[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon to close the upgrade to smartphone then downgrade to basic phone loophole

I know if you transfer the upgrade and pick up in store you have to sign a updated agreement saying u agree to pay for data plan for two years.

Yes we all figured that I'm just saying they are enforcing in store as well.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon to close the upgrade to smartphone then downgrade to basic phone loophole

I know if you transfer the upgrade and pick up in store you have to sign a updated agreement saying u agree to pay for data plan for two years.

Yes we all figured that I'm just saying they are enforcing in store as well.

So you're saying they are enforcing that the UDP has to change to the 2gb data ($30) plan and remain with data for two years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

So you're saying they are enforcing that the UDP has to change to the 2gb data ($30) plan and remain with data for two years?

No, not unless the line the upgrade is transferred to was already unlimited.

If it's a feature line you add data.

I'm currently having mine removed but only bc I purchased before loophole ended.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

No, not unless the line the upgrade is transferred to was already unlimited.

If it's a feature line you add data.

I'm currently having mine removed but only bc I purchased before loophole ended.

So than you're saying that given the transferring of an upgrade verizon is enforcing two contract extensions? One on the UDP and one on the basic because it would make no sense to say the basic has to have a data plan for a duration of 2 years without there being a contract in place.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon How to Both Get a Subsidized Phone and Keep Unlimited Data after 8/24/14

Where does it say two months? Their website says for duration of billing cycle. Did the terms change again or what am I missing?

yvu7eda5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

So than you're saying that given the transferring of an upgrade verizon is enforcing two contract extensions? One on the UDP and one on the basic because it would make no sense to say the basic has to have a data plan for a duration of 2 years without there being a contract in place.

What would your situation be?

The change after 25th is you must have a data plan over 30 a month for duration of contract or two years. Would have no affect on unlimited

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

Did you read the agreement? From what Best Buy is saying and Verizon tier 2 tech support, it is the same line that will have the contract extension and that is the donor line when you do an upgrade transfer.

It's only when you use an upgrade originating on a basic line that a basic line is stuck with the $30/mo 2yr data plan commitment.
No way. It's the line you activate. I know for a fact bc I have a feature line with forced data right now, although it's currently being removed. Granted I didn't transfer upgrades. But all I've been told is the line gets the data agreement not where the upgrade comes from.

It won't make you lose ul. You'll just have to add data to another line and continue to alternate upgrade and resell after a year to make up for lost cost.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

There is absolutely no reason to think that is true. When you transfer a udp line's upgrade to a tiered data plan line, the udp line's contact is extended 2 yrs. Verizon tier 2 tech support and Best Buy reps, none of whom work on commission and thus none of whom have any reason to lie, say the donor line will be stuck with the min $30/mo 2yr data plan requirement just as it is the donor line that has its contract extended 2 yrs.

And since a UDP is only $29.99/mo, you will be kicked off of UDP and onto a 2GB data plan.

See my thoughts here.
Dude think what you want.

Why else then are ppl with 2gb data plans or maxx plans and have other lines with unlimited able to still alternate upgrade then?

italianopera

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Methods that will allow you to both get a subsidized phone and keep UDP after 8/24/14

This method still works on both individual and family plans.
Do you mean that I can just use Best Buy method to order a new smartphone on a basic line which has upgrade, and use the new smartphone on my UDP line without paying $30 for 2 years on the basic line? Will the contract on the basic line extend another 2 years? Thanks.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

Search xda and slick deals. It won't be a problem.

And I've transferred upgrades from my unlimited. It actually extended whatever remaining contract on feature line an additional 2 years. Granted I haven't had to do it often.

Why is everyone else then not upset about it who has multiple lines with unlimited and one with tiered data?

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Verizon How to Both Get a Subsidized Phone and Keep Unlimited Data after 8/24/14

Do you mean that I can just use Best Buy method to order a new smartphone on a basic line which has upgrade, and use the new smartphone on my UDP line without paying $30 for 2 years on the basic line? Will the contract on the basic line extend another 2 years? Thanks.

No that post is referring to the bb method (single line) where you use the new smartphone with the old sim. Nothing to do with a basic line.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

Go ahead and do it and take screen shots and show us that you are right.

Not a single person on any of the AC threads or on any of the other forums where this has been discussed has reported doing it after the 24th. Not.A.Single.Person.

The only method that has been reported to work after the 24th is the Best Buy Method.
I bet you don't even have unlimited data.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

For sure no one has done it on slick deals.

That is completely false. The whole reason many of us are still on contract with our UDP lines is b/c when you transfer the UDP line's upgrade to another line and use it on the other line it is the UDP LINE'S CONTRACT THAT IS EXTENDED 2 YEARS. You have completely discredited yourself now as not understanding at all how the process works.

It has NEVER been the donee line whose contract was extended. NEVER. It has ALWAYS been the donor line whose contract was extended. ALWAYS.
You are so wrong, it is not even funny. I am obviously an exception to some rule. And if I had some way to show you I would gladly have you come over. I have on more than two occasions transferred my upgrade from one of my two unlimited lines to a feature line upgraded the phone and then swaped the phone back to the unlimited line.

Now, I will say that I have two close friends who work for Verizon corporate and maybe that has something to do with it.

Wait let me guess, you are one of the ppl who would have said prior to the 24th that a person with two lines one feature line, and one unlimited line, could have never transferred his upgrade to the feature line. Many claim that causes unlimited data loss but it does not.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

I am done arguing, mods I apologize for this clutter. Please correct this mess as you deem necessary.

Thanks.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

Wrong again. I have 2 UDP lines, one on contract and one off contract. The one on contract is on contract for another year. Given that Verizon stopped allowing us to use UDP upgrades on UDP lines June of 2012, how would that line be on contract still if it doesn't work the way I say? It wouldn't be.

Anyhow, I know the long time posters here know it is the donor line whose contract is extended so you are discredited as not knowing how the process works. Please stop leading the newbs down the wrong path. If you want to lose your own UDP fine, but you don't know what you are talking about so stop misleading people.

As for my off contract UDP line, it will be back on contract by 10/1/14 when I do the BB Method, which is the only method that has been shown to work after the 24th, to preserve my UDP.
All I'm saying is call Verizon. They'll tell you the truth. If you add tiered data, you can continue to alternate upgrade. Gosh, thank goodness I had that remarked on my account too...

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

Mod please remove the false information this poster has posted. He is misleading people.

I know damn well dpham00 knows I am right and it is the donor line whose contract gets extended. I learned this method from him, lol!
I never freaking said ANTYHING negating that. I was just saying that you can continue to alternate upgrade so long as you have at least one tiered data plan! Read the posts! Bye Felicia!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware