Initial Impressions of OTA .246

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The ota and soak are happening simultaneously as it did for the d4 rollout. Those claiming this is soak only are mistaken. The update gets rolled out in random batches, however, so you never know when you'll get it. But everyone should have it over the next few days.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Speaking for myself, never had it and don't have it now.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I have three bionics that did it . I think it's a function of the headphone sensitivity and your hearing

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

technoweasel

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell if there are any differences between the ota and the ics leaks? I'm on leak 6.7.2233 from a few months ago and I want to know if its worth the hassle of going back to the update path or if I might as well just keep this.

vzzoom

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I have three bionics that did it . I think it's a function of the headphone sensitivity and your hearing

Ya same here, I hand the droid screech on 4 of my bionics and after one of the updates it went away. I'm still waiting for the update so we'll see

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell if there are any differences between the ota and the ics leaks? I'm on leak 6.7.2233 from a few months ago and I want to know if its worth the hassle of going back to the update path or if I might as well just keep this.

The 246 ota and house of bionic 246 are identical. There are improvements in battery life for many, data improvements for others, and other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. I noticed a nice difference in the screen image quality as well as swiping speed and smoothness.
By all means get back on the upgrade path, especially with jellybean now promised to come!

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site

Could be. I've had two bionics myself no problems with either. For what it's worth I'm a piano technician so my hearing is pretty good.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
my headphones are the QC15's (bose) and Koss Porta Pro. I heard the whine easily, on both headsets with the initial release of the Bionic/sw. Then we got an update and it totally went away. I am going to be beyond pissed if it's back and will be giving Verizon a call because I'm sick of the crap we've put up with this phone. I want another phone but don't feel I should have to pay full price. I'd be fine with a several hundred dollar discount (I'm presuming the phone I'll be getting will be around $600+)

technoweasel

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I think i'll probably do that after a week or so once the ota is done rolling out and i know it will be available. I'm actually on I think 232 which was one of the first updates so I'm guessing there will be some small performance improvements if nothing else.
As for JB, hahahahhaha. I know they're saying that now, but I'll probably be eligible for a phone upgrade before that happens.

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
my headphones are the QC15's (bose) and Koss Porta Pro. I heard the whine easily, on both headsets with the initial release of the Bionic/sw. Then we got an update and it totally went away. I am going to be beyond pissed if it's back and will be giving Verizon a call because I'm sick of the crap we've put up with this phone. I want another phone but don't feel I should have to pay full price. I'd be fine with a several hundred dollar discount (I'm presuming the phone I'll be getting will be around $600+)

I hope it works out for you. If that doesn't work you can always get a volume attenuator from Radio Shack. It's just a short extension cable with an inline volume adjustment. It tends to filter out the high pitched whine.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
i have an attenuator built in to the qc15's but my point is that if the whine is present in ICS I'm still going to be pissed because i sometimes want to use my koss and someone was asleep at the wheel, QC-wise at both Moto and Verizon--two corps I pretty much equally despise about now. I'm hoping the report of whine on ICS is a "one off".

also, when using the attenuator, sound is not as dynamic and doesn't play quite as loudly as I like (not that I'm into earth shattering volume, as I have just one working ear). :)

JayND

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely not hearing any high pitch whining, though I do use a $40 set of turtle beach on-ear phones for whatever that's worth.

WebOS Refugee

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Several have no doubt discovered that Flash is gone after the OTA, and the page on which it used to reside in the Google Play Store is no longer live. I've seen various approaches to the problem, but the easiest for me was as follows:

• Make sure that FlashRemoval is disabled (I froze it in Titanium Backup, but Apps / [Menu] / Manage apps / All / FlashRemoval / Disable should work)
  • Go to the Play Store (one way to get there is via the icon in the upper right-hand corner of the Apps screen) / [Menu] / My Apps. The default display is Installed. Select the All column (meaning "every app I've ever installed"), then slide most of the way to the bottom until you see Adobe Flash Player 11 in the same vicinity as all of the other apps that came with the phone, like Citrix Receiver, Netflix and Maps. Selecting Adobe Flash Player 11 will take you to the new, super-secret location in the Play Store, and you can reinstall it from there.

Hope that helps!

JesusG90

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Several have no doubt discovered that Flash is gone after the OTA, and the page on which it used to reside in the Google Play Store is no longer live. I've seen various approaches to the problem, but the easiest for me was as follows:

Hope that helps!

I had no idea that the update would remove Flash. I thought Flash supported up to 4.0. What if you're not rooted? I can still get Flash, right?