressure on HTC to put out a rapid fix. He says that, at this point, sending out replacement phones would not necessarily be the best option, since it is clearly a software issue, but agreed that this might be something they will have to do in the future. I suggested throwing in a free extended battery for everyone experiencing the problem, and then complained that the Droid Charge manages to cram in a 1750mah battery, so what the heck is HTC's problem?? He agreed with me, not that it really matters. Just thought that I would report....so if you are having this issue, please register it with Verizon.

Also, the Thunderbolt is not listed on the HTC website on their support page. I imagine it has an "original" name and became the Thunderbolt when it was sold by Verizon. What is this phone? The Desire?

Firstly, the Thunderbolt is NOT listed on the HTC global page, neither is the DInc and DInc2. You have to change the location to USA.

Secondly, the Charge does not have a 1750 mAh battery. Its only 1600 mAh.

Lastly, it sounds like you just got brushed off. Did he actually do any TS'ing? Or did he just tell you all that then push you away?

abomb78

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
So if i clicked on updates and slected check for new updates, is that considered a manual update? Because no message ever came up on my phone nor in the app store where typically if there is something that needs to be updated, it would show. It said there was an update, I accepted it, the phone did its thing and then rebooted. I dont recall anything being wiped from my phone. Every single app and setting is intact. I have never had a random reboot like others are stating. I have seen some impovement with the staying connected to the network issue always disconnecting, but it didnt go away completely and about 2-3 times a day I do have to go into wireless networks to click "connect" again. The news about a security vulnurability with pre-GB is a bit alarming. They better fix it quick and send an update to patch that mess. Better video audio quality would be nice as it is still god aweful on the TB. Nice phone though. just needs all the crap ironed out already. Come on with it HTC!!

mrtonk

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Firstly, the Thunderbolt is NOT listed on the HTC global page, neither is the DInc and DInc2. You have to change the location to USA.

Secondly, the Charge does not have a 1750 mAh battery. Its only 1600 mAh.

Lastly, it sounds like you just got brushed off. Did he actually do any TS'ing? Or did he just tell you all that then push you away?

Thanks for the info on the HTC page. Didn't realize I was on global.

My apologies on the battery - I was going from a faulty memory. I swear, though, that I looked at specs for an upcoming Verizon 4G phone that had a 1750 battery and got irritated that we only have a 1400. Wonder what phone it was, if not the Charge....

I actually headed him off before he did any real support work for me. I told him that I've done a:
- battery pull
- battery pull with SIM pull
- factory reset from the Settings menu
- factory reset from the Settings menu followed by a battery pull
- factory reset from the bootloader menu followed by a battery pull

I told him that I really didn't WANT to do any more factory resets, despite how very awesome MyBackup is. He had me verify a few things and then that's when we talked about how the problem with the reboots and OTA were much bigger and that a simple factory reset would NOT take care of the problem, especially if I did it a 4th time. He was actually very sympathetic and helpful and did not try to beat around the bush or deny anything, like has been reported elsewhere in these forums. Despite his lack of ability to help me, I was very grateful for the way he handled the entire episode.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
So if i clicked on updates and slected check for new updates, is that considered a manual update? Because no message ever came up on my phone nor in the app store where typically if there is something that needs to be updated, it would show. It said there was an update, I accepted it, the phone did its thing and then rebooted. I dont recall anything being wiped from my phone. Every single app and setting is intact. I have never had a random reboot like others are stating. I have seen some impovement with the staying connected to the network issue always disconnecting, but it didnt go away completely and about 2-3 times a day I do have to go into wireless networks to click "connect" again. The news about a security vulnurability with pre-GB is a bit alarming. They better fix it quick and send an update to patch that mess. Better video audio quality would be nice as it is still god aweful on the TB. Nice phone though. just needs all the crap ironed out already. Come on with it HTC!!

Google fixed that security vulnerability on their end already. That was a few days ago... maybe as much as a week since I talked to our Google liaison and thats what they told us.

Aside, hitting 'Check For Update' is a manual update.

Reactions: abomb78

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info on the HTC page. Didn't realize I was on global.

My apologies on the battery - I was going from a faulty memory. I swear, though, that I looked at specs for an upcoming Verizon 4G phone that had a 1750 battery and got irritated that we only have a 1400. Wonder what phone it was, if not the Charge....

I actually headed him off before he did any real support work for me. I told him that I've done a:
- battery pull
- battery pull with SIM pull
- factory reset from the Settings menu
- factory reset from the Settings menu followed by a battery pull
- factory reset from the bootloader menu followed by a battery pull

I told him that I really didn't WANT to do any more factory resets, despite how very awesome MyBackup is. He had me verify a few things and then that's when we talked about how the problem with the reboots and OTA were much bigger and that a simple factory reset would NOT take care of the problem, especially if I did it a 4th time. He was actually very sympathetic and helpful and did not try to beat around the bush or deny anything, like has been reported elsewhere in these forums. Despite his lack of ability to help me, I was very grateful for the way he handled the entire episode.

I'm not sure what 4G device had a 1750 mAh battery... *cough*Revolution*cough*

Aside, I was having the power cycling issue (once a day), did a factory reset which made it worse (5+ times a day), then I pulled the battery and SIM and held the power button while grounded for about 15 seconds to discharge the capacitors. Put back in the SIM/battery and have not had a power cycle since.

It seems the fixes are random and not guaranteed. My second Tbolt had it but stopped with just a soft reset. HTC will have to *really* be the ones to fix it.

dannychaos

High Five Champion
Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Did all the steps they would ask you. I soft and hard reseted, I've pulled battery and sim card out. Charged the phone fully and redone all steps and guess what, I still get reboots. Reps are just feeding us nonsense and/or buying time till they find out what happened and release a fix. I'm guessing we might have to wait till late June when the gingerbread update is due. (fingers crossed)

Reactions: Chrisy

Komodod

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
This issue is really strange. I had 2 reboots...then did my own restart....had one more....then i performed another restart....no issues for 24 hr now. No clue why???

deeznuts2

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
my phone did the factory reset and I still got the reboots.

This issue is actually quite interesting - my phone has only rebooted 3, 4 times tops since the update. The last reboot was 2 days ago. Generally it happens when sitting doing nothing. I have yet to have it happen when using it, which is pretty frequently throughout the day (email, games, internet, utilizing data intensive apps, etc).

Battery life is the same, maybe a tad bit better.

Its interesting since one would assume the update was the same for everyone, yet the frequency of reboots various from person to person, regardless of whether you have a rooted or non-rooted phone, which suggests some OS issue is involved, and not just a flaw in the OTA update file itself.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
It is interesting that there are so many different experiences. I always look for patterns when solving an issue. It appears to be random as some manual uploaders are not having any problems but others are. Why? My theory may be dead wrong but it may be caused by Sense. Those who use launchers may be avoiding the ptob. I'd like to see a list of people using alternative launchers and find out

Sent from my Thunderbolt.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Did all the steps they would ask you. I soft and hard reseted, I've pulled battery and sim card out. Charged the phone fully and redone all steps and guess what, I still get reboots. Reps are just feeding us nonsense and/or buying time till they find out what happened and release a fix. I'm guessing we might have to wait till late June when the gingerbread update is due. (fingers crossed)

Did you try what I did?

"Aside, I was having the power cycling issue (once a day), did a factory reset which made it worse (5+ times a day), then I pulled the battery and SIM and held the power button while grounded for about 15 seconds to discharge the capacitors. Put back in the SIM/battery and have not had a power cycle since."

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
A factory reset isn't exactly something to be taken as lightly as the CS rep that the OP spoke with may have led him to believe -- for the most part, the reason people wait for OTA updates is because they traditionally DON'T wipe your data (require a factory reset) in the process. I can't imagine there is any way a major cell carrier could get away with pushing an update that forced a reset without angering a LOT of customers

To answer some of the other questions/comments raised here, yes, a factory reset wipes personal data on the phone. A large portion of that data will quickly be restored, thanks to the fact that Google, Verizon and/or HTC do sync a lot of those settings and data. Your apps, for example, should all automatically be re-downloaded and installed from the market...but none of the previous data will be there, so you'll have to sign in and re-configure settings and all that jazz (your progress in Angry Birds? Gone). Also, yes, your home-screen icons, call log, and sms messages will be reset and can't be recovered unless you did a manual backup. Contacts and calendar aren't that big of a deal because they sync with the Google servers online, but if you have other calendars or contacts saved to the phone storage, you'll want to make sure you back those up first...because they'll be wiped out.

In short, I highly doubt what the OP was told was true (that the OTA update was meant to have a factory reset included)...but one thing is for sure: this was a bad update, and I'm willing to bet a lot of people at HTC are sweating right now trying to fix it. This is premuim, high-visibility device that Verzion is pushing hard, so they'll find a resolution for this ASAP.

I'm just glad I don't have the update.

droflo2.0

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I got the update after inquiring about it. I did not do a factory reset either. Guess what? I've had no issues with my tb except the kick stand peel. You're rep is full of ****. Also I'm on stock sense no launcher

Struck via Thor's hammer.