[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction]How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

I think verizon fixed this loophole. I am getting "current Unlimited Data package is no longer available - Need to select a new package below..." when I am switching phones between my lines.

This is also NOT working even if I buy the phone full price.

I get, The device you've selected is not compatible with your current plan. Please select a Data Plan below. Using iPhone 4s and upgrade to iPhone 4
You can't do this online anymore. You have to call or go into a store and have them do it.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Relative on an unlimited individual plan had an upgrade and used it through bestbuy.com. System warned him he would lose unlimited and told him to select a new plan, he didn't select a new plan and when he got to the check out screen it said keep current plan. Received phone and was still on unlimited before he activated the new phone but then once he activated, he was switched to the 2GB data plan.

Called verizon and rep told him that this was done automatically by the system. The verizon rep claims they are going to honor the bestbuy.com paper work and switch him back to unlimited since it said keep current plan and let him keep the subsidized phone but so far, they haven't done it. He will be calling again tomorrow and if not, returning the phone and getting them to switch him back to unlimited.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

The verizon rep claims they are going to honor the bestbuy.com paper work and switch him back to unlimited since it said keep current plan and let him keep the subsidized phone but so far, they haven't done it. He will be calling again tomorrow and if not, returning the phone and getting them to switch him back to unlimited.
Good news to report - they switched him back to unlimited! He had to call again but when he did the rep said it was in the system to switch him back. It was supposed to be done automatically, but it didn't so good thing he called again.

Moral of this story - keep calling until you get a rep who will switch you back!

Meadowlands

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

Hey guys,

I wanted to know if this will work:

I have a family plan with two lines, both have unlimited.

I want to add a line and get the DNA from BB. Will BB price match amazon?

If so, I want to activate the DNA, transfer it to my line, then adda dumb phone to the 3rd line.

Will this work? Not sure on what BB's PM policy is.

The next thing is my wife has a droid 3. Was going to switch my rezound to her line if I get the DNA. Will this work as well since it is 3g to 4g?

Thanks!

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Will BB price match amazon?
Some will, some won't. You won't know until you try. You can also try Best Buy Mobile Solutions ebay to see what their price is because it can be different than Best Buy online or in stores. Right now it is $50 for the DNA but the price varies just like Amazon's price varies. On another thread, a guy was able to buy through Best Buy Mobile Solutions ebay and have it shipped to the store then when he activated it in store, he was given the $50 gift card that he signed up for in February.

https://ebay.bbymsolutions.com/detail/htc-droid-dna-4g-lte-mobile-phone-black-verizon-wireless-/2525

If so, I want to activate the DNA, transfer it to my line, then add a dumb phone to the 3rd line.

Will this work?
Worked for me!

Not sure on what BB's PM policy is.
Some Best Buys will only match local ads, but others will match online ads.

The next thing is my wife has a droid 3. Was going to switch my rezound to her line if I get the DNA. Will this work as well since it is 3g to 4g?
Yes, but you have to get a new SIM card for the rezound to do that. Also, recheck your account after you do that to make sure they don't switch the line off of unlimited. If they do, you have 14 days to get them to switch it back. It shouldn't happen, but you always need to double check to make sure.

fillossofer

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

I just returned from Best Buy with my shiny new Note 2, that I got on a transferred upgrade. So I told the guy at BB what I wanted to do and he adamantly said it couldn't be done. Since there was nobody else waiting to be served, I asked if he minded trying it, and we could back out if it was going to force me to switch plans. He said sure. So, I have three smartphones on a family plan, two have unlimited data and one tiered 2GB. I had an upgrade available on one of the unlimited lines, so I had him transfer the upgrade to the tiered line and proceed with an upgrade. To his surprise, he was not prompted to force me to switch plans! At this point another rep came in and was told what we were doing - both of them were like "No Way! We learned something today!"

This confirms the loophole still exists and can be used at Best Buy, if you can convince them to do it EXACTLY as described in the OP.

Now to switch the Note 2 to my line...

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I think verizon fixed this loophole. I am getting "current Unlimited Data package is no longer available - Need to select a new package below..." when I am switching phones between my lines.

This is also NOT working even if I buy the phone full price.

I get, The device you've selected is not compatible with your current plan. Please select a Data Plan below. Using iPhone 4s and upgrade to iPhone 4

Did you already purchase and activate the phone on the line with tiered data first before trying to switch it back to the line with unlimited?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

This confirms the loophole still exists and can be used at Best Buy, if you can convince them to do it EXACTLY as described in the OP.
Just keep checking your account to make sure the Verizon software doesn't switch your unlimited data line to 2GB. If it does, call right away and get them to switch you back to unlimited data. Don't take No for an answer. Make them get supervisers, loyalty, etc. on the line and if not, hang up, call back and keep calling back until you get someone who will switch you back.

afmracer6

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

Just to confirm. I did the whole process today. Nothing fishy.
I did have to call in and reconnect the dumb phone. Verizon did it with no questions asked. ALL GOOD!

iissmart

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Does this work if I already upgraded my phone and took a 2GB plan downgrade from unlimited?

Basically, this is what I have:

Old Family Plan with four phones:
1) smartphone, unlimited, ready to upgrade
2) dumbphone, no data, ready to upgrade
3) smartphone, unlimited, upgraded prior to cutoff last year when they removed unlimited option (not ready to upgrade)
4) smartphone, 2GB, recently upgraded (my current phone)

Just trying to wrap my head around what I need to do to get my phone back to unlimited. Can someone help clarify?

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

Does this work if I already upgraded my phone and took a 2GB plan downgrade from unlimited?

Basically, this is what I have:

Old Family Plan with four phones:
1) smartphone, unlimited, ready to upgrade
2) dumbphone, no data, ready to upgrade
3) smartphone, unlimited, upgraded prior to cutoff last year when they removed unlimited option (not ready to upgrade)
4) smartphone, 2GB, recently upgraded (my current phone)

Just trying to wrap my head around what I need to do to get my phone back to unlimited. Can someone help clarify?

You cannot get back to unlimited on line 4 unless you're still in the return window for your phone. You can use this technique to try to keep the unlimited data on line 1 (and line 3 if this still works when it is ready to upgrade).

iissmart

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Thanks. Could I somehow swap the phone on line 4 with the phone on line 1? The people on lines 1 and 2 won't use much data so it doesn't matter if they get stuck with 2GB, but I use a lot of data and would love to somehow get this phone back on an unlimited line.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Thanks. Could I somehow swap the phone on line 4 with the phone on line 1?
Yes, then transfer line 1's upgrade to line 4 and use the upgrade on line 4.

- - - Updated - - -

You cannot get back to unlimited on line 4 unless you're still in the return window for your phone.
Return the phone on line 4 if you are still in the return period and get your unlimited back on line 4!!!!

iissmart

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

Yes, then transfer line 1's upgrade to line 4 and use the upgrade on line 4.

Return the phone on line 4 if you are still in the return period and get your unlimited back on line 4!!!!

I upgraded around the end of November. I was hoping I'd get used to 2GB of data but it just isn't happening.

Transferring line 1's upgrade to line 4 sounds like an option. Just so I understand, if I swapped the phone to line 1 does the phone number also swap to line 1? And it means the original phone on line 1 can't be upgraded? Can I do it with line 2 (the dumb phone) instead?

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

I upgraded around the end of November. I was hoping I'd get used to 2GB of data but it just isn't happening.

Transferring line 1's upgrade to line 4 sounds like an option. Just so I understand, if I swapped the phone to line 1 does the phone number also swap to line 1?

I believe you can swap the phone numbers between lines, but you might lose your unlimited data (according to what I've read, it's tied to both your line and the number). You may want to ask VZW about this first. The phone swap itself won't change the number associated with the line though, so if you swapped phones right now between line 1 and line 4, calling line 1's number would ring the phone that was on 4 and vice versa.

And it means the original phone on line 1 can't be upgraded? Can I do it with line 2 (the dumb phone) instead?

Let's say you're trying to keep your unlimited on line 1. You can use your available upgrade on the dumbphone line to get a smartphone, activate it on the dumbphone line, do an online swap to move the phone from line 2 to line 1, then reactivate your old dumbphone and cancel the data plan on line 2.This would preserve unlimited on line 1 and give you a new smartphone at the subsidized price.

If you also want to upgrade your dumbphone to another dumbphone on subsidy, you can transfer your upgrade from line 1 to line 2 and use it, again activating the phone on line 2. The key here is not to activate a subsidized phone on the unlimited line; that will trigger the loss of unlimited data. Once the phone is activated, you can move it to another line without losing unlimited data on the line you move it to.

tnmurdock

May 27, 2010
Visit site

So is it still possible to transfer upgrades? I am back on the family share plan with one unlimited line and one dumbphone.And if I want to add a few phones to the share plan. Can I do that? or do I have to have dumb lines already?

usethe4ce

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site

So, exactly how do you transfer the upgrade on Verizon's web site?

I only see where I can do Upgrade Device, and choose a transfer there, but unless I actually continue to purchase an upgrade, the transfer doesn't seem to stick.