[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

All....
So I I went to the Verizon website today and transferred my UDP upgrade to a tired line and upgraded the teired line to the Turbo 2.

My question is what do I do when the phone come in?
1. Activate it on the tired line, use it for a couple hours and then swap the SIMS?
2. Don't activate it on the tired line and before I turn the Turbo 2 on, just put in the UDP SIM?

Also, when I was at the Verizon store the other day, they told me that the SIM from my DROID MAXX would not work in the Turbo 2 because the Turbo 2 "requires a NFC SIM".

Can anyone verify this? and if this is true, what would the steps be to get the correct SIM?

Thanks!
DROIDUSERHD

The Verizon reps are idiots. The Droid Maxx and Turbo 2 both use a nano SIM. It will work perfectly.

As for the steps, I would activate it on the tiered line for an hour or two only to clear out the pending activation. It really doesn't matter if you have no plans on changing your plan any time soon.

Karalegria

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site

Hey all,
Not sure if I am posting correctly but I just ordered an iphone 6s plus on BB
I have
1 udp- iphone (upgrade eligible)
1 basic phone
I want to upgrade one of my udp lines.

I transferred the upgrade from one line to the basic line but was prompted to enter all of my billing, ss and password info. I hope doing this doesnt get me stuck with a tiered data plan.

Am I OKAY to just swap SIMs from my current iphone (UDP Line) to the new iphone 6s plus?
THANKS!

zoxxo

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

How many lines are on your account and what type of phones are on the lines?

Also, can you take a screenshot of the error message from Best Buy as something doesn't seem right.

OK, something weird is going on here. I've been trying for at last two weeks to make the BB method work only to receive a response that my line was not eligible and to see a 2014 date as the reason. This morning I go to take a screen shot of the issue and as I go through the process it tells me that I am eligible for the upgrade with a two year extension.

But the paranoid person in me wants to go over the details to make sure I do it right so that I don't lose my UDP. Also, has anyone tried this method over the last couple of days successfully?

I have two lines:

UDP: primary line, upgrade available, month-to-month
TDP: upgrade available, month-to-month

When I run through the upgrade process on BB's website, I choose upgrade my device. On the same page it says me my line will be upgraded to a TDP, but my understanding is that I can ignore that message and my UDP will stay intact. At the end of eligibility check, it tells me that the upgrade is available with a two year extension on my contract. Following these steps will reward me with a new phone at an upgrade price with my current UDP price extended to two years. I understand that when I receive the phone I will take the SIM out of my current phone and put it in the new phone. At no time during this process am I to involve Verizon Wireless. I understand that if they do change my data plan that I should be able to verify this within a week of the purchase on the Verizon website.

I've heard that some people have had Verizon change them to a TDP but some have returned the new phone and been able to argue the issue with Verizon to get their UDP back

I'm probably nuts for doing this because I'm trading a 128GB s6 Edge for a 64GB Note 5, but I've never really been thrilled with the novelty of the curved screen, and I like the idea of the bigger screen on the Note 5. Comments please! Poke holes in my plan and/or tell me of other options. TIA for your feedback!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Just a quick update: went in and got the new LG V10 hassle free from the corporate store, out of contract, UDP intact. I'm going to write a good yelp review for the woman who did it for me. Thanks to those who put two cents in on what to do.
You paid full price right? That has never been a problem.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

My concern with the Best Buy method is that Verizon doesn't raise my unlimited data $20. If it does, then I'm screwed since I'm in a two year contract and wouldn't be able to change to the regular Verizon monthly plan

Posted via the Android Central App

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Hey all,
Not sure if I am posting correctly but I just ordered an iphone 6s plus on BB
I have
1 udp- iphone (upgrade eligible)
1 basic phone
I want to upgrade one of my udp lines.

I transferred the upgrade from one line to the basic line but was prompted to enter all of my billing, ss and password info. I hope doing this doesnt get me stuck with a tiered data plan.

Am I OKAY to just swap SIMs from my current iphone (UDP Line) to the new iphone 6s plus?
THANKS!

Just don't activate the iPhone on the basic line and you'll dodge that charge. When the 6s plus arrives, remove and destroy its SIM card. Then take your current SIM and put it in the 6s plus. Now enjoy a new phone!

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

OK, something weird is going on here. I've been trying for at last two weeks to make the BB method work only to receive a response that my line was not eligible and to see a 2014 date as the reason. This morning I go to take a screen shot of the issue and as I go through the process it tells me that I am eligible for the upgrade with a two year extension.

But the paranoid person in me wants to go over the details to make sure I do it right so that I don't lose my UDP. Also, has anyone tried this method over the last couple of days successfully?

I have two lines:

UDP: primary line, upgrade available, month-to-month
TDP: upgrade available, month-to-month

When I run through the upgrade process on BB's website, I choose upgrade my device. On the same page it says me my line will be upgraded to a TDP, but my understanding is that I can ignore that message and my UDP will stay intact. At the end of eligibility check, it tells me that the upgrade is available with a two year extension on my contract. Following these steps will reward me with a new phone at an upgrade price with my current UDP price extended to two years. I understand that when I receive the phone I will take the SIM out of my current phone and put it in the new phone. At no time during this process am I to involve Verizon Wireless. I understand that if they do change my data plan that I should be able to verify this within a week of the purchase on the Verizon website.

I've heard that some people have had Verizon change them to a TDP but some have returned the new phone and been able to argue the issue with Verizon to get their UDP back

I'm probably nuts for doing this because I'm trading a 128GB s6 Edge for a 64GB Note 5, but I've never really been thrilled with the novelty of the curved screen, and I like the idea of the bigger screen on the Note 5. Comments please! Poke holes in my plan and/or tell me of other options. TIA for your feedback!

You are right on the money. The key thing is getting the phone shipped. Once that happens, your contract will be extended and everything will be all good.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

I understand the extension of the unlimited data for another two years, but how does this avoid Verizon charging us an additional $20 on November 15th

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

I understand the extension of the unlimited data for another two years, but how does this avoid Verizon charging us an additional $20 on November 15th

Plans under contract won't get the $20/Month price increase.
This doesn't extend udp, it extends your contract date.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

If I'm not under contract, then this might not help me?

If you are month-to-month, you will be charged in extra $20 per month to keep unlimited. People are doing these methods to get back under contract in order to not pay the extra $20 a month. Going under contract will save you $480 over the next two years for each line of unlimited you have. Even if you don't need a new phone, you can always upgrade and flip it for a profit.

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site

If you are month-to-month, you will be charged in extra $20 per month to keep unlimited. People are doing these methods to get back under contract in order to not pay the extra $20 a month. Going under contract will save you $480 over the next two years for each line of unlimited you have. Even if you don't need a new phone, you can always upgrade and flip it for a profit.

That's why I'm stressing over what I should do. After the BBM snafu I show a 2 year contract on my UDP lines and no upgrades available. Do I leave it as is and hope the 2 year contract stays on the account or do I contact them to get my upgrades restored and go back to M2M and then try the BBM again????

whyteowl

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

I am in need of some help!!
I've got four lines right now... looks like this

L1: UDP (motoX 1st Gen) Out of contract/upgradable
L2: UDP (motoX 1st Gen) Out of contract/upgradable
L3: basic phone Out of contract
L4: basic phone Out of contract

L1 and L2 would like new phones, but more importantly, would like to avoid the price increase coming Nov. 15th. L3 and L4 are comfortable staying where they are, and were prefer to be left alone.

When looking at what phone to get, the Droid Turbo 2 seems appealing, but looks like it is unavailable for shipping from Best Buy's website. What are my options???

Thank you so much for all the hard work you guys do maintaining this thread. There is so much information here, I hope you can simplify this for me. I'm getting sick at the thought of having to shell out an extra $500 each year to keep our UDP, and even sicker at the thought of losing it altogether!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

That's why I'm stressing over what I should do. After the BBM snafu I show a 2 year contract on my UDP lines and no upgrades available. Do I leave it as is and hope the 2 year contract stays on the account or do I contact them to get my upgrades restored and go back to M2M and then try the BBM again????

How long ago was this snafu?

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site

How long ago was this snafu?

Order was placed Halloween night and cancelled Sunday . As of today my account at Verizon still reflects no upgrades avaiIable, but I'm in contract for 2 years on the lines. I think I was cursed by the holiday...

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

I went through a nightmare with CS to get my unlimited data plan back after an order through best buy like yours

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site

I went through a nightmare with CS to get my unlimited data plan back after an order through best buy like yours

I still have unlimited data thankfully but when BB called me the day after I placed my order the girl wanted the last 4 digits of my SS and my 4 digit Verizon billing code so she could access my account to make sure "everything was ok". From what everyone has said, if I'd given their back office access I would have lost my UDP so I declined and had her cancel everything.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

Btw if I need to can I return a phone ordered online BB to a BB store for an exchange?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick