[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Can a SIM be reprogrammed when switched from one number to another, or another SIM is necessary?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Can a SIM be reprogrammed when switched from one number to another, or another SIM is necessary?

I was able to move a new phone to another line while never changing the SIM card. Was a transfer upgrade to keep unlimited. If you have a problem you can get a new SIM from a store at no cost. Just tell them you need a new SIM but not why.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

So my scenario:

2 Smartphone lines:
Line 1, Unlimited data with available upgrade.
Line 2, 2 Gigs data, no available upgrade...

So if I transfer the upgrade from the first line to the second line, then I upgrade the second line...once it is active I can do a sim swap and I'll keep my unlimited data on the first line?

Sorry for asking, but I didn't see this exact scenario in recent replies...

peters4n6

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

I was able to move a new phone to another line while never changing the SIM card. Was a transfer upgrade to keep unlimited. If you have a problem you can get a new SIM from a store at no cost. Just tell them you need a new SIM but not why.

So from what you're saying, it's likely that the SIM card that comes with a new phone can "assume the identity" of your old SIM card with a call to Verizon (or through some sort of online support assistance?

Simon_y7

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

I'd have to change the SIM because the old one is of the wrong size. Now, when the phone is activated on my wife's dumb line, it would have a brand new SIM with some kind of her information. Then, when the phone is moved to my line, what happens to her just activated SIM? Can it be so reprogrammed as to have the info from my old, wrong size SIM?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I'd have to change the SIM because the old one is of the wrong size. Now, when the phone is activated on my wife's dumb line, it would have a brand new SIM with some kind of her information. Then, when the phone is moved to my line, what happens to her just activated SIM? Can it be so reprogrammed as to have the info from my old, wrong size SIM?

Just read what I wrote. I transferred a upgrade from my unlimited line to a limited line, got the phone, activated it go that limited line. Activated the old phone back on to it. Then put the new phone with the acne SIM it came with to my unlimited line. Did this all online, did not have to change the SIM card.

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site

You could move to T-Mobile and get unlimited data for a lot less

Posted via Android Central App

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

A SIM can be reprogrammed.

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site

Just read what I wrote. I transferred a upgrade from my unlimited line to a limited line, got the phone, activated it go that limited line. Activated the old phone back on to it. Then put the new phone with the acne SIM it came with to my unlimited line. Did this all online, did not have to change the SIM card.

Ditto...

Sent from my VS980 4G using AC Forums mobile app

dgcamero

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

You could move to T-Mobile and get unlimited data for a lot less

Posted via Android Central App

But not such a great idea when you literally only have one choice for unlimited high speed internet in the area you reside and that's Verizon's $29.99 unlimited data with Verizon's add-on $30 a month unlimited 4G LTE mobile hotspot. Oh yeah, and T-Mobile only has 2G roaming here. Dang I wish there was cable or dsl here! It would be so much less expensive.

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site

When I did mine, I talked to VZW customer chat and had them wipe the SIM card and assign it to my line. Some people have reported the SIM card switching automatically without them having to do anything extra, so your mileage may vary.

Both times I've done it I had VZW customer support chat wipe the SIM card for me. Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

jlmorris

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

lol well I went to my local VZW store and I talked to the rep about doing the switch and he said that he does the same thing, but since I used my flip phone line already for an upgrade like last year, I would have to add ANOTHER flip phone line to use for its upgrade. He also said that now the terms have changed and that I would forfeit my unlimited on my own smartphone line if I transferred the upgrade to the flip phone line

About a week and a half ago I transferred my upgrade to from my own unlimited line to my wife's line, didn't change mine. I doubt the Verizon rep really knew what he was talking about. But I guess you never know.

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site

About a week and a half ago I transferred my upgrade to from my own unlimited line to my wife's line, didn't change mine. I doubt the Verizon rep really knew what he was talking about. But I guess you never know.

Sadly turns out its true, :/ they changed their policy because people were using the loophole. Just letting you guys know this doesn't work anymore :(

peters4n6

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Sadly turns out its true, :/ they changed their policy because people were using the loophole. Just letting you guys know this doesn't work anymore :(

as of when? today?

also (and here's a stupid question): everyone talks about transferring their upgrade from their unlimited line to their dumb phone line. i assume there is nothing magic about this transfer; I assume if one already has an upgrade available on their dumb phone, you're good to go.

can anyone confirm or refute what nyry is saying?

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

as of when? today?

also (and here's a stupid question): everyone talks about transferring their upgrade from their unlimited line to their dumb phone line. i assume there is nothing magic about this transfer; I assume if one already has an upgrade available on their dumb phone, you're good to go.

can anyone confirm or refute what nyry is saying?

If you already have a upgrade on a line (dumbphone) then you have to use it, you can't transfer another one to it. But you can still upgrade the dumbphone line and do the phone switch. After that you can then transfer the upgrade and do it all over for another phone if you want too.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I doubt very much that they changed anything, in fact I would put money on it that they didn't. Life I told you earlier you talked to a rep and that's the mistake.

It's like this, as a child you ask your mom for a cookie before dinner and she says no. But if you don't ask you get to enjoy the cookie!

peters4n6

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Are there any 3rd party resellers where one can accomplish this transfer to keep unlimited data? (e.g., costco) I believe i read earlier that one could run into a nasty ETF fee doing this with sam's club, wirefly, walmart etc... I'm looking for a note 3,but the current deals are not with verizon directly...hopefully in the coming weeks the note 3 will hit or break the $200 level.

As an aside I was at costco about a week ago looking at the note3 and lamenting to the rep that i was sticking with my thunderbolt to keep my unlimited data. he immediately said he could hook me up and make sure i kept it. i coyly asked him how but he said he wouldn't share. wonder if he was blowing smoke to make the sale.

took2089

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

Are there any 3rd party resellers where one can accomplish this transfer to keep unlimited data? (e.g., costco) I believe i read earlier that one could run into a nasty ETF fee doing this with sam's club, wirefly, walmart etc... I'm looking for a note 3,but the current deals are not with verizon directly...hopefully in the coming weeks the note 3 will hit or break the $200 level.

As an aside I was at costco about a week ago looking at the note3 and lamenting to the rep that i was sticking with my thunderbolt to keep my unlimited data. he immediately said he could hook me up and make sure i kept it. i coyly asked him how but he said he wouldn't share. wonder if he was blowing smoke to make the sale.

Costco best buy and Verizon it can be done at.

oldhifi

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I upgraded to Note 3 and transferred mine at the Verizon store, no problems ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana