I'm told my phone cuts in & out during calls ... ???

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi, all.

Has anyone here been told that their 6P phone cuts out during phone calls? If so, how did you fix the issue?

Nexus 6P (stock Nougat) here on Project Fi's wireless service.

In the last 2 weeks, I've had two customer service agents (Blue Shield & T-Mobile) tell me that I "cut out" during phone calls. I know I have also been disconnected during calls a few times to various parties. It's a PITA. May even have to consider a new phone even though I rarely use my phone for actual telephone calls. I just expect the phone to be able to handle ... you know ... phone calls without issue. lol.

I am including a picture showing my signal strength (Project Fi & WiFi).

Screenshot_20160913-162239.png

Thank you!

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi, all.

Has anyone here been told that their 6P phone cuts out during phone calls? If so, how did you fix the issue?

Nexus 6P (stock Nougat) here on Project Fi's wireless service.

In the last 2 weeks, I've had two customer service agents (Blue Shield & T-Mobile) tell me that I "cut out" during phone calls. I know I have also been disconnected during calls a few times to various parties. It's a PITA. May even have to consider a new phone even though I rarely use my phone for actual telephone calls. I just expect the phone to be able to handle ... you know ... phone calls without issue. lol.

I am including a picture showing my signal strength (Project Fi & WiFi).

View attachment 239362

Thank you!

Have you checked with your mobile provider? They love to blame the phone first, when it could be your service. I get your bars look good but there could be more to it, could be your sim card. hard to say, have they done any trouble shooting>

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Have you checked with your mobile provider? They love to blame the phone first, when it could be your service. I get your bars look good but there could be more to it, could be your sim card. hard to say, have they done any trouble shooting>

Good question ... I will take some time to call Fi tomorrow. I didn't think of the possibility that the sim card is failing.

Thank you, mh.

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I have had the same issue since I have had the phone. Searched on and off until I came across this 2 months ago. No one complains anymore that I am breaking up. Disable the "voice privacy" and see if that helps. Apparently this adds a lot of overhead and actually hinders call quality. open the phone app. upper right 3dots touch it choose settings. next touch call and un check voice privacy. See how that works for you.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I have had the same issue since I have had the phone. Searched on and off until I came across this 2 months ago. No one complains anymore that I am breaking up. Disable the "voice privacy" and see if that helps. Apparently this adds a lot of overhead and actually hinders call quality. open the phone app. upper right 3dots touch it choose settings. next touch call and un check voice privacy. See how that works for you.

Thank you! You had my hopes up. :) Unfortunately, on the Nexus 6P running Android 7, I see no "voice privacy" setting anywhere in the phone app's settings. If I find it elsewhere, I will gladly kill it.

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm on 7 also. I think your not looking in the right place. Try this. open the dialer as if to make a call.upper right corner is the verticle dots in the "search contacts" box. that is where the settings are.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I think the OP does not have the option you're referring to - I'm also on Google Fi and that option isn't in my settings either.

What carrier are YOU with?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
May even have to consider a new phone
Perhaps the problem is not the phone but the carrier? What carrier were you on before you switched to Google Fi?

You certainly could request a replacement from Google and see if reception is any better. Or you could try a prepaid SIM from a different carrier (as long as it's not T-Mobile or Sprint, since that's what Fi uses) and see what happens, although that is going the extra mile.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I think the OP does not have the option you're referring to - I'm also on Google Fi and that option isn't in my settings either.

What carrier are YOU with?

Thanks for confirming. Fi left that option out. I just wonder if it's on by default, and we can't disable it. I'll ask Fi. (Been too sick to deal with them.)

Perhaps the problem is not the phone but the carrier? What carrier were you on before you switched to Google Fi?

You certainly could request a replacement from Google and see if reception is any better. Or you could try a prepaid SIM from a different carrier (as long as it's not T-Mobile or Sprint, since that's what Fi uses) and see what happens, although that is going the extra mile.

I used the phone on Verizon for a while -- no problems reported back then. I am going to ask Fi for another SIM. However, I supposed there are a dozen reasons why this problem occurs beyond just the SIM. smh.

Thanks again guys.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I used the phone on Verizon for a while -- no problems reported back then.
Sounds like the nail in the coffin there - guess Fi coverage happens to be problematic in your usage area. But it can't hurt to try other options.

pamelany80

May 9, 2013
Visit site
See what happens if you turn on/off advanced LTE and restart the phone. If you have it off turn it on, if it's on turn it off. I had advanced LTE off on my phone with Verizon and I had dropped calls and static, turning it on fixed it for me.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
See what happens if you turn on/off advanced LTE and restart the phone. If you have it off turn it on, if it's on turn it off. I had advanced LTE off on my phone with Verizon and I had dropped calls and static, turning it on fixed it for me.

Thank you. I looked in Settings > More > Cellular Networks ... found only 1 setting: Data Roaming, no Advanced LTE setting.

So, I haven't noticed this yet, but without Advanced LTE, this phone does not support simultaneous voice & data, correct? [Tested it ... simultaneous voice & data do work on Fi.] The savings for Fi is starting to lose its appeal. hehe.

Sounds like the nail in the coffin there - guess Fi coverage happens to be problematic in your usage area. But it can't hurt to try other options.

Agreed, Fi may have issues here even though I am in a populous area (Huntington Beach, CA) -- this county is usually covered as well as its sister county, Los Angeles.

Last edited:

TKCOLO95

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm on verizon, direct line of sight from a tower 1 mile away. My 6p has had on and off (mostly on) call quality problems for 10 months. cutting out, in a hole, talking under water. I have tried everything known to man to fix it. New phone. Every setting. every combination of headsets. Nothing worked. I even had verizon techs check out the tower to no avail. I just read the voice privacy setting thing, which I had not seen before. After turning it off, it was good call quality, but no data on the call. Rebooting the hpone fixed that. For 3 calls now, my phone works better than it ever did. I have advanced calling on, but enhanced voice privacy off. If I go back to crappy calls, I'll post back on this.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I'm on verizon, direct line of sight from a tower 1 mile away. My 6p has had on and off (mostly on) call quality problems for 10 months. cutting out, in a hole, talking under water. I have tried everything known to man to fix it. New phone. Every setting. every combination of headsets. Nothing worked. I even had verizon techs check out the tower to no avail. I just read the voice privacy setting thing, which I had not seen before. After turning it off, it was good call quality, but no data on the call. Rebooting the hpone fixed that. For 3 calls now, my phone works better than it ever did. I have advanced calling on, but enhanced voice privacy off. If I go back to crappy calls, I'll post back on this.

Interesting. Glad you got it fixed, TK! Yes, please keep us posted.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
My new Fi sim card hasn't arrived yet. Although, I did a factory reset on my phone a couple days ago -- seems to have corrected the problem. No complaints about my phone calls cutting in and out, yet. Maybe a coincidence since the original problem was inconsistent.

A factory reset is worth a shot for anyone who finds this thread later. :)

angelbones1

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Fi as well, and I certainly have issues. Biggest complaint is dropped calls, or more commonly calls where one party goes silent. Much of the time, but not always, I think it's service. However, there are several adjustments I made. I don't know why this was an issue, but when I was switching between several bluetooth items such as the car, a speaker, a different car, I would notice that bluetooth wouldn't work properly in that the person often couldn't hear me. I had to reboot the phone for it to work. It was as if my bluetooth was getting confused about what and when to connect. Odd problem, but at least I learned to fix it when it happens. The other issue that I used to have more often, but much less now, is that my phone would often be on wifi calling (often without my knowledge) and when I'd move away from the source, I'd lose them. Again, that hasn't happened in a while though. Point is, I have the same issue as it appears many others have.

I like Fi for the most part, as I am always under 1 gig per month. However, last month was a wake up call. I stayed at a relative's house out of state for a week, and they had no wifi. I easily used a gig of data, that one week. After a while, I didn't realize how much I searched for wifi as it had become instinctual to find and use it in my usual places that I go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae