If You Knew Then What You Know Now,Would You Still Buy The EVO3D?

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Re: If You Knew Then What You Know Now,Would You Still Buy The EV

Please let me know how your Root goes. I would like to know if Rooting is worth doing to an EVO3D or not.

Posted Using My Sprint HTC EVO3D Using Tapatalk -

Haven't done it yet, but will be sure to let you know!

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Honestly I wouldn't... I kinda felt like I wasted my upgrade on it after the fact. I'll admit I got caught up in the 3D hype and I probably used it maybe once after the first week that I had it. Luckily I was able to push it off on someone else since I was well past the 30 day return date.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

At this point.. yes.

The only other phone on Sprint I would even consider would be the Nexus S.. and I already bought to replace my 3D but am going to sell it. The Epic Touch 4G is too damn wide for me with too low a resolution for the size to deal with. And I refuse to buy a Motorola due to their awful software, interface, bootloader, and support.

So, in June 2011 when I had the opportunity to finally leave AT&T, I made the 3D choice and as of now I still think it's the best phone on Sprint until the next ones come out

odd

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I would of held out for the iPhone 4S.

My Evo 3D battery dies very fast, and other current annoyances are app crashes, app updates, and a buggy lock screen. Also lamely showing people the 3D is getting old, going to that same youtube kid with the oreo popping out. I loved it at first, but now it already seems a little dated compared to current offerings.

I am hoping though that ice cream sandwich comes quick and makes me like it again. :cool:

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site

I knew Sprint was going to get something close to the Sensation sans the 3D. If I was still on Sprint, I would've skipped this and gotten the Design

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Yes is would. I got my Evo 3D flash over to boost since we have no 4G here and its a awesome phone. HTC did a good job on the Evo3D and i think it will be around for a while and ICS will breath some life back into it. I used ICS on it and it was very smooth and felt pretty snappy.

Honestly slap a 32gig sd card in it and overclock it and it will still give even the newer phones a run for their money and the thing is pretty durable. I dropped it on cement from about 5feet on a corner and no damage.

Solid phone. Typical high end HTC build and feels like a very high end phone in your hand, I had mine oc'ed to 1.9ghz i run it at 1.56ghz daily now using theOlympus Trinity XE Titan HD rom and Anthrax kernel. It might not have the new hd display like the new phones but its still a damn fine phone.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I love my EVO 3D. Got it back on 6/23 and haven't regretted it once. Very fast, responsive, and I love the MHL adapter for full mirroring of my phone onto my big screen HDTV. Yeah, some may not have 4G (I do) but I don't think that matters much because iPhone users are limited to 3G regardless. I see this phone getting me through until we get LTE. I am definitely going to hold out for Sprint's next LTE HTC device. I actually like Sense and other than official Google phones, HTC seems to have better support and more updates. Jmho.

bignaz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Yeah i love Sense 3.0. My batt. Life has not been to bad on the Evo3d. I easy would go a day on one charge with some pretty good use on it during the day. And i did not use things like juice defender or disable my data connection when it was not in use.

To me the Evo3D set it self up as a sold phone. It's how old and can still hold its own to phones just coming out today? HTC did a nice job on it and i would expect nothing less from them. My first android was a Droid Eris and it wasent the best but it was a nice phone. Then i went with a Droid Incredible "First version with the AMOLED screen" And i loved that phone very nice, fast and never gave me any issues.

imo i dont like the iphone at all. Screen is to small. It looks good but apple knows nothing about ergonomics and you pretty much have to call up apple and have them fax over some forms to fill out just so you can charge the damn thing. Sorry if i pay that much for a phone i better be able to hold it whatever way i want with no case and be able to do whatever i want with it. Iphones are nice they are just past their prime now but the fanboys will never admit it.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Some people were coming from a POS webos device and this was the best option at the time. That doesn't mean it is the best option now, hence the OP's question.

I see Vick.

But sadly, just what is out that is better?
The photon is more or less the same. The galaxy s II is also good but not better with It's lower res screen.
The iPhone is far from better unless you are too simple minded.

So just what phone again is better at this time?

swiped to you in 3D

theotherlinh

Apr 21, 2011
theotherlinh.com

I see Vick.

But sadly, just what is out that is better?
The photon is more or less the same. The galaxy s II is also good but not better with It's lower res screen.
The iPhone is far from better unless you are too simple minded.

So just what phone again is better at this time?

swiped to you in 3D

SGS2 screen res isn't a deciding factor for some. The weight and battery life beat out the EVO3D, and arguably, some like the SAMOLED look better. And I'd almost say I'd prefer touchwiz just because the default dock is totally useless to me in sense (i do love the lock screen tho, sans the lack of custom background for it)

iPhone for simple minded? are you just troll baiting? I'm not a fan of iOS, but recognize it's very clean streamlined ecosystem. It usually does, in fact, just work. It's also the only phone that is powerful and still "small." I really wish someone would make that for a android. I'd even settle for just beefing up the Nexus S internals and screen, but keep the exact form factor and weight.

odd

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Mobile OS aside, the 'retina' display (640?960) and camera (8 megapixels) on the iPhone 4S definitely beats out the Evo 3D (5megapixel x2 and 540x960). To the point above, the Apple 'ease of use' and small form factor is also a good deciding factor for some users.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site

Please let me know how your Root goes. I would like to know if Rooting is worth doing to an EVO3D or not.

Posted Using My Sprint HTC EVO3D Using Tapatalk -
Okay, so I rooted my phone yesterday and flashed CleanROM. Since I had done the OTA update a while back, I was stuck with hboot 1.50 and couldn't use Revolutionary to get S-OFF. So I had to go the HTC Unlock route. I used the guide at the link below, and it was effortless. Not sure how much is due to the factory reset and how much is due to CleanROM and the lack of bloatware, but my EVO3D is noticeably snappier and battery life seems much improved. I can't wait for the ICS ROMs to get a few more of the kinks worked out, because I will definitely be moving in that direction as soon as possible.

As of right now, the only complaint I have with the EVO3D is its crappy speakerphone. Otherwise, I'm completely happy with it.

[GUIDE] HTC Unlock Hboot 1.50 + TWRP Recovery + Root + Flash!! [9.11.11] - xda-developers

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

My cousin got an iPhone 4s for Christmas and while it is a nice phone, it has its limits (and I'm rooted so that may be a factor) and I wouldn't trade.

Reactions: warpdrive

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
SGS2 screen res isn't a deciding factor for some. The weight and battery life beat out the EVO3D, and arguably, some like the SAMOLED look better. And I'd almost say I'd prefer touchwiz just because the default dock is totally useless to me in sense (i do love the lock screen tho, sans the lack of custom background for it)

iPhone for simple minded? are you just troll baiting? I'm not a fan of iOS, but recognize it's very clean streamlined ecosystem. It usually does, in fact, just work. It's also the only phone that is powerful and still "small." I really wish someone would make that for a android. I'd even settle for just beefing up the Nexus S internals and screen, but keep the exact form factor and weight.

I can't speak for others but my battery life on my EVO3D is outstanding. Maybe I get about 1 hour less then my nephew's Sammy GS2...that I put on my contract.

I'm not too sure what you are talking about not being able to change backgrounds because I change mine every week.

The default dock may be useless to you, and i can understand that to a point.
But remember what I said in my original posting....with all the videos and reviews that I'm sure you looked at, then I'm sure that you tried the phone out at the store, how was the dock some how a suprise to you? In other words, did you just find out now that the dock was worthless to you now, after you got the phone? (or, like the original post asked "knowing then, what you know now, would you still have gotten the phone?) so you knew that you didn't like the dock back then before you got the phone, yet you bought it anyway...why?

Now I do like the amoled screen of the Samsung phones. But to disregard that the low res screen on such a large phone and the fact that the colors are clearly over saturated (never mind that the blacks may be awesome, but the whites just flat out suck), is to not fully tell the truth about the phone.

touchwiz vs sence...again, I'm not going to go into this because if you don't like sence, yet you bought it anyway, then I don't know what else to say.

As for the iPhone, yes It's powerful, but no more powerful then many of other small Android phones out there. The limits, and the lack of many features found on many of the top Android phones requires me to stand by my reply.

swiped to you in 3D

Last edited:

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

My cousin got an iPhone 4s for Christmas and while it is a nice phone, it has its limits (and I'm rooted so that may be a factor) and I wouldn't trade.

I not only have a friend with an iphone 4S, but also have a few who have older ipones. they are great phones regardless that all my friend's phones have broken glass and I fear that the newest 4S that my friend has will be like the rest in a month or two.

I do agree that they all have limits and lack features as compared to android phones, but to each their own I guess.

M3wThr33

Jun 1, 2011
planetmew.com

I not only have a friend with an iphone 4S, but also have a few who have older ipones. they are great phones regardless that all my friend's phones have broken glass and I fear that the newest 4S that my friend has will be like the rest in a month or two.

I do agree that they all have limits and lack features as compared to android phones, but to each their own I guess.

I look at iOS as an app-driven interface. You think of everything you want to do as an app you have to run.
Makes it MUCH easier for people to mentally think of how to do things.
I look at Android as a more robust operating system where you just do things. So there's more of a learning curve, but it's obviously more capable.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

I look at iOS as an app-driven interface. You think of everything you want to do as an app you have to run.
Makes it MUCH easier for people to mentally think of how to do things.
I look at Android as a more robust operating system where you just do things. So there's more of a learning curve, but it's obviously more capable.

I not only agree, but agree so much that it is the reason why I said that iOS or iphones are for more simple minded people.

P_M_G

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site

I just got a 3D as an insurance replacement for a shattered OG Evo.

Pros -
battery life (on Olympus Titan HD currently) is spectacular compared to my OG
screen resolution is superior, looks better, easier to read
speed is superior as well with the dual cores
1GB vs 512MB

Cons -
i prefer the wider OG screen. didn't think i would notice it, but i think about it every time i pick it up.
3D gimmicky - i looked at one 3d pic, deleted it and haven't moved the switch since.
HTCDEV for root and unable to attain S-OFF with HBOOT 1.5....was just much easier to flash on the OG.

Ideally what I'd want is the OG EVO with a QHD or 1280x720 screen, dual cores, and 1GB+ RAM with LTE and a robust battery!

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

I not only agree, but agree so much that it is the reason why I said that iOS or iphones are for more simple minded people.

Or people that don't want to mess with a phone
Or people that just want something simple
Or people who don't use much data or streaming media

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site

I just got a 3D as an insurance replacement for a shattered OG Evo.

Pros -
battery life (on Olympus Titan HD currently) is spectacular compared to my OG
screen resolution is superior, looks better, easier to read
speed is superior as well with the dual cores
1GB vs 512MB

Cons -
i prefer the wider OG screen. didn't think i would notice it, but i think about it every time i pick it up.
3D gimmicky - i looked at one 3d pic, deleted it and haven't moved the switch since.
HTCDEV for root and unable to attain S-OFF with HBOOT 1.5....was just much easier to flash on the OG.

Ideally what I'd want is the OG EVO with a QHD or 1280x720 screen, dual cores, and 1GB+ RAM with LTE and a robust battery!

1280x720 wouldn't be qhd, it would just be hd

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenbahn