[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

ItsRob

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Thanks for your reply. Also, will I eventually be able to transfer my upgrade(without it messing with my UDP) from Line 1(unlimited) to Line 2 even though Line 2 had already upgraded for me?

Basically, my sister is going to use the upgrade on her line(Line 2) to get me the S5, will she able to upgrade to a new phone if she already upgraded for me? She went to a Verizon store a couple days ago and they said apparently if you transfer your upgrade, the person who transferred their upgrade would lose UDP. Also, are you sure about the SIM Card situation? They won't mess with my Unlimited Data if I get a new SIM Card online? Sorry, just pretty paranoid about losing my UDP, I desperately need to keep it since I pretty much live in the woods. Thanks again!

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for your reply. Also, will I eventually be able to transfer my upgrade(without it messing with my UDP) from Line 1(unlimited) to Line 2 even though Line 2 had already upgraded for me?

Basically, my sister is going to use the upgrade on her line(Line 2) to get me the S5, will she able to upgrade to a new phone if she already upgraded for me? She went to a Verizon store a couple days ago and they said apparently if you transfer your upgrade, the person who transferred their upgrade would lose UDP. Also, are you sure about the SIM Card situation? They won't mess with my Unlimited Data if I get a new SIM Card online? Sorry, just pretty paranoid about losing my UDP, I desperately need to keep it since I pretty much live in the woods. Thanks again!

Yes, even after you use the Line 2 upgrade you can transfer upgrades to it to do more upgrades. I keep one dumb phone line (tiered date line works too) and channel 4 UDP line upgrades through this one dumb phone line.

"they said apparently if you transfer your upgrade, the person who transferred their upgrade would lose UDP"​

Verizon employees are lying. I used to give them the benefit of the doubt and think they are mis-informed but this is so not true and we've proved it so many times I've come to the conclusion their lying most likely to get you to give up your UDP and they get a commission. I'm curious how much bounty they get for each UDP they discontinue. Verizon store CSR's seem to be the worse because the online and telephone ones to seem to be so blatant about lying and getting you to give up your UDP. I recommend doing everything online to avoid getting spooked talking to Verizon CSR's.

Since you order the phone using the upgrade on Line 2 the SIM that comes with the phone will either be a virgin SIM that isn't associated with any phone number (most likely) or pre-associated with Line 2 (doubt). If it is a virgin SIM when you try to activate it on Line 1 it will ask you for the MEID of the phone and the number on the SIM, associate the Line 1 number with that SIM and activate your phone. If the SIM is pre-associated with Line 2 it will say that SIM is already associated with Line 2# and can't be used. Then you'd have to call Verizon and ask them to un-associate the SIM with Line 2 to free it to activate with Line 1. The reason I don't think it is pre-associated is that I think they only allow one SIM to be associated with one number at any time, otherwise if two SIMs could be active simultaneously on the same line you could have two phones both using the same number, so if they pre-associate the SIM with your Line 2 number your Line 2 phone's SIM would be disabled and would stop functioning before they shipped you the new phone.

But in either scenario you wouldn't lose unlimited.

ApexAftermath

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

So I went ahead the other night and transferred the upgrade from my unlimited line, to my wifes 2GB line and ordered a new M8. It will arrive Monday. I want to confirm I am doing things right. When it arrives I have been told to activate the phone like it is going on my wifes line and once done shut off the M8, and reactivate her phone back to her line, and THEN activate the M8 to my line. Does this all make sense? Anything I am missing here? This is the exact steps I have seen others post that are doing same exact thing as me so hopefully this is it.

ApexAftermath

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

Several posts have indicated you can skip Step 2 and just activate it back on your line. If you want to do step 2, then you'd have to put the original iPhone5 back on primary line to free the new phone. Then activate it on your line.

This is the big question I'm wondering about for when my new M8 arrives on Monday. I did my order on the verizon site. I transferred the upgrade on my unlimited line to my wifes 2GB line and ordered the M8. I've read a lot of people say I would need to first activate the phone on my wifes number, and then put her phone back, and THEN activate the M8 on my line. Am I understanding it correctly now I really don't even need to do that part and could just activate the phone on my line directly out of the box?

Sorry to post in this thread and the other unlimited thread but the amount of different opinions on this process just make me so nervous.

rlhammon

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Forgot to hit quote... but to the post asking about the BB gift card from HTC...

You don't get a gift card, you just get charged only $99 for the phone (plus tax if applicable). Much better than waiting on a gift card, especially if you are like me and have no desire to spend money at BB.

I ordered mine tonight (~6 PM Eastern) and BB sent me a message within 2 hours saying they see my order.

Hopethisworks

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

Long time lurker, had to make an account to post about this. I just ordered the phone around 20 min ago. Lets hope it works out

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I did this on a secondary line a couple of days ago, and the phone shipped already. The Best Buy site never gave me an option to keep my existing plan, though I only tried twice. Instead, I upgraded from my cell phone, using BB's mobile site. Got a screenshot showing the order# and "Keep Existing Data and Services".

Have you gotten the phone and activated it yet? I want to order for my second line but am worried I'll get knocked down to the 2gb plan.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

So I went ahead the other night and transferred the upgrade from my unlimited line, to my wifes 2GB line and ordered a new M8. It will arrive Monday. I want to confirm I am doing things right. When it arrives I have been told to activate the phone like it is going on my wifes line and once done shut off the M8, and reactivate her phone back to her line, and THEN activate the M8 to my line. Does this all make sense? Anything I am missing here? This is the exact steps I have seen others post that are doing same exact thing as me so hopefully this is it.

Yes that is how it works, but this is the wrong thread for that method.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

This is the big question I'm wondering about for when my new M8 arrives on Monday. I did my order on the verizon site. I transferred the upgrade on my unlimited line to my wifes 2GB line and ordered the M8. I've read a lot of people say I would need to first activate the phone on my wifes number, and then put her phone back, and THEN activate the M8 on my line. Am I understanding it correctly now I really don't even need to do that part and could just activate the phone on my line directly out of the box?

Sorry to post in this thread and the other unlimited thread but the amount of different opinions on this process just make me so nervous.

Others have posted that activating and deactivating isn't necessary. Personally I've done it twice and just activated directly to my unlimited line and didn't have a problem keeping my UDP. Once using an upgrade from a dumb phone and one transferring upgrade from one UDP line to the dumb phone and then activating on another UDP line. I haven't personally activated a phone back on the UDP from which the upgrade originally came from though.

kmag320

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I see the HTC One is cheaper on their site than Best Buy. Is there anyway to get that price?

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site

Ok so I activated this phone like about 15 hrs. ago and my contract date still has not been extended. Is that normal?

Brilliant folks! Just ordered upgraded an S5 from an S3. I originally did the store pick-up option, wen there and asked if I could take it home and activate it myself. He was about to let me until his manager overheard him and said that I couldn't leave without activating and I told them both why I was doing this. The manager promised me no matter what tricks I try it won't work, so i cancelled the order, went home and ordered again and had it sent to my house. Just got it and switched SIMs, powered u and it worked like a charm or so I think. Where are y'all looking at to see where it tells you that your contract is extended and you still have UDP? thanks

jlouang

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site

I see the HTC One is cheaper on their site than Best Buy. Is there anyway to get that price?

Order from the HTC website. It is power by best buy. Follow the same process as you would from BestBuy

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

MichaelLuke

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

I read through this thread, and another similar to it, and I'm still not 100% certain regarding my situation. I have an iPhone 4S, and want to use the loophole to upgrade to an LG G3 when it finally comes out. Both phones use a micro sim card, but the iPhone 4S is a 3G phone. Can I use the micro sim from the iPhone 4S, or does it have to be a sim card from a 4G device. I'm sorry if I missed the answer, I'm pretty inexperienced with phones, and this all a little confusing to me.

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

I'm trying to sign in to Verizon at Bestbuy but it keep saying this, "Looks like your Verizon account is password protected. Please enter your Verizon account password below to continue". I am entering all the correct info. Whats up with this?

Last edited:

exarkun

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

Forgot to hit quote... but to the post asking about the BB gift card from HTC...

You don't get a gift card, you just get charged only $99 for the phone (plus tax if applicable). Much better than waiting on a gift card, especially if you are like me and have no desire to spend money at BB.

I ordered mine tonight (~6 PM Eastern) and BB sent me a message within 2 hours saying they see my order.

Thanks for the clarification. I won't wonder anymore where my gift card is now.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

I'm trying to sign in to Verizon at Bestbuy but it keep saying this, "Looks like your Verizon account is password protected. Please enter your Verizon account password below to continue". I am entering all the correct info. Whats up with this?

I believe it's asking for the billing password

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

I read through this thread, and another similar to it, and I'm still not 100% certain regarding my situation. I have an iPhone 4S, and want to use the loophole to upgrade to an LG G3 when it finally comes out. Both phones use a micro sim card, but the iPhone 4S is a 3G phone. Can I use the micro sim from the iPhone 4S, or does it have to be a sim card from a 4G device. I'm sorry if I missed the answer, I'm pretty inexperienced with phones, and this all a little confusing to me.

Yes you will need a 4g lte SIM card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricks

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

I figured out my sign in issue. I just placed an order and everything said "Keep existing plan". The wait begins with the worrying about my data...

kygunner01

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site

Successful upgrade!
After sifting through 100+ pages and following the advice many have posted I successfully upgraded to an S5 this week and retained my unlimited data. I will lay out the details of my situation in case it helps others.

Primary line: Galaxy Nexus (unlimited data)- eligible for upgrade
Line 2: basic "dumb" line- eligible for upgrade

I went on verizon website and upgraded line 2 ordering a galaxy S5. Had to choose to change that line from $9.99 to a 2gb tiered data line. (this is only temporary)

When the phone arrived in the mail 3 days later I did not turn it on. (This is a common mistake many have made). It is unclear at this point whether the SIM is coming preassigned or not.

From this point the switch was easy because the S5 and galaxy nexus use the same Sim card size. I simply removed the new sim...inserted my old sim and turned the new phone on.

It was that simple and i was up and running. No online activation needed.

I never had to involve a VZW associate. Never had to activate it on line 2, deactivate, then reactivate on primary. Skipped all that as has been suggested by others.

Since the phone was never activated on line 2 it remained a basic account $9.99/month.

The only problem I have read about in not using the new sim is not being able to use the isis mobile wallet feature...no biggie for me.

btw...not all the vzw in store reps are evil. They are just commission hungry. Before I took the plunge I did go into a store and ask if possible to upgrade and keep my unlimited data. The rep I spoke to was very upfront with me and told me it was possible but he couldn't do it in the store. He then suggested steps similar to what have been set forth in this thread.

Hope this can help someone in a similar position

Long live unlimited data!!!!

p.s A quick means of transferring pictures and video from one phone to the other is to take advantage of the near field communication feature. I downloaded a free app...think it was called super beam...tapped the phones together and transferred over 2500 pics and videos in about 15 minutes...much quicker than using bluetooth or verizon cloud and don't have to mess with loading on computer first. just fyi.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

When the phone arrived in the mail 3 days later I did not turn it on. (This is a common mistake many have made). It is unclear at this point whether the SIM is coming preassigned or not.

Thanks for the follow up,

I think this is an issue with the SIM is more with doing the Best Buy method. In that method you've ordered the phone on your UDP line and the only thing keeping you from loosing your UDP is avoiding using the SIM that comes withe phone with your existing UDP SIM. Since it appears those SIMS come pre-assigned to your UDP line it will activate as soon as it's powered up completing the link and loss of UDP.

With the switch upgrade to dumb / tiered data line the SIM is either clean or associated with the dumb / tiered data line. If it activates it doesn't take away the UDP like above. If it is a clean SIM like I suspect it is you can just use it to activate on your UDP if you want. If it is already associated it would be associated with your dumb phone line and worse that can happen is it says you can't use it, it's associated with another number. In neither case would you lose your unlimited line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessibilitys91