I'm sorry but....

gruppe3942#AC

May 28, 2010
Visit site
The s4 is not cheap looking or feeling at all. I went by the store and picked up the htc one and yes I thought I felt nice. Then I saw the s4 and picked it up....come on really guys? I think that the media has been trying to push the htc one too much. The s4 felt great in the hand and looks great. The picture I had in my mind after reading all the articles is exact opposite of what the s4 is. I understand everyone has their own opinion on what's premium and cheap feeling...but really?...come on!

I'm addicted to the phone

patelkedar91

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Thought the exact same thing when I read this:
Samsung Galaxy S4 review | The Verge

"It feels cheap and chintzy and just unimpressive" LOL like does aluminum vs. plastic really strike that hard?
I mean, it's still got great ergonomics and actual device design is great. He's mostly complaining about what it's made out of...

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The s4 is not cheap looking or feeling at all. I went by the store and picked up the htc one and yes I thought I felt nice. Then I saw the s4 and picked it up....come on really guys? I think that the media has been trying to push the htc one too much. The s4 felt great in the hand and looks great. The picture I had in my mind after reading all the articles is exact opposite of what the s4 is. I understand everyone has their own opinion on what's premium and cheap feeling...but really?...come on!

This is -exactly- why I posted the Galaxy S4 Design thread and will review the phone in comparison with the One.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Wilbur

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't agree with the OP more. Popped in the local AT&T and played with the S4 for 15 minutes. Nothing cheap about the phone at all. I have to suspect some so-called journalists were on the take to talk smack about the S4. Shame on you. I am even more anxious for Verizon to get on the stick and sell me a black 32GB S4 !!! haha

BarackOdrama

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I played with it today at the AT&T store and I agree with the reviewers who are saying it feels kind of cheap. Maybe compared to other android devices it doesn't feel cheap but i've only used iPhones since their inception. I also don't really care for the black color looking more silver than black.

I'll still be getting it because I liked everything else about it and I'm tired of iPhones, but I wouldn't say it feels as premium as the iPhone 5.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
"professional" reviewers have access to every single phone that comes out, and they have to be critical. but at the end of the day, they are more than likely jaded from reviewing so many devices which vary in materials and usability.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't agree with the OP more. Popped in the local AT&T and played with the S4 for 15 minutes. Nothing cheap about the phone at all. I have to suspect some so-called journalists were on the take to talk smack about the S4. Shame on you. I am even more anxious for Verizon to get on the stick and sell me a black 32GB S4 !!! haha

I'm with ya!!

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Same here. My premium One was returned for the S4 this morning. I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I think that if you hold the HTC One in one hand, and the S4 in the other, and don't think that the S4 feels cheap, you are trying to convince yourself otherwise inside your mind.

Go hold three pieces of plastic glued together in one hand, and go hold a single block of anodized aluminum in the other. Tell me which feels cheaper.

Keep in mind that I own a Galaxy S3 currently, as well as an HTC Evo (I work for telecomm). I am not being a hater or troll, but honestly, it feels cheap and that is simply the truth.

However, what I will say is that it is a very nice size and the shape of the phone makes it feel much more premium than the Galaxy S III ever did. But when you compare to HTC One.... there is no comparison. It makes the Galaxy S 4 look like it came (almost) from the dollar store. Even so, I think people will like the fact that it is so lightweight. Because of the weight and shape, people will like it. Is the HTC One for everyone? No. Is the S4 for everyone? No. But I honestly don't think there is anyone in this planet that can say that when you compare the two phones, that the S4 doesn't feel cheap. Because it does.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
People's opinions and taste and brains all vary. Look at "organic" foods and the stigma/zealotry related to that fairy tale :p. Best advice is to go pick it up and play with it for yourself..see if it suits your taste

Sent from my Galaxy S 4 on Sprint...and yes, I have LTE so I don't need to hear anyone's **** about how Sprint sucks and there's no LTE

Podunks

Banned
Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I am with you 100%

Spent at least an hour with them both... and I have to say, I would have buyers remorse had I purchased an HTC One.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think that if you hold the HTC One in one hand, and the S4 in the other, and don't think that the S4 feels cheap, you are trying to convince yourself otherwise inside your mind.

Go hold three pieces of plastic glued together in one hand, and go hold a single block of anodized aluminum in the other. Tell me which feels cheaper.

Keep in mind that I own a Galaxy S3 currently, as well as an HTC Evo (I work for telecomm). I am not being a hater or troll, but honestly, it feels cheap and that is simply the truth.

However, what I will say is that it is a very nice size and the shape of the phone makes it feel much more premium than the Galaxy S III ever did. But when you compare to HTC One.... there is no comparison. It makes the Galaxy S 4 look like it came (almost) from the dollar store. Even so, I think people will like the fact that it is so lightweight. Because of the weight and shape, people will like it. Is the HTC One for everyone? No. Is the S4 for everyone? No. But I honestly don't think there is anyone in this planet that can say that when you compare the two phones, that the S4 doesn't feel cheap. Because it does.

I'm guessing people who pick them both up will notice that one is much more comfortable to hold and is thinner/lighter. Then they'll notice that there's no real design flaws on that phone, where the other could have gaps on the top or bottom or screens that pop out near the speaker grills. Then the fact that its thinner, lighter, and more comfortable becomes more prominent and "cheap" is the furthest thing from their mind.

Taking shots at the S4 design is piggybacking on reviews that were written by people who love the One and want to feel good about choosing an HTC device for once. And that's fine, but they should leave the S4 out of it. No matter how hard they try, the S4 will undoubtedly be more successful, more prominent among their social circles, and frankly more popular in general.

Parafly

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I did the same today. Popped in an att store and held the one in one hand and the galaxy in the other and they both felt great. I had expected the one to feel much better

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
My brother got one today, he is taking it back 2moro, said that fake looking plastic band was already coming loose, and the phone had a terrible lag to it!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
When the folks who love their Ones can do so while not caring about the S4 (and there are those that do), these things will stop.

Goes both ways...

And I really want asking a serious question. A high amount of threads in this section end up being about plastic vs aluminum, or One vs S4. Same with the One section.

Might need to do some cleaning up later...

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Goes both ways...

And I really want asking a serious question. A high amount of threads in this section end up being about plastic vs aluminum, or One vs S4. Same with the One section.

Might need to do some cleaning up later...

Maybe, but it usually starts with "The S4 is plastic and cheap" and goes from there.