[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

That's why I'm stressing over what I should do. After the BBM snafu I show a 2 year contract on my UDP lines and no upgrades available. Do I leave it as is and hope the 2 year contract stays on the account or do I contact them to get my upgrades restored and go back to M2M and then try the BBM again????

If you don't need new phones, then I would leave things as is. You are under contract and will avoid the fee.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site

If you don't need new phones, then I would leave things as is. You are under contract and will avoid the fee.

We don't need the phones as we had just purchased 2 Motorola Pure's at full boat. It would be nice to have a couple of subsidized phones to flip but the real purpose of going through all of this was to avoid the $20/mo increase on 2 lines for the next 2 years. We have Motorcare on both of our new phones and a S3 as back up if needed so no worries there.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I am in need of some help!!
I've got four lines right now... looks like this

L1: UDP (motoX 1st Gen) Out of contract/upgradable
L2: UDP (motoX 1st Gen) Out of contract/upgradable
L3: basic phone Out of contract
L4: basic phone Out of contract

L1 and L2 would like new phones, but more importantly, would like to avoid the price increase coming Nov. 15th. L3 and L4 are comfortable staying where they are, and were prefer to be left alone.

When looking at what phone to get, the Droid Turbo 2 seems appealing, but looks like it is unavailable for shipping from Best Buy's website. What are my options???

Thank you so much for all the hard work you guys do maintaining this thread. There is so much information here, I hope you can simplify this for me. I'm getting sick at the thought of having to shell out an extra $500 each year to keep our UDP, and even sicker at the thought of losing it altogether!

You can cross upgrade through Verizon if you want the Turbo 2. Order the phone line 1 wants through line 2's upgrade. When it arrives just use the SIM from line 1. Do the opposite for line 2's Turbo.

It's a rarely used method that works through Verizon's website when Best Buy is not shipping the phone you want.

zoxxo

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

To the folks who helped me out today, thank you! I just ordered the Note 5 and already my account shows as extended to 2017 with UDP intact. I'll check out the Note 5 and if I don't like it I'll flip it. At least I've kept Verizon off my back for another 2 years...

zoxxo

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site

I'm asking this for a friend. He has UDP on his phone, but he's not the primary account holder. Would he be able to use the BB method to upgrade his phone and lock in UDP? While he's not the primary account holder, he does have admin privileges on the account...

bowlnhokie

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

I was hoping for some suggestions and/or assistance. I have an old 1400 minutes family plan with 4 lines with UD. I would like to keep unlimited and uprgrade my phones via Best Buy method. Is this possible?

Would I just go online, one at a time and buy the phones via best buy under contract, say the Note 5. Wait to get the phones and destroy the sims that came with it and just put the SIM from our Droid Maxx's in the new phones?

I think this would extend my contract 2 yrs (eliminating the $20 a month surcharge per line) but will I still have unlimitted data?

4 UDP lines out of contract / upgrade available
1 5gb smart phone

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

This new promo might persuade me to try the BB method this week.
Single line on UDP. Contract expired in 2014.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&nrp=15&cp=1&sp=-bestsellingsort%20skuidsaas&seeAll=&_dyncharset=UTF-8&ks=960&sc=Global&list=y&usc=All%20Categories&type=page&iht=n&browsedCategory=pcmcat748300511454&st=categoryid$pcmcat748300511454&qp=carrier_facet=Carrier~Verizon%20Wireless&icmp=VerizonNovq415-211639661-161744141-47146565621

Update: Scratch that. Just called and it is an in-store promo only.
2nd Update: I went ahead and ordered online and I got the $100 gift card promo. Just have to activate the phone prior to 11/15/15.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

So what is the verdict on the BB method? Still working? order the phone, have it shipped and then put in sim from the phone I already have?

whyteowl

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

You can cross upgrade through Verizon if you want the Turbo 2. Order the phone line 1 wants through line 2's upgrade. When it arrives just use the SIM from line 1. Do the opposite for line 2's Turbo.

It's a rarely used method that works through Verizon's website when Best Buy is not shipping the phone you want.

Is this method risky? I am staring at the screen right now on Verizon's website that wants me to choose new data plans to proceed. I'm terrified to pick one. I don't want to be stuck without my UDP. Has there been success with this method recently? I made sure that the phone my wife will use is ordered on my line and vice versa. And we know not to turn them on until we bury the sim cards. But I mean we ARE ordering straight from Verizon and choosing a data plan through them.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

So what is the verdict on the BB method? Still working? order the phone, have it shipped and then put in sim from the phone I already have?
I wanted to transfer upgrade from udp to tdp then order phone from tdp. My concern is this process will extend tdp to 2 year contract rather than the udp I wish to extend and add a new note 5 to. I don't get how ordering from the tdp phone number extends the udp with an entirely different phone number.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I wanted to transfer upgrade from udp to tdp then order phone from tdp. My concern is this process will extend tdp to 2 year contract rather than the udp I wish to extend and add a new note 5 to. I don't get how ordering from the tdp phone number extends the udp with an entirely different phone number.

Because the contract it is extending is the one with the upgrade which is your UDP. At least that's what the reps used to always tell me in the store.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Ok so after I finished the order it said keep existing plan. Having it shipped to me, so will see if everything stays the same.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I was hoping for some suggestions and/or assistance. I have an old 1400 minutes family plan with 4 lines with UD. I would like to keep unlimited and uprgrade my phones via Best Buy method. Is this possible?

Would I just go online, one at a time and buy the phones via best buy under contract, say the Note 5. Wait to get the phones and destroy the sims that came with it and just put the SIM from our Droid Maxx's in the new phones?

I think this would extend my contract 2 yrs (eliminating the $20 a month surcharge per line) but will I still have unlimitted data?

4 UDP lines out of contract / upgrade available
1 5gb smart phone

That's right on the money.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

It will extend the contract from where the upgrade originated from.

Karalegria

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site

great I received confirmation that it has been shipped and I should be receiving my new phone tomorrow
now when i logged onto my account it reads that my basic phone has a contract end date of 2017 and the line i transferred the upgrade from (UDP) also has an upgrade date of 2017. Now if I understand correctly 1 of 2 of my UDP will be charged an extra $2:p0 a month?

Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 8.53.14 PM.png

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

Is this method risky? I am staring at the screen right now on Verizon's website that wants me to choose new data plans to proceed. I'm terrified to pick one. I don't want to be stuck without my UDP. Has there been success with this method recently? I made sure that the phone my wife will use is ordered on my line and vice versa. And we know not to turn them on until we bury the sim cards. But I mean we ARE ordering straight from Verizon and choosing a data plan through them.

It works, but I definitely understand the concern.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

great I received confirmation that it has been shipped and I should be receiving my new phone tomorrow
now when i logged onto my account it reads that my basic phone has a contract end date of 2017 and the line i transferred the upgrade from (UDP) also has an upgrade date of 2017. Now if I understand correctly 1 of 2 of my UDP will be charged an extra $2:p0 a month?

View attachment 204614

Correct. Now if you upgrade the other line, you'll dodge both charges for two years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick