ICS Update for the Nexus S 4G Discussion Thread

Grey_girl

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Got it last night in NYC.

Not sure I like some of the UI changes, but maybe I just have to become fluent with them. My initial issues might seem minor, but they immediately jumped out at me.
  • I miss the old 3 item system tray - I'd like to be able to reduce the size of this one and / or center it. Heck, I'd like to be able to select smaller icons overall.
  • I use two different exchange email accounts, and while the stock app is ok for me, I'd really like to customize the color coding in the Combined View. I've never been able to find a way to do this.
  • I'm also not sure NoLED is reacting to screen notifications as it should.

However, the phone does seem snappier now.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Got it last night in NYC.

[*]I use two different exchange email accounts, and while the stock app is ok for me, I'd really like to customize the color coding in the Combined View. I've never been able to find a way to do this.
[*]I'm also not sure NoLED is reacting to screen notifications as it should.
[/LIST]

However, the phone does seem snappier now.

I hadn't checked out the new stock email app until you brought it up. I use the GMail app, but I do miss the "combined view" from the stock app - I wish they would add this to the GMail app. I did notice the stock app doesn't have the dark theme I liked from the GB version.

losino

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My phone lags like crazy now with this update. Dolphin browser is not working. Then to top it all off. When I'm scrolling through a large list, like in my music catalog, I can't give the screen a hard flick and make the list move accordingly. Hopefully they get these bugs worked out before they push this out to the current generation of flagship phones.

Maybe we can get an update on this when they push this to other phones.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

bugz_92

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I think my favorite thing about ics is the developer options. I can finally control my background data :). The phone is a lot smoother because of my preferences. I think I missed the fast scroll the most though and holding down the menu button and bringing up the keyboard :(

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I miss the old 3 item system tray - I'd like to be able to reduce the size of this one and / or center it. Heck, I'd like to be able to select smaller icons overall.

Pull two icons out. Boom, you've got a 3 item tray! ;)

Failing that, switch to a different launcher, like Nova - I actually increased the number of items in my tray/dock.

I use two different exchange email accounts, and while the stock app is ok for me, I'd really like to customize the color coding in the Combined View. I've never been able to find a way to do this.

Not sure if it handles Exchange accounts, but you might consider K-9.

I'm also not sure NoLED is reacting to screen notifications as it should.

I haven't noticed any problems with it yet, but I also don't get a whole lot of notifications.

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

opteron7

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't like the fact Google search widget is on each home screen. Tried deleting but I'm not able to .

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

smcolbert

May 22, 2011
Visit site
The scroll bars ACTUALLY work in ics (my favorite is in the people app). So the flicking was toned down to give the user a little more tactile control.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't like the fact Google search widget is on each home screen. Tried deleting but I'm not able to .

There's two ways to "fix" this:

1) How to Disable the Google Search Bar in ICS | xda-developers - it'll make it go away, but you won't get the screen real estate back.

2) Use an alternate launcher - I opted for Nova Launcher, which has a few other extra features worth having, IMO. I don't know if other launchers will also allow you to get rid of the search bar.

bugz_92

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why people complain about the search bar. I don't blame Google one bit for doing that. They are a company after all and this is just a good idea. I personally always needed more space to add a search widget up there without taking more icon space. And I feel like its hard to disagree that this was a smart move on Google's part with Gnex not having search button and Bing being pre loaded on to droids.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
For anyone interested, check some of the custom launchers they may have the option to disable the search bar. I believe Nova has this option. I know if you root and install the custom CM9 Launcher (Trebuchet), which is basically the stock ICS launcher customized CM style. You can disable the search bar, add homescreens, resize widgets and icons and I think also reconfigure your homescreen to support more icons.

Just an option... Just trying to keep you new ICS users in the loop :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick