iBOLT Vehicle Dock for S III

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Many users have asked us here at IBOLT if there's a way of turning off the functionality that sVoice starts every time the phone is inserted into the Dock.

The application "CarHome Ultra" is one alternative that will give a similar interface to the HTC Car Dock application. Here's how to replace the sVoice with Car Home

1. Download the app from Google Play and install.
2. Next time you insert the SGS3 into the Dock you will be asked which application should be the default "car dock" start App.
3. Select the App that you want to start when the phone is inserted into the Dock.

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
When using the excellent application iOnRoad the camera view appears upside down with default settings. This can be changed so the camera is showing correctly and the whole app works properly in the iBOLT dock. Go to "Settings-Display Settings - Opposite display" and mark this green and it works fine. See screen shots from the app. Hope this helps

highbloodsugar

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I love the dock! Nice to have a 9' cord. Installs great in my Saturn ION. One complaint I do have is with the power button being on the bottom, when you push the top ie. volume it often pushes in the power button and brings up what ever screen, or goes to sleep. Maybe a cut out would be helpful with this issue. idk. I do like having access to the volume button (up only).
Another issue I do have is with the 9' cord. (might be defective) I thought it worked great until I started my car. When aux. and usb are plugged in it works through my speakers with way too much back ground noise, like hissing sounds. When I unplug the usb cabe and leave the aux in it totally cuts in and out like there is a short somewhere. (from mono to stereo) you have to insert cable and wiggle a little to try to make it work. I would like to replace only the 9' cable but not sure if thats possible. I got mine from shopandroid

prodigal27

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just recieved it

Dislikes:

Design
Function
- When plugged in, S Voice immediately launches. I dont like this. I do not want S Voice launching, unless I want to do something. I personally find S Voice useless, and almost never use it. I recomend getting Car Home Ultra as a dock replacement.

Overall, this is my 2nd dock. I have a Mount tek CD mount as well, and so far, I much prefer the iBolt. Given the choices out there currently, I think this is the best option available, and its not too bad of a price.

If you plug the cable that plugs into the back of the dock directly into the phone, does it still launch S-Voice? I don't think it would but I'm a bit curious if it's just a simple Y adapter that goes into a programmed dock.

Would you mind testing this for me? It might be worth it for me to buy the dock just for the cable.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
If you plug the cable that plugs into the back of the dock directly into the phone, does it still launch S-Voice? I don't think it would but I'm a bit curious if it's just a simple Y adapter that goes into a programmed dock.

Would you mind testing this for me? It might be worth it for me to buy the dock just for the cable.

No, if you use the 9ft cord, it does not launch S Voice. But, I don't want to not use the dock part, as I like everything functioning as intended.

I downloaded car home ultra, and that took care of the issue. Now when docked, CHU launches instead of S voice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: prodigal27

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
No, if you use the 9ft cord, it does not launch S Voice. But, I don't want to not use the dock part, as I like everything functioning as intended.

I downloaded car home ultra, and that took care of the issue. Now when docked, CHU launches instead of S voice.

That's the way I have things set up with my current Infuse. I'm waiting for my replacement iBolt. Hopefully it shows up by early next week. It didn't work but I can tell I'll like it much more than my Infuse and company support was excellent.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
That's the way I have things set up with my current Infuse. I'm waiting for my replacement iBolt. Hopefully it shows up by early next week. It didn't work but I can tell I'll like it much more than my Infuse and company support was excellent.

How did they send it? They 2nd day aired to me, came today. Works fine, but so did my last one for a day or 2. I'm hoping this one lasts, because I like it.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
They told me they were sending it Priority Mail. Supposedly sent yesterday. If so I should get it by early next week the latest.

jeffdanger

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
My Ibolt works good but sometimes when a call comes in and I answer with my bluetooth headset the audio comes through the phone. This never happened with the Infuse dock. It's great to be able to leave the case on and that's the main reason I got it.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I just received my replacement and it seems to be working fine. Everything initialized just as it did with the Infuse dock. My car has bluetooth built in so I don't expect any issues with that but I haven't tried it yet. I am using Car Home Ultra paid version.

Last edited:

JD Racer Dad

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Is the USB cable a charge only cable?
Many car chargers put out the iPhone protocol and not the standard USB protocol.
I have some of both and only the non-iPhone chargers work without a special cable.
It is all about how they handle the two middle data pins.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Many car chargers put out the iPhone protocol and not the standard USB protocol.
I have some of both and only the non-iPhone chargers work without a special cable.

There's 2 cables. The 9ft cord that connects your car to the dock and the usb cable that connects the dock to the phone.

The 9ft one is a usb + audio jack.

Not really sure what else you mean? If you bypass the dock and attach the 9ft cord directly, it charges and plays audio, but does not automatically launch dock mode

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I can tell you that even with a standard car charger cable the dock initializes into Car Home Ultra when I plug the phone in. I don't have an AUX input in my car so am not using the cable that came with the dock. It's weird that I don't have an AUX input but I do have an SD card and a jack in my glovebox for my old iPod Nano so I don't really need yet another music source anyway... ;)

MPSmith1

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Just bought one. I REALLY miss the car mount from my Droid X days.
Looks like a great product. I will post my thoughts on it after a few days.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The biggest thing I miss about my X's dock is that it made all the connections just be putting the phone in the dock. This one, though, you still have to plug the little cable in. Not a big deal, though. Just an extra step that I didn't have before.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site

Not really sure what else you mean? If you bypass the dock and attach the 9ft cord directly, it charges and plays audio, but does not automatically launch dock mode

I think he is referring to whether or not the phone will draw more than 0.5A for charging with the included cable. The USB power spec calls for the data pins to be shorted together to tell the device that it can draw up to 1.5A vs the normal USB max of 0.5A. Since in this instance the data pins are being used to send the left and right audio channels I would assume that the phone won't see that as a short, and will self-limit to drawing 0.5A. And I do not believe any hackery like those "charging adapters" or cracking open a cigarette lighter adapter and shorting the pins internally is going to change that since the data pins are not passed to the USB port on the other end of the cable.

Edit: I did see some articles on xda developers about the Galaxy Tab 10.1 having a kernal available that could enable the higher rate of charging in software, not sure if that is possible on these phones

Neotravy

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Uh oh,

Everything was fine for quite a while and now when I plug the power into my dock, the left side of audio goes out (using aux). When I don't plug the power in, everything is fine.

In addition to that, when the power is plugged in, it makes a noise like static that is super annoying. I really like this dock but it's causing problems. now :(

MikaelPe

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Highbloodsugar, answers to the two concerns you have:
1. The Dock came with a couple of foam pads. If you install them in the corners of the channel (as per user manual) you should not have any issues with the on/off button being pressed down. If you can't find them, fill out the form under "Contact Us" on iBolt.co - Stay connected with your world. page and we'll mail you a couple of new foam pads today. The suggestion with a cut off is implemented and will be available soon but the foam pads do work well if installed!

2. With regards to background "hissing noise" I have experienced this myself on one car we tested but it turned out that the USB port was not isolating enough. Please plug in the USB cord into a car charger with a USB port on it and try this to see if the background noise is gone? With regards to cable, please note this on the above mentioned contact form and we'll get a new one in the mail to you for testing.

Thanks for buying iBOLT!

Neotravy

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll try buying another USB to lighter power adapter to see if that helps. I wish that you guys had one that you had tested and approved of in the package to eliminate this as an issue. :(