[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

chau_mp

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Hey Everyone! First off this has been amazing information thank you! I'm new to the thread as well as the site!

Now, I have read through a lot in this thread so I was hoping to post a clarification for me, just to make sure I can get validation on what I read as well as get some advice!

1) I have a family plan for my mom and me. I have an HTC One M7 with UDP and she has a basic phone with no DP. What I'm planning on doing is switch to the new iPhone on my line when it comes out and switch my mom over to a TDP with my current HTC One. I was thinking of just upgrading her line since she eligible to a TDP with the iPhone then switch the phones around. Will it be a problem because my HTC is a micro sim and the new iPhone (likely and supposedly) will be a nano sim?

2) With the talk of the Network Optimization, I am correct in assuming that that will be affecting all UDP users regardless of On or Off contract, correct? I know on my bill, it states that only those with UDP Off contract will be affected but on the Verizon website FAQ about it, it states any and all (except government and business people with major accounts or something) UDP in the top 5% will be affected.

3) MAN I wish I knew about this forum before. I bought my HTC full price to keep my UDP! I didn't even know about the BB method! Unfortunately, I was a truest thinking only Verizon should handle my cell phone needs. That mindset has definitely changed!

Again, thanks everyone for all this helpful knowledge! It's way better than going in store and asking a worker, cause let's be honest, they work for Big Red, and obviously, Big Red pays them.

P.S. Opinion? Should I do the upgrade through my HTC UDP line with the BB method? then give the phone to the basic line and purchase the TDP? How does that work if I need to boot the new iPhone with the old sim and the sim from my HTC is a micro? Is there really any new advantage to upgrading my UDP line versus upgrading the basic line and switching?

P.P.S. I did a dummy run to see how easy it would be to use the BB method, and I didn't recall reading about this caveat on the BB website about how verizon was discontinuing the UDP and it would be changed to a TDP. Can someone shed some light on that for me? I take it to the end prior to paying, and it states Keep Existing Plan, but that stinkin Conditions Apply is next to it...

[

Attachments

• UDP Caveat.png
    UDP Caveat.png
    235.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Conditions Apply.png
    Conditions Apply.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 49

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: UDP - Just a Little Help (Because I think I turned into my dad)

You will not be able to use the sim cards from the iPhone 4ss.

You have the basic idea. You might want to pick up a SIM cutter from eBay or Amazon if the SIM card sizes are different.

You can go on Swappa or eBay and get a phone for close to $50. Make sure it is Verizon and 4g LTE. Something like an lg lucid 4g. It uses a micro sim. That should work with anything but iphones and Moto phones.

The only problem is you might get stuck with the pending activation after you transfer the first unlimited Upgrade.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Hey Everyone! First off this has been amazing information thank you! I'm new to the thread as well as the site!

Welcome!

1) I have a family plan for my mom and me. I have an HTC One M7 with UDP and she has a basic phone with no DP. What I'm planning on doing is switch to the new iPhone on my line when it comes out and switch my mom over to a TDP with my current HTC One. I was thinking of just upgrading her line since she eligible to a TDP with the iPhone then switch the phones around. Will it be a problem because my HTC is a micro sim and the new iPhone (likely and supposedly) will be a nano sim?

This method would work, though as you are probably aware, it may add a $30/mo. for 2 yr. data plan requirement on the tiered line. At least one other person has directly activated a phone on a different line with an old SIM card and not had the data plan requirement appear (so far), so it may not be an issue. You are also correct in noting SIMs would be somewhat complicated. Others have mentioned being able to activate SIMs online via MyVerizon, but having never done it myself, maybe someone else can chime in on the best way to handle SIMs. It's also possible to cut a SIM to be smaller to make your micro SIM a nano SIM and buy an adapter to get the tiered line's nano SIM to fit in a micro SIM slot.

Verizon also gives you free SIMs at corporate stores. Once you have the phones, you could request a nano SIM for the UDP line and a micro SIM for the tiered line.

2) With the talk of the Network Optimization, I am correct in assuming that that will be affecting all UDP users regardless of On or Off contract, correct? I know on my bill, it states that only those with UDP Off contract will be affected but on the Verizon website FAQ about it, it states any and all (except government and business people with major accounts or something) UDP in the top 5% will be affected.

All of the news reports and the bill notices have included the out of contract language, so the prevailing assumption is that being under contract next month will prevent throttling as a part of network optimization. Is the site you're talking about the old 3G Network Optimization description? I believe the only way to avoid throttling when they began doing it to 3G UDP's was to get a 4G LTE phone.

Opinion? Should I do the upgrade through my HTC UDP line with the BB method? then give the phone to the basic line and purchase the TDP? How does that work if I need to boot the new iPhone with the old sim and the sim from my HTC is a micro? Is there really any new advantage to upgrading my UDP line versus upgrading the basic line and switching?

If throttling is based on contract status, which I believe it is, I would try to get the UDP line under contract. The BB method still works with no changes as a result of the data plan requirements started last month, so it's the "safest" method as of right now. As mentioned above, people have ordered phones via Verizon and not had the data plan requirement stick by using an old UDP SIM in the phone instead of activating it on the upgrading line.

You will probably run into two competing issues, though. With upgrading through Verizon, you probably won't be able to directly upgrade the UDP line even if you use your old SIM when you get the phone as Verizon's system probably processes the UDP->2 GB switch immediately (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). Transferring your upgrade won't work, as your only other line has an upgrade available, which would have to be used before you could transfer your UDP upgrade. This makes BB the best way to upgrade and re-up your contract on the UDP line. But, the BB method requires a phone that is available for shipping to home. It's likely that the new iPhone(s) will not be able to be shipped to home at launch, perhaps for quite a while. If this is the case, you can't use the BB method.

People have also had success going to Costco in the past (you don't need to be a member). You get the phone through Costco, but just like the BB method, don't turn it on with the new SIM and use your old SIM instead. The downside to Costco is that, unlike Best Buy, you don't get a receipt that says "keep current plan"; Costco makes you select a new plan, but as long as the SIM you are given isn't used, the change never happens. I don't recall seeing anyone do this recently though.

P.P.S. I did a dummy run to see how easy it would be to use the BB method, and I didn't recall reading about this caveat on the BB website about how verizon was discontinuing the UDP and it would be changed to a TDP. Can someone shed some light on that for me? I take it to the end prior to paying, and it states Keep Existing Plan, but that stinkin Conditions Apply is next to it...

The prompt has been there for quite awhile, and nobody has lost UDP despite its presence. It may cause a "there's a problem with your order" email, though, and if you get one, cancel the order instead of calling the number. You have 14 days to return the phone and revert your plan even if something does go wrong and you lose UDP.

f4d3

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

I have a family plan, line #1 has unlimited data, line #2 has tiered 2 gb data. So what are the options I have to keep my unlimited data plan?

odorfreedk

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

So to my understanding, if you transfer an eligible upgrade from the UDP line to a TDP line and upgrade/buy new phone with the TDP line, the UDP won't lose the unlimited data? I asked a verizon rep about this and told me that you would surely lose it. I was eligible to upgrade with my UDP line last year but wasn't sure if transferring my upgrade to another line and using that line to buy a phone would get ride of my unlimited data. So please take a look at my scenario:

1. UDP line (eligible upgrade)
2. TDP line
3. Basic phone

If I transfer my UDP line upgrade to TDP line and buy the phone using the TDP line and put my UDP sim card straight into the new phone without turning it on, I would keep my UDP? Then in terms of contract, is that renewing my UDP line contract or the TDP contract? Help needed for my droid razr maxx is about to fail me :(

odorfreedk

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

Okay I'm the new brave person everybody has been waiting to see put their money and plan on the line. Here's what I just did.

I have 3 phones on my family plan. 1 is UDP, 1 is 2gb tier, 1 is a feature phone (ignore this entirely right now)
I transferred the upgrade from my UDP line to the 2gb tier line on verizonwireless.com
I bought a LG G3 from verizonwireless.com on the 2gb tier line on 8/29/2014.
I took the SIM card from my UDP line and put it in the LG G3 (same size thankfully)
Turned on the LG G3 with UDP SIM. Phone recognized the SIM and activated the device on its own with my UDP phone #.
I went to verizonwireless.com to my account. Account shows LG G3 activated on my UDP line and still shows UNLIMITED DATA
Contract on the UDP line has been extended by 2 years.

Not gonna lie I was nervous as all hell from reading this flamefest about what works and this and that and speculation running wild. Took a chance and it worked. I trusted the SIM card to do the magic people were already vouching for. Althought I was considering returning this to try BB method but I wanted to stay strong. I can provide more proof if the vast majority of you don't believe it otherwise here's my device with UDP intact as of tonight.

View attachment 135263

So to my understanding, if you transfer an eligible upgrade from the UDP line to a TDP line and upgrade/buy new phone with the TDP line, the UDP won't lose the unlimited data? I asked a verizon rep about this and told me that you would surely lose it. I was eligible to upgrade with my UDP line last year but wasn't sure if transferring my upgrade to another line and using that line to buy a phone would get ride of my unlimited data. So please take a look at my scenario:

1. UDP line (eligible upgrade)
2. TDP line
3. Basic phone

If I transfer my UDP line upgrade to TDP line and buy the phone using the TDP line and put my UDP sim card straight into the new phone without turning it on, I would keep my UDP? Then in terms of contract, is that renewing my UDP line contract or the TDP contract? Help needed for my droid razr maxx is about to fail me :(

CrimsnTide

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

WOW - Don't watch much college football on Saturdays, do you?

It's a very informative post and I do appreciate taking the time writing it. I have to admit though, I need to read it again.

It throws me for a loop after having Line 2 (iPhone 6) all set, and then REMOVING the SIM card to place in the 2nd upgraded phone.

I get it, (kind of), I'm just trying to JUSTIFY reason why. But I can Follow directions and will read/learn your post word for word.

Not that it matters now, but I do have "access" and have in my possession a Samsung Galaxy S III. My friend had one and brought it over after a few inquiries. It doesn't have a SIM but that's easily rectified. I thought about activating the Galaxy S III on one of my EXISTING lines with UDP. With this, I guess I have a SIM card at my disposal without starting the upgrade process. I know they're (Verizon) is looking. I just don't want to throw up too many red flags during my upgrading.

MarcoDiamond - Thanks again for the VERY descriptive post and taking the time to help me out. My days of "doing" it are just over with and I'm left with having to read - read - do it wrong - read again - and do it over..... I do appreciate your time and hopefully I can look cool again with my stepsons.... Thanks again...

odorfreedk

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

How should I go about the procedure when I'm trying to upgrade at best buy? I'm assuming transfer the upgrade from UDP to a TDP first? When/how should I insert the sim card? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

How should I go about the procedure when I'm trying to upgrade at best buy? I'm assuming transfer the upgrade from UDP to a TDP first? When/how should I insert the sim card? Thanks for the help!

When you use the BB method, you are upgrading the UDP line directly; no transfers of upgrades are necessary. You select a phone available online for shipping to your house, upgrade your line, and select keep your current data plan. When the phone arrives, DO NOT POWER IT ON; instead, take out the included SIM card and put your old SIM card in. No plan change made, contract on UDP line extended.

The method in post 1962 does involve transferring your upgrade to a tiered line. Like the BB method, you do not turn the phone on with the included SIM card, but rather use the SIM from your current UDP phone when you turn the phone on for the first time. According to what Scyzek has posted, the requirement for a data plan on the UDP line for 2 years does not show up (this is why you must not use the included SIM with the phone), but your UDP line contract is still extended by 2 years.

CrimsnTide

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

Maybe it sounded as though I needed/wanted to JUSTIFY the method you laid and the way it works. This is definitely NOT the case. Once again, I appreciate the in-depth process and the time to write it out. It was well written, and I'm sure other idiots such as myself will learn from it. Thank you. My statement was purely related to the company/business side of it. It appears that they (Verizon) WANT the UDP to just disappear. Just short of flipping the switch, it appears they have done so. I was just wondering "out loud" if they know they have missed this. Or, maybe everyone is not in my position to have had a "tiered" plan within my family plan? I have to tell you, I was PISSED that they didn't switch over my "tiered line". I thought I did switch ALL my lines over, but at the time, that line did NOT have a smart phone attached.

Again, I DO appreciate your help and time given to write out the post.

Thank you very much.

odorfreedk

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

When you use the BB method, you are upgrading the UDP line directly; no transfers of upgrades are necessary. You select a phone available online for shipping to your house, upgrade your line, and select keep your current data plan. When the phone arrives, DO NOT POWER IT ON; instead, take out the included SIM card and put your old SIM card in. No plan change made, contract on UDP line extended.

The method in post 1962 does involve transferring your upgrade to a tiered line. Like the BB method, you do not turn the phone on with the included SIM card, but rather use the SIM from your current UDP phone when you turn the phone on for the first time. According to what Scyzek has posted, the requirement for a data plan on the UDP line for 2 years does not show up (this is why you must not use the included SIM with the phone), but your UDP line contract is still extended by 2 years.

Thanks for your reply! Will this work if I were to go to a best buy store directly and do it? I like to do it in store BC they price match amazon and I can get the phone right away. How would I do this in store?

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your reply! Will this work if I were to go to a best buy store directly and do it? I like to do it in store BC they price match amazon and I can get the phone right away. How would I do this in store?

It may be difficult to do it in store as the rep may insist on using the new sim card that comes with the phone. You may have luck calling bb and see if they will price match over the phone for your order but I have not tried this myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GearHead71

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I think that the new Moto X uses a nano SIM which might make it harder as I have a galaxy S3 right now with a micro SIM.

Posted via Android Central App

CrimsnTide

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

Hmmm... Sounds familiar. Can you say DirecTV and the P4 card?

Once again, thanks for your help.

In addition, you have answered what would have been my next question which would have been "Can I move the user (number) with the LEAST amount of data to the tiered line (2GB)?" By your posting above, it appears that I can.

I'm ALMOST embarrassed to note that it APPEARS that it is ME, not my wife, who uses the least amount of data - on average....

Thanks again for your remarks and posts. I will post back my findings/accomplishments/failures? IF anyone is interested.

milkisss

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

FWIW, my invoice had sales tax on it.

Most of the S5's at BB are not available for shipping right now, so that may be your problem. That said, BB is the best place to upgrade and keep UDP right now. I upgraded through Verizon with an upgrade transfer prior to the rule change last month.

Is the BB method you are referring here the same thing as

1. Purchase phone via BB website & get it shipped, selecting "keep existing plan"
2. Once phone arrives, insert OLD sim card and throw away the new sim card that came with it?

Also, with the loophole that closed on 8/24.. is this only referring to the method where the "basic" phone's upgrade was used to get a new phone? (then use old sim, and drop the data that came on the basic)

I have 3 smart phones on family line, one UDP and two 2g plans. They will all be eligible for upgrade in Feb.
I was thinking of doing "swapping" upgrades, where

1) Get a new phone on 2g line
2) When phone arrives, insert old sim card of UDP into the phone (throw away the sim that came with it)
3) Transfer UDP upgrade to 2g line
4) 2g line can use the sim card that came with the phone

This was my plan but not sure if it will still work with the change/loophole block youguys have been mentioning here. Thanks! :D

GearHead71

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

Ok thanks, I also thought I read something about being able to get a nano SIM through Verizon while keeping your unlimited data. Is that true?

milkisss

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

Ooooh oops I might have made it unclear, I meant 2g as in smart phone with limited (2gb) data plan, not 2G. All phones on our family plan have $30 data plans. I am not sure if that will make a difference in your answer.

Then I guess I could just do the step 4, but instead of using the SIM that came with the new phone, insert the old SIM card (of the limited data plan phone)? Sort of like my step 2 (but this time the upgrade will be from UDP, and the old SIM will be from 2GB data phone)

BB sounds like the simplest method here though. Is there a reason why some people look for another route than doing the BB method? Is this not 100% guaranteed?

milkisss

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

Okay I'm the new brave person everybody has been waiting to see put their money and plan on the line. Here's what I just did.

I have 3 phones on my family plan. 1 is UDP, 1 is 2gb tier, 1 is a feature phone (ignore this entirely right now)
I transferred the upgrade from my UDP line to the 2gb tier line on verizonwireless.com
I bought a LG G3 from verizonwireless.com on the 2gb tier line on 8/29/2014.
I took the SIM card from my UDP line and put it in the LG G3 (same size thankfully)
Turned on the LG G3 with UDP SIM. Phone recognized the SIM and activated the device on its own with my UDP phone #.
I went to verizonwireless.com to my account. Account shows LG G3 activated on my UDP line and still shows UNLIMITED DATA
Contract on the UDP line has been extended by 2 years.

Not gonna lie I was nervous as all hell from reading this flamefest about what works and this and that and speculation running wild. Took a chance and it worked. I trusted the SIM card to do the magic people were already vouching for. Althought I was considering returning this to try BB method but I wanted to stay strong. I can provide more proof if the vast majority of you don't believe it otherwise here's my device with UDP intact as of tonight.

View attachment 135263

thanks, please give us updates once you get the pending off!

GearHead71

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!

GreenMunky

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I have a feature phone on a $9.99/mo basic line which has an upgrade available on my plan, but I'd like to upgrade my current smartphone which doesn't have an upgrade available for another 14 months. Since you can no longer transfer upgrades from one line to another, I'm wondering if the BestBuy.com method may work for me. Rather than BB.com, I'm planning to go through MotoMaker.com which uses the same ordering system. If I purchase the phone using the basic line's upgrade, but replace the SIM card of the new device with my current SIM card prior to turning it on, will my feature phone's line be affected? If this method can be used to preserve an UDP line, can it work to preserve a feature phone's plan while allowing the upgrade to be used on another line? I appreciate any insight!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci